Bicycle Riders Beware

Lost in LOS

You can no doubt afford this one, that out-ranges any pipe

http://www.smartstun...3.html&catid=12

I think reliability would be a huge issue for cheap units like these. You're not going to use it often (probably never) and rechargeable batteries don't last forever. Maybe by the time you get to use it it'll tickle the attacker and make him laugh.

It has a 1 year warranty, so it isnt the cheap stuff,so that is a 1 year insurance for 320 dollar, if he want to replace it the minute the warranty expire

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subject: Re :Bicycle Riders Beware - Pattaya Forum - Thailand Forum

Date: Mon, 10 Sept 2012 23:56:29 +1000

Would you kindly post this on the Forum

1. There has been a regular gang operating around the intersection of Jomtien 2nd Rd. and Soi Chaiyaput for at least 8 months, probably much longer.

A Dutch friend of mine on his M/C was assaulted 6 or 8 months ago with the reo bars at night just near that intersection, when the intersection was still rough dirt and gravel, and he was EXTREMELY lucky to get out alive as these guys obviously put no value on human life.

2. Obviously the Police don't care , as many incidents including my friend's have been reported to them, and they could easily set up a regular decoy operation.

Obviously there has been no attempt to stamp out this ongoing murderously intent gang of despots.

3. I daily ride a 30,000 baht beautiful Aluminum bicycle around Jomtien for an hour, with my leather lap bag slung around my handle bars, never containing less than about 10,000 baht.

I never venture away from Soi's 1 to 12 / Beach Rd. 2nd Rd. pocket , but now I can see with me riding possibly the nicest bicycle in JOmtien and a lap pouch in obvious sight, and only occasionally wearing my bike crash helmet, that I have been making a target out of myself even though I never leave heavily populated areas, so I will immediately modify my behavior !

Thank you for the lesson.

Edited by koto

, with my leather lap bag slung around my handle bars, never containing less than about 10,000 baht.

Why would you carry that much cash with you on a bike ride? Surely a few hundred baht - maybe 1000 max would be more than enough? If you're doing a ride for exercise, surely you can leave all your valuables including jewellery and cash at home. Perhaps carry a cheap mobile just in case you need to contact someone urgently in the case of an accident. It makes me wonder how I survived on my bike rides in the 70's and 80's without a mobile phone. I stopped riding bikes before mobiles were invented.

Edited by tropo

1. There has been a regular gang operating around the intersection of Jomtien 2nd Rd. and Soi Chaiyaput for at least 8 months, probably much longer.

A Dutch friend of mine on his M/C was assaulted 6 or 8 months ago with the reo bars at night just near that intersection, when the intersection was still rough dirt and gravel, and he was EXTREMELY lucky to get out alive as these guys obviously put no value on human life.

2. Obviously the Police don't care , as many incidents including my friend's have been reported to them, and they could easily set up a regular decoy operation to trap them.

Obviously there has been no attempt to stamp out this ongoing murderously intent gang of despots.

3. I daily ride a 30,000 baht beautiful aluminium bicycle around Jomtien for an hour, with my leather lap bag slung around my handle bars, never containing less than about 10,000 baht.

I never venture away from Soi's 1 to 12 / Beach Rd. 2nd Rd. pocket , but now I can see with me riding possibly the nicest bicycle in Jomtien and a lap pouch in obvious sight, and only occasionally wearing my bike crash helmet, that I have been making a target out of myself even though I never leave heavily populated areas, so I will immediately modify my behaviour !

It is / was nothing other than 8 years of bad habit , for me to carry such an amount.

Though I am the only one in my group or 6 or 8 close friends who EVER has change of a 1,000 so the expectation that they will continuously ask me has fueled the habit.

As I said at the end my initial comment, I will now modify my behaviour as I know I have been lucky, though its NEVER around my waist when I go out but ALWAYS in a bacpack.

It is / was nothing other than 8 years of bad habit , for me to carry such an amount.

Though I am the only one in my group or 6 or 8 close friends who EVER has change of a 1,000 so the expectation that they will continuously ask me has fueled the habit.

As I said at the end my initial comment, I will now modify my behaviour as I know I have been lucky, though its NEVER around my waist when I go out but ALWAYS in a bacpack.

I make it a habit never to carry more than about 3000 in cash or important bank cards or documents (including passport) at any time, anywhere - unless I'm going somewhere to buy something which costs more or I need the card or docs. This has been a habit living in Thailand and Philippines over the last decade.

