Esol (Uk)

My wife as just been to enrol at a local collage for her ESOL Course to be told that its going to be £10 per hour and the course runs for 70 hours, So a grand total of £700 plus the exam fee of £40.

when questioning the charge, I was told that because she will have been in the UK for 11 Months and 1 week, then she has to pay full price. I then asked her , well what if she starts her course on the 3rd Oct on the 1st anniversary of my wife coming to the UK, The lady told me that the price would drop to £240 plus the fee for her exam.

the lady was a bit worried about the UKBA changes for the Iir and recommends that she also passes the life in the UK too. That begs the question, My wife only needs the life in the UK so why do the ESOL.

I am not sure what student perks my wife will get, But my wife will be travelling a 40 mile round trip on the local bus at £10 a time.

Maybe worthwhile in studying the life in the UK book and my wife would break even if she passes on her 28th attempt LOL

My wife arrived last year in the UK on the 3rd October, So anyone who needs to pass this course, Well they need to get their wife in the UK by Aug, to miss out on the £10 per hour. The lady is trying to delay my wifes starting day until Oct 3rd to reduce the cost.

Malc

Edited by malct

If her temporary leave to remain was granted before the 9th July 2012 she can take the ESOL course (with citizenship materials) and has to demonstrate progression by one level. Indefinite leave to remain can be applied for after 2 years and naturalisation after 3 years.

As she came over last October she needs to pass the LitUK test or progress on a suitable ESOL course. The college may charge based on the date term started but the course my wife attended could be picked up at any stage through the year because there were students with quite different levels of English. The course was great for increasing her confidence!

We're in a similar situation. My wife will just miss out on applying for ILR before the new rules come in next year, but I still enquired about the ESOL course at our local college as a way of helping to bring her English up to the new B1 level. Our college were actually very helpful and are doing everything they can to help us avoid the "international student" fee's. My Mrs will have been in the UK 10 months when the course starts later this month. As she will only be a couple of months short of the one year in country requirement to avoid the higher fee's, they told me that one way around it would be to put my wife on a "personal developement" course which is free. They said she would still sit in on the ESOL class but would not be officially enrolled. After Christmas when the college go back my wife will have been here a year and so she could then officially join the remainder of the course and pay the standard fee which for our college is £300. They told me that they would call me this week to confirm whats happening.

PS. After reading others experiences of the ESOL courses I'm surprised at how varied the different college ESOL courses seem to be. For example the op states their course is only 70hrs for £240, another I've heard about is for 3 months @ £380. Our college course is a full college year of 33 weeks, 10.5hrs per week spread over 3 days per week @ £300. Its broken down into 3 phases, speaking & listening, reading then writing. That seems like a lot more study in comparison for roughly the same price. Do the colleges not all follow a similar study plan? How can one college charge the same for a 70hr course than another does for a full years study?

ESOL courses do differ! My wife did a life skills ESOL course that included citizenship materials and was one full day a week. She passed her University of Cambridge ESOL exams with ease. This was three terms.

The course was surprisingly detailed and I had to relearn a few grammatical terms!

Not directly relevant but these courses can be free for those on Income Support and Job Seekers Allowance!

Its hard to believe the different charges, If my wife arrived in may and i set her up with the Esol course, It would cost me £10 per hour. If i left it to the following year, We would get the cheaper rate but it would be pushing it to get the qualification before applying for the iir.

I was going to look for other places in Cumbria, but Carlisle is the best one to get to.

I think they are only doing one class a week and that's in the morning.

Malc

My wife has an appointment on Thursday regarding enrolling on a ESOL course. I am guessing we will come across the same higher rate fee as she has only joined me in the UK about 3 weeks ago. This higher rate wasn't mentioned on any of the application forms, phone calls or enrolment letter guessing they will break the news to us face to face. Will update my experience on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

This higher rate wasn't mentioned on any of the application forms, phone calls or enrolment letter

If its like our college its probably hidden in some small print somewhere. It wasn't obvious in the brochure we received under the course info but further on in the payment section it said something like "The fees indicated in this guide will differ for students who are classed as being from overseas"

hi.

