Chiang Mai Governor Who Vowed To Crack Down On Red-Shirt Protesters Sidelined

Lite Beer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interesting to see if there is any change, yes. Main test will be during the high season, when bars have the money to make a rule-bending effort. (Applies to places frequented by holidaying Thais just the same)

So not much changed last night. Loi Kroh bars were still turning down the music and preparing to close around midnight. The reggae area was still going around 2am, when I left. Handful of Loi Kroh bars in the boxing area were open well past 3am, when I threw in the towel and went home.

HOWEVER, I did see one thing very different, which I have not seen for a long, long time. There was an elephant pandering to the tourists out front of the bars next to Johns Place. First time I have seen an elephant in town since the ban went into affect a long time back. A sign of things to come?

-Mestizo

Now this elephant, this well past 3am homegoing had nothing to do with this sighting right?drunk.gif

• Like 1

Surely the really sad news is the transfer of Lt Col Dussadee who was investigating cases of graft and appeared to be getting too close to some government politicians.

It's always been the case with all of the Thaksin run governments - get rid of any diligent anti-corruption investigators & appoint a pro-corruption crony in his/her place. Just like the current ruling party itself.

• Like 1

Surely the really sad news is the transfer of Lt Col Dussadee who was investigating cases of graft and appeared to be getting too close to some government politicians.

It's always been the case with all of the Thaksin run governments - get rid of any diligent anti-corruption investigators & appoint a pro-corruption crony in his/her place. Just like the current ruling party itself.

I detest Thaksin, but have to ask, " and before he came on the scene, was there no corruption ??"

• Like 1

Indeed, this ex-governor took too much a risk for Thaïland ! Confronted to a violent and/or illegal activity, the governor should look first who is responsible for this and let the "authorized people/groups" be violent/illegal ... Violence and/or illegality are permitted for certain peoples/groups, and non-violent/legal activities of others are NOT ! Is it a dictatorship or not, after all ?
He was more of a risk to tourists actually: http://www.travelwireasia.com/2011/03/what-killed-seven-people-in-chiang-mai-thailand/

PhiPhidon,

His transfer was only a coincidence....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

For Rubi:

Previous governor was Suwat Tantiphat who apparently was moved to Lop Buri.

Wiki has k. Suwat as being Lopburi Governor from November13,2006-September30,2007. That means he is not the direct predecessor of ML Panadda, but from even longer ago. I can find the gentleman as governor in ChiangMai at least in 2003 and in 2006.

This is the oldest I find on k. Suwat http://www.chiangmai.../041/news.shtml

The earthquake remarks below suggest that k. Suwat may have returned as Chiang Mai governor AFTER his break in Lopburi?

BTW with some remarks here regarding ML Panadda having been a 'tourist risk', it seems that when k. Suwat was governor in ChiangMai he also downplayed some things, like unimportant earthquakes. This seems to have been 2011

"Chiang Mai Governor, Suwat Tantiphat, downplayed last week's warning from the Department of Mineral Resources that 16 districts in the northern province were in an earthquake risk zone, describing the report as 'just scientific data'."

http://www.behindthe...arthquake1.html

Never seen such a circus. And these buffoons are running a country?

Yes,sadly they do and only God knows for how long.sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Yessiree, the night of the long knifes is around the corner, and LOORDY how the hears are rolling downhill

its a sight to see, first the SCUM Chalerm and his evil brood.

The pilot association should revoke the flying licence of TS private pilot for flying a criminal around the world.

Aiding and abetting a criminal is a felony.

I detest Thaksin, but have to ask, " and before he came on the scene, was there no corruption ??"

Aahh...uuhh .then it is ok.

For Rubi:

Wiki has k. Suwat as being Lopburi Governor from November13,2006-September30,2007. That means he is not the direct predecessor of ML Panadda, but from even longer ago. I can find the gentleman as governor in ChiangMai at least in 2003 and in 2006.

The earthquake remarks below suggest that k. Suwat may have returned as Chiang Mai governor AFTER his break in Lopburi?

BTW with some remarks here regarding ML Panadda having been a 'tourist risk', it seems that when k. Suwat was governor in ChiangMai he also downplayed some things, like unimportant earthquakes. This seems to have been 2011

"Chiang Mai Governor, Suwat Tantiphat, downplayed last week's warning from the Department of Mineral Resources that 16 districts in the northern province were in an earthquake risk zone, describing the report as 'just scientific data'."

Near but no cigar, I'm afraid. If you went downtown you might strike lucky. You could even try a search on this very forum.

For Rubi:

Near but no cigar, I'm afraid. If you went downtown you might strike lucky. You could even try a search on this very forum.

You speak in riddles, dear phiphidon.

- what of my remarks might be 'near' ?

- why would I go downtown?

- Downtown Chiang Mai or Bangkok where I live?

- search this forum? For what? It seems we found the previous governor

Yes there was lot's of corruption before Thaksin came on to the scene.

It was under his management that it was honed to such a fine point and made blatantly obvious.

The last thing he wants is to have a corruption buster in his home town of Chiang Mai.

Not to say there was a lot of it going on but the seed was being planted.

Yes there was lot's of corruption before Thaksin came on to the scene.

It was under his management that it was honed to such a fine point and made blatantly obvious.

The last thing he wants is to have a corruption buster in his home town of Chiang Mai.

Not to say there was a lot of it going on but the seed was being planted.

And how much corruption has the corruption buster, busted in his two years in office in Chiangmai ??

For Rubi:

You speak in riddles, dear phiphidon.

- what of my remarks might be 'near' ?

- why would I go downtown?

- Downtown Chiang Mai or Bangkok where I live?

- search this forum? For what? It seems we found the previous governor

I know it's not really good manners to reply to your own post, but just to keep you posted, it has been brought to my attention that the 'going downtown' would relate to governor ML Panadda being a 'tourist risk'. As I wrote "with some remarks here regarding ML Panadda having been a 'tourist risk'" I do think I deserve the cigar.

The rest is still somewhat confusing I'm afraid.wai.gif