I always laugh when people say dont carry so much cash or a nice phone or you will be robbed. Do you really think the criminals have x-ray vision? If you dont flash your wallet or phone, how will the criminals know the guy that has 100 baht or 100,000 baht in their wallet. Same with the phone.

Your probably safer if they rob you and you have something valuable to give them, you give them 100 baht and an old phone and they will probably strike you in the head because of it

I always laugh when people say dont carry so much cash or a nice phone or you will be robbed. Do you really think the criminals have x-ray vision? If you dont flash your wallet or phone, how will the criminals know the guy that has 100 baht or 100,000 baht in their wallet. Same with the phone.

Your probably safer if they rob you and you have something valuable to give them, you give them 100 baht and an old phone and they will probably strike you in the head because of it

I don't carry much cash anywhere I go. It's to reduce risk of loss if sh*t does happen. Also as another poster suggested, if you threw your wallet and a cheap phone at them they may have left you alone.

I wish I could walk around with 10K baht to spend but would be a good way to end having no money left for food at the end of the month :( Usually I have 100-300 baht with me so I know I won't get stuck in a bar too long

Edited by yoslim

2. Obviously the Police don't care , as many incidents including my friend's have been reported to them, and they could easily set up a regular decoy operation to trap them.

3. I daily ride a 30,000 baht beautiful aluminium bicycle around Jomtien for an hour, with my leather lap bag slung around my handle bars, never containing less than about 10,000 baht.

I never venture away from Soi's 1 to 12 / Beach Rd. 2nd Rd. pocket , but now I can see with me riding possibly the nicest bicycle in Jomtien and a lap pouch in obvious sight, and only occasionally wearing my bike crash helmet, that I have been making a target out of myself even though I never leave heavily populated areas, so I will immediately modify my behaviour !

Very clever!! Not!

I read the OP post and my gut tells me this type of violence is extremely rare.. I could be completely wrong and commend the OP for posting but still feel it is safe to bike here in Pattaya with the exception of the traffic. I never witnessed a Thai robbing a tourist nor have I had any issues with violence here. I'm not careful generally speaking. Don't wander down dark roads on foot at 3AM in the morning as a general habit or bike on deserted roads around Pattaya. In Chiang Mai I do all the time and have had no problems.

Is violence more of a concern here compared to big cities in Europe and the USA? Maybe it is and this thread has got me thinking luck has been on my side the 7 years here (only 3 in Pattaya). I was told about motorcyclists clubbing cyclists prior to this thread and thought the incident(s) wasn't a going concern. Just a drunk Thai trying to make a quick buck.

Starting to think I have had blinders on here and might need to be a little more careful. No more 5:30 am training runs down dark roads for example.

Edited by siamamerican

I read the OP post and my gut tells me this type of violence is extremely rare.. I could be completely wrong and commend the OP for posting but still feel it is safe to bike here in Pattaya with the exception of the traffic. I never witnessed a Thai robbing a tourist nor have I had any issues with violence here. I'm not careful generally speaking. Don't wander down dark roads on foot at 3AM in the morning as a general habit or bike on deserted roads around Pattaya. In Chiang Mai I do all the time and have had no problems.

Is violence more of a concern here compared to big cities in Europe and the USA? Maybe it is and this thread has got me thinking luck has been on my side the 7 years here (only 3 in Pattaya). I was told about motorcyclists clubbing cyclists prior to this thread and thought the incident(s) wasn't a going concern. Just a drunk Thai trying to make a quick buck.

Starting to think I have had blinders on here and might need to be a little more careful. No more 5:30 am training runs down dark roads for example.

I think the main difference is that in Europe or USA, if a couple of guys were regularly attacking cyclists with iron bars in the same area, the Police would have clamped down on it immediately.

Edited by I Like Thai

I think the main difference is that in Europe or USA, if a couple of guys were regularly attacking cyclists with iron bars in the same area, the Police would have clamped down on it immediately.

If cyclists were being attacked with iron bars in Australia the police would be taking it very seriously. They'd likely be vigilante cyclists from cycle clubs after them (the thugs) too.

This just wouldn't happen.

Highly illegal in Thailand and most countries - most dealers (including the one in the link) will not ship these items abroad, as they are also breaking the law by doing so.

Thanks, but who would care about legalities if it can save you from a lethal attack. The cops don't seem overly concerned about these thugs and their illegal activities, do they? Would the cops lock a person up for using an illegal device on a couple of thugs who attacked that person with iron bars?

Edited by tropo

Highly illegal in Thailand and most countries - most dealers (including the one in the link) will not ship these items abroad, as they are also breaking the law by doing so.