My husbands also got to do his ESOL exam. we went to the local adult education college in Leicester where he's recently completed his ESOL pre entry and they quoted us £13.50 an hour and said the course is 160 hours long!!! they said its this much because he hasn't been in the Uk for 3 years. After being here 3 years it would only be £4 an hour.

I then got in touch with Leicester college who have quoted me £9 an hour so he's having an assessment there on the 17th.

Its still going to cost a ridiculous amount of money!

Cheers.

If your Thai partner can speak and understand English then try the on-line audio course 45 days for £15.

My wife passed after practising the 1000 multiple choice questions and answers updated daily. (2-3hrs per day).

Went and sat the Life in the UK test got 22/24. After 4 weeks practice!

Try it for yourself for the sake of £15 and all the inconvenience and expense, you might thank me.

Not sure this is allowed Mods but i'll post the link, I've nothing to do with this site, just helping other members out.

http://www.britishness-test.co.uk/

• Like 2

The whole point of doing an ESOL course is to improve English skills! It is not just to allow them to pass a test!

The courses help build confidence and the life skills version helps with coping with day to day life in the UK.

An on-line course will not get round the need to demonstrate a qualification to B1 level but may be of benefit to those applying for ILR under the old rules (before Oct 2013)

Me & the wife's experience after a meeting with our local adult education college today is as follows.

They run 3 courses

ESOL Entry Level (whole year £451, 24 weeks £289 & 12 weeks £147 these prices include the test)

Courses above are 3 hours once a week in school terms.

As well as a ESOL Level 1 & 2 Speaking & Listening course (£378 including test).

The problem arises that she has not been a resident of the UK for a year. Only 3 weeks in fact and that means she will have to pay double the prices above and the next course starts in 2 weeks.

If I've done the maths correctly it will work out about £7.50 a hour for a 3 hour day once a week.

After the initial assessment she has enough knowledge / skills in English listening, reading and writing to join straight on the ESOL course level 2.

After her 1st year she hopefully will achieve level 2 & the following year will enrol on ESOL Level 3.

We have decided to do this course to help her enhance her English listening reading and writing for future opportunities with work etc.

This intern will hopefully make her B1 & LITUK easier when it arises in a couple of years.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The whole point of doing an ESOL course is to improve English skills! It is not just to allow them to pass a test!

The courses help build confidence and the life skills version helps with coping with day to day life in the UK.

An on-line course will not get round the need to demonstrate a qualification to B1 level but may be of benefit to those applying for ILR under the old rules (before Oct 2013)

Thanks for that bobrussell (before Oct 2013) Was not aware they had moved the goalposts again......

09 July 2012

A number of changes to the Immigration Rules come into effect on 9 July 2012. These changes will affect non-European Economic Area (non-EEA) nationals applying to enter or remain in the UK under the family migration route.

These changes will define the basis on which a person can enter or remain in the UK on the basis of their family or private life, unifying consideration under the rules and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

If you already have leave to enter or remain in the UK, on the basis of being the spouse or partner of a settled person, you will need to meet the rules which were in force before 9 July 2012 if you apply for settlement.

The changes include:

• introducing a new minimum income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of a spouse or partner, or fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationality, with a higher threshold for any children also sponsored; £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child;
  • publishing, in casework guidance, a list of factors associated with genuine and non-genuine relationships, to help UK Border Agency caseworkers to focus on these issues;
  • extending the minimum probationary period for settlement for non-EEA spouses and partners from two years to five years, to test the genuineness of the relationship;
  • abolishing immediate settlement for the migrant spouses and partner where a couple have been living together overseas for at least 4 years, and requiring them to complete a 5 year probationary period;
  • from October 2013, requiring all applicants for settlement to pass the Life in the UK Test and present an English language speaking and listening qualification at B1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages unless they are exempt; and
  • allowing adult and elderly dependants to settle in the UK only where they can demonstrate that, as a result of age, illness or disability, they require a level of long-term personal care that can only be provided by a relative in the UK, and requiring them to apply from overseas rather than switch in the UK from another category, for example as a visitor.

