Cyclist Attacked While Riding In Jomtien

wenne

my route is now Jomtien to the beach then right at the police station and riding throughout Pratamak hill and back. Nice ride, but not as enjoyable as my previous ride, but much safer. The people that own the bicycle shop says they would still avoid the old end of jomtien beach road route

• 9 months later...

Going for a short bikeride carrying a goldchain, iPhone and your wallet doesn't sound very streetsmart to me.

Sounds more like a story made after a few bottles, at least now we all know

I am surprised there are not more accounts of this nature reported on TV. A single bicycle rider putting in some kilometers riding on a two tracker or paved surface in the countryside or through the paddies. It is ideal riding........smooth surface, no traffic, only an occasional 100cc wave rider passing by on their way home.

It is common knowledge that Western bike riders carry Baht (to hire a red truck in case of a breakdown); a cell phone in the event of a health problem and are very naive trusting souls. Also common knowledge that they can easily be run off the road in a desolate spot with no witnesses by cretins with robbery in mind. This is not a victim-less crime. As well an expensive bicycle is easily turned into cash in this third world environment

I ride a 7200 Trek rigged out with all the extras through the paddies from Hang Dong to San Patong to Lamphun weekly. It has become a meditation to me with cardio exercise as an added benefit. Four years ago as I was finding my way by GPS down a desolate paddy road when I noticed in my rear view a single rider motorbike behind matching my speed. Eventually he passed slowly checking me out disappearing behind a distant treeline. A kilometer further he appears again and slowly passes.

I am becoming alarmed now as I did not have a single weapon with me for defense...... not even a nail file. I turned at the next crossroad heading for a village and safety only to encounter him parked on the side of the road, smiling and signaling me to stop. Giving him a wide berth I sped on realizing he was probably a ladyboy looking for an encounter.

That occurrence taught me a lesson............never be caught in the open without a weapon for defense. I now always carry a 5" switchblade knife in a holster strapped to my seat post; a 2 foot x 3/4 " bamboo swagger stick with a 3" sharpened nail, mounted on the seat post directly in front of the rear tire and I wear a wide leather belt around my waist(under my riding shirt) with a heavy USMC buckle, edges sharpened.

I now ride with impunity...........anywhere I want. I am 72 years old and haven't lived this long just on luck. Better prepared and never have to use it than ......?

Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger, you are ready for any combat with this equipment. I really enjoy to read your post :-)

• Like 1