1 Year In Uk Since Leaving Bkk

Wossnext

It depends a lot where you are in the UK. I once went for a job interview in High Wycombe and it seemed a particularly miserable place. I don't think you can judge the whole of the UK on a dump like that. I'm sure somewhere like Cambridge or Edinburgh would still be very pleasant places to live.

Im in the same boat as the previous poster Litlos, ex Perth now BKK.

Perth was a great place to grow up but as Litlos stated it is a very expensive place to live currently. Perth was just recently named the most expensive city in Australia to live.

Western Australia is the resource state which has had two massive mining booms but I would disagree with Litlos in saying that it is coming to a end. Maybe so for some of the natural resource sectors but WA is on its way to being one of the largest LNG producers in the world.

What does this mean for Perth??

The cost of living is getting out of control for those living in Perth on the back of the WA economic surge.

But on a more positive note the weather would certainly beat the dark clouds hanging over your current residence. Perth cannot be beaten in summer it's a great place.

Im not sure of your age & whether you would be considering retirement in the future but if you are coming upon those years maybe look at Tasmania, a amazing piece of the country. My folks just moved from Perth to live in Tasmania for the above mentioned reasons of Perth being to expensive. They couldn't be happier with their decision.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Two adults earning a net joint income of £2200 p.c.m., seems wages are really low in the UK for the normal working couple. I once returned to London after being away for seven years, but after not seeing the sun for three months it was a real downer, so took a holiday to Ibiza. When the plane broke through the cloud at about 20,000 feet all the passengers spontaneously applauded.

is their a specific reason for choosing Perth/ Tasmanian is beautiful and housing relatively cheap, but maybe jingjoh can give a heads up on employment opportunities

From what I understand there is not a great deal of employment opportunities in Tasmania. I made the suggestion on the basis that the OP may be in his years nearing retirement. If this is the case it would certainly be worth looking at as you said housing is extremely cheap, cost of living is low & fresh produce is in abundance.

The uk ( non capitals intended ) is totally cr@p. I have rented my house out for 3 years and now can't get rid of the bloody tenant even though I have a buyer waiting to move in right now. The tenant was supposed to leave 2 weeks ago ( an unmarried mother with a ten year old brat, says it all really ) and the council have told her NOT to move until I get an eviction order. Can you believe the council is in effect telling her to break the law? So now I am having to go through the courts to get MY house back. I phoned the council and some uneducated moron couldn't answer my questions like, I want to move back to MY house otherwise I will be homeless, the ignorant pratt replies " oh I have to end this conversation now". So I may lose the buyer while the unemployed sits in my lovely little house and leeches off me and the state with the council's blessing.

What an '<deleted> sh!thole.

I gave notice to quit i.e. tenancy contract over, it is called a section 21, that is the normal procedure but the council have told her to stay until the COURTS issue an eviction order and only then will they re-house her and the kid,which is so unruly all the neighbours just cannot wait to wave bye bye. If you have property to rent on the uk don't ever ever rent to dss. It is going to cost me a lot of money to the see the back of her and I may lose the buyer. Then I will be in Thailand end of Oct. and the house may sit empty over the winter. Bad idea.

At least you will be able to smile when the Euro crashes giggle.gif

Joking aside, thanks for the report. Has your wife lived abroad before? Why doesn't she want to leave the UK? £2200 per month is not terrible by American standards. But the deal with people quitting and then not re-hiring has been going on for a few years now. We are expected to just take on the extra work. As you say in UK, bullocks!

The uk ( non capitals intended ) is totally cr@p. I have rented my house out for 3 years and now can't get rid of the bloody tenant even though I have a buyer waiting to move in right now. The tenant was supposed to leave 2 weeks ago ( an unmarried mother with a ten year old brat, says it all really ) and the council have told her NOT to move until I get an eviction order. Can you believe the council is in effect telling her to break the law? So now I am having to go through the courts to get MY house back. I phoned the council and some uneducated moron couldn't answer my questions like, I want to move back to MY house otherwise I will be homeless, the ignorant pratt replies " oh I have to end this conversation now". So I may lose the buyer while the unemployed sits in my lovely little house and leeches off me and the state with the council's blessing.

What an '<deleted> sh!thole.

It would seem you have not employed the right estate Agent to handle your house lease,nowadays it's common practice for the the lessee to sign a lease agreeing that if the Landlord decides to evict the Tenant,then they have to vacate the premises in a total of 8 weeks,so there is no hanging it out indefinately.

This was designed,so that the Landlord does not incur costly Court fees!

Also your house should have been leased on a 6 month renewable (or not) lease,the days of the sitting Tenant are long gone.

Edited by MAJIC