The changes to the Immigration Rules were announced by the Government on 11 June 2012 and they form part of the Government's programme of reform of the immigration routes. The changes are being introduced following wide consultation and expert advice from the Migration Advisory Committee.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

My wife is due to start a 35 Day course ending in June 2013 on thursday, We have just found out that there is a Esol course at the local libary that runs over 22 Days and ends in march, but the course is a 3 hour session and not 2 hours on the 35 Day Course plus the local course is £150 compared to £240 at carlisle collage

We are still able to cancel my wifes course in carlisle and attend the course thats local, but i am not totally sure if the local course will give my wife the correct qualifcation, I have Phoned the local libary, but they are unable to give me any answers and just told us to turn up tomorrow evening to enrol and start the course.

looking at the web site http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/Content/Internet//537/680/6438/41176142850.pdf i am not sure if its the correct course. Has anyone's wife attended this ESOL course for use with IIR

Regards

Malc

• 9 months later...

Just a up-date

My wife has passed her ESOL entry level 2 in speaking and listening and she has also passed ESOL Entry level 1 in Reading. We have a letter saying that she has made a improvement and the course included citizenship material.

Due to the confusion last year on what course my wife should be doing, She also enrolled with Carlisle Collage and we believe that she passed that exam also, but still waiting for word back.

Regarding the application for the IIR (Set M) we are planning on submitting all the certificates and letters from the council ran course and the Collage course.

We are now just about sorted for submitting the IIR application.

hi.

My husbands also got to do his ESOL exam. we went to the local adult education college in Leicester where he's recently completed his ESOL pre entry and they quoted us £13.50 an hour and said the course is 160 hours long!!! they said its this much because he hasn't been in the Uk for 3 years. After being here 3 years it would only be £4 an hour.

I then got in touch with Leicester college who have quoted me £9 an hour so he's having an assessment there on the 17th.

Its still going to cost a ridiculous amount of money!

Cheers.

If you live in Leicester it could be worth checking out your local library as many do esol courses and the most you will pay is £6 an hour less if you are on some benefits

If her temporary leave to remain was granted before the 9th July 2012 she can take the ESOL course (with citizenship materials) and has to demonstrate progression by one level. Indefinite leave to remain can be applied for after 2 years and naturalisation after 3 years.

As she came over last October she needs to pass the LitUK test or progress on a suitable ESOL course. The college may charge based on the date term started but the course my wife attended could be picked up at any stage through the year because there were students with quite different levels of English. The course was great for increasing her confidence!

Sorry to raise this point again but I amongst others have been confused by the new upcoming language requirements. I previously posted my wife's situation and have been advised that she needs to complete a B1 in English and pass the life in the UK test. She arrived in the UK in October 2011 on a fiancé visa and was granted FLR in March 2012 after we married (ie. before July 2012) from the post above it implies that she only has to pass an ESOL with citizenship materials to apply for Indefinite leave to remain - is that the case? I'm not trying to be contrary or tread on anyone's toes but hope it offers some clarity for others in the same boat as myself.

For anyone who applies for ILR before 28th October 2013 an approved ESOL with citizenship course from an accredited college or an LitUK pass will suffice.

Anyone who applies for ILR on or after 28th October 2013 will need to have passed the LitUK test and achieved B1 or better in English speaking and listening.

As your wife entered the UK with a fiancé visa and then obtained FLR in March 2012 she will not be eligible to apply for ILR until March 2014; so will have to meet the new language requirement.

See here.

I think Bob's post which you quote is referring to someone who will be able to apply for ILR before 28th October 2013.

• Like 1