Thanks, but who would care about legalities if it can save you from a lethal attack. The cops don't seem overly concerned about these thugs and their illegal activities, do they? Would the cops lock a person up for using an illegal device on a couple of thugs who attacked that person with iron bars?

Probably not. I know an Aussie guy who wanders around with a cattle prod. He reckons the police have seen him use it and dont care.

I dont carry any weapons but I can run pretty fast if need be.smile.png

, with my leather lap bag slung around my handle bars, never containing less than about 10,000 baht.

Why would you carry that much cash with you on a bike ride? Surely a few hundred baht - maybe 1000 max would be more than enough? If you're doing a ride for exercise, surely you can leave all your valuables including jewellery and cash at home. Perhaps carry a cheap mobile just in case you need to contact someone urgently in the case of an accident. It makes me wonder how I survived on my bike rides in the 70's and 80's without a mobile phone. I stopped riding bikes before mobiles were invented.

KOTO Just put this post in for a friend, I don't pack, flash, cash, gold, just the gold fillings in my teeth...

KOTO Just put this post in for a friend, I don't pack, flash, cash, gold, just the gold fillings in my teeth...

Yo Bro

Hope your healing OK, Anything I can do, I'm just a bark away, cha,cha,cha...

i ride my bike sometimes starting at 5am for 1,2 or three hours never had any probs with thais dogs or anything else, regarding dogs i think sometimes people make a prob by antagonising them, by the way im 71yrs so maybe its just my attitude or good luck but ive never been scared of man nor beast(angry women frighten the hell out of me though),im not going to change routine anyway.

i ride my bike sometimes starting at 5am for 1,2 or three hours never had any probs with thais dogs or anything else, regarding dogs i think sometimes people make a prob by antagonising them, by the way im 71yrs so maybe its just my attitude or good luck but ive never been scared of man nor beast(angry women frighten the hell out of me though),im not going to change routine anyway.

I had 3 dogs run directly in front of my Ninja a few years ago, my knee still hurts. One time in 6+ years

I rode my bike for 2+ years on that route and only got attacked once.

all I can say is Good Luck

I ride my bike on the back roads of Jomtien daily from Jomtien Beach Condo, through the ponds area, past the go-cart track and over to Thepprasit, but only in daylight. My wife tells me it's unsafe. Perhaps I should heed her warning.

I've never encountered any problems in several years now, but I am aware of potential problems so I look over my shoulder whenever I hear a vehicle approaching.

I take it carrying and using a Taser is illegal. What exactly would the charge/fine be if you were caught with one? Would they look the other way if you used it successfully to defend yourself and the perp was apprehended as a result? I would only brandish or use a weapon if I felt my life or well being was in jeopardy, otherwise evasion and escape is the best way out.

So if you don't wear a helmet for normal reasons, there's another reason to wear one!

Many incidents never make the news. My wife witnessed an older man walking with a Thai gf in plain daylight right in front of Jomtien Beach Condos get accosted by mc thieves who wanted his gold rings. As it was his first time in Thailand, he initially resisted, so they chopped off his fingers to get the rings, and got clean away.

I was standing in the same spot waiting for a baht bus once a few months back and two mc thieves scooped in to grab the shoulder bag of a Russian couple who had their backs turned. Just out of luck he moved at the last second and the bag grabber missed. I instinctively tried to knock the guy off the bike, but didn't succeed which was probably a good thing. Afterwards I realized that wasn't a good idea.

There simply isn't enough police presence in the entire area.

Time to move to Hua Hin perhaps...

Edited by dangnanglao

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

are you for real? the guy defended himself from a potentially lethal beating AND thwarted a robbery. i would think the message he sent was not all farang are pushovers like that guy Gone.

the gold chain he could have left at home, but why should he not listen to music or be available should someone call him. I suspect that had he crashed and written a story about lying injured at the side of the road, without any way to call for help, you would be giving him stick for riding without a phone in case of emergencies.

As for riding away "at a fast speed", he makes it pretty clear he was trapped by them and riding away was not an option. he had already outwitted him twice.

Props to the OP, and Gone, perhaps it is better you stay indoors making sure the rest of us look good.

Very clever!! Not!

a 30,000 baht bike is nothing. the nicest bike in jomtien? i dont think so.

a good set of forks cant set you back more.

Very clever!! Not!

a 30,000 baht bike is nothing. the nicest bike in jomtien? i dont think so.

a good set of forks cant set you back more.

Indeed, and certainly not a decent frame, or set of gears, maybe a decent pair of wheels