March Or Mirage To Get Up Patong Hills?

xylophone

As you can see I am posting this in the Phuket Forum because I would like to know of the experience of any member who owns either a new Nissan March or the new Mitsubishi Mirage, and who frequently uses the road over the Patong Hills towards Kathu.

I am considering one of these two small cars but have had no experience with three cylinder 1.2 L engines using the CVT automatic system and wondered if there was any problem with them getting up the hills without too much difficulty?

I have also considered the Honda Brio, however am unsure on this one as I am not enamoured with the look, or safety, of the rear end of it, and the Suzuki Swift would be another starter if it wasn't for the fact that there was about 10 months delivery wait.

These cars are all within my budget and I would like any feedback on them if possible.

Many thanks.

Any vehicle will be OK on the hills in Phuket they are not mountains

Thanks Peter, appreciate that, but was really trying to ascertain whether I would have to "tear the arse" out of the engine in order to get over them at a reasonable speed!! Don't want to have a clapped out engine on the car a few years down the track when I want it to see me out!!

Have had no experience with a 3 cylinder car so was keen to hear of others who had bought one.

Regards.

Thanks Peter, appreciate that, but was really trying to ascertain whether I would have to "tear the arse" out of the engine in order to get over them at a reasonable speed!! Don't want to have a clapped out engine on the car a few years down the track when I want it to see me out!!

Have had no experience with a 3 cylinder car so was keen to hear of others who had bought one.

Regards.

How big are these hills? I have been all over Phuket and there is no hills here that would stop a 3 cylinder car, you seem to be worrying about nothing, why don't you just buy a 1.5 if the 1.2 is of great concern!!

You will be fine with the modern three cylinder. The secret to the engine longevity is changing the engine oil (more frequently than the recommended service intervals) with a good quality oil. This is an especially good vehicle life extending strategy here in Thailand because the cost of an oil change service is so bloody cheap.

One of my cars is a three cylinder and it has no problems going up the mountains at Patong, or those at Cape Panwa or Kata Noi for that matter.

The real key to preserving your car will be finding a good mechanic here on Phuket. I have many failed attempts. Let me know if you find one.

Edited by Phronesis

Regards.

No worries mate, if a 100cc honda wave with 3 people on it can get over the hill with no problems you will have no problems doing the same with a 1200cc car

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know Nissan March has 4 cyinders, not 3! And torque is quite enough to drive all over the hills..

From the website......as distinct from BOG. Google translate wins again..............TiT

MARSH.

MAKES YOUR LIFE EASIER.

Your design conveys a simple, compact, easy drive land fit for life in the city.

TECHNICAL.

HR12DE.

Line 3-cylinder DOHC / engine size 1,198 cc, 79 hp at 6,000 r / min and maximum torque of 106 Newton - meters at 4400 r / min reduce friction. Provides good acceleration. And high torque at low engine rpm.

• 3 months later...

Finally settled on a Suzuki Swift GLX after all that as it seemed a cut above the others. Ordered in Sept 2012 with a supposed 8 month waiting list and took delivery on December 24th!!

It is a little beauty, fun to drive, great handling and peppy.........and yes it gets over the "Patong hills" just fine.

I've just had test drive of Nissan March 1.2 CVT today. It runs very good, even with 3 adults + 2 kids onboard. I also checked ascending to small hill and it was OK! It is quite spacious inside (my wife owned previous Micra before and still remember it) and utmost maneuverable. Sales booklet promises incredible 5 l per 100 km, so, should be within 6-7 l in fact, So, I DO recommend March. But my decision about purchasing is postponed as I've been told about annual expenses: ~17.000 BAht for insurance annually (!!!) + some tax (abt 1.500 baht) + service (same 1.500 baht). As I stay in Phuket about 4 months per year nowadays it would be more profitable to rent car as I did before. It takes abt 15.000 baht/month in winter and abt 12.000 baht/month during summer months. And nothing more, only gasoline!

Edited by dmitryspb