Bangkok To Koh Kong, Cambodia

expatman

A Cambodian Business Visa? If so, they call it an "Ordinary Visa" now and it should be possible, yes. I saw signs when I went through earlier this year. Koh Kong is the worst of the border checkpoints for fraud and obnoxious touts at the visa counter area currently (yes, even worse than Poipet), so get ready for some seriously annoying hassle. I actually had a Cambodian tout bugging me forever on the Cambodian side, so I gave him a dollar to run around getting everything stamped just to have some peace. When I was back on the Thai side waiting for a van, he showed up like ten minutes later in Thailand with a friend and stood there for thirty minutes harrassing me because he said that I had "forgotten" to pay yet another bribe for some thing or another (it was all absurd as I have long-term visas for both countries and required nothing). He wouldn't leave, so I did something I don't normally do publicly and berated him in Thai for coming into Thailand to steal money like a common thief, which seemed to amuse the Thai people present. Anyway, the point is that Koh Kong has a well-earned reputation for corruption as a border crossing and you'll probably end up getting harrassed.

Not sure about vans, but you can catch the bus to Trat and a minivan from Trat to the border if you arrive early enough. It's about an hour and a half (and change) from Trat, so make allowances for time.

EDIT: Yep, looks like nothing's changed:

http://bit.ly/Npo6vg

Edited by emilyb

no-no vans/buses as of yet cross the border-as has never ever been the case.

So you have to get adapted to the norms of public transport: change if not direct. Buses to Trat-incl mini are plenty-at least 2/3 per hour ex BKK-various spots, then at the big bussttaion in Trat just follow the touts who either point you to van to piers or to van for border-then cross.

Actually-to above: the Poipet border scams have been cleaned out a year or so ago by Khmer authorities-due to constant and getting too many complaints from tourists and -more important- tourist tour agencies. Not that they have disappeared 100%-but it is much, much less as before.

Actually-to above: the Poipet border scams have been cleaned out a year or so ago by Khmer authorities-due to constant and getting too many complaints from tourists and -more important- tourist tour agencies. Not that they have disappeared 100%-but it is much, much less as before.

Yeah, seems like it. Doesn't really affect me anyway, but the only problem I had last time I used Poipet was the typical transportation mafia scammers (who are easily ignored anyway).

I booked a minibus trip through my hotel from Sihanoukville to Pattaya in January, paid for one ticket all the way through. I didn't have any hassles with bribes or touts at all at the border, it was just a long walk across as I recall.

As an aside, it was the connection from Cambodian to Thai buses that caused me grief. I had to hang around for hours to wait until the bus filled up before we left. It didn't matter what time the bus was scheduled to leave, they wouldn't go until the bus was full and we were packed in there like sardines. None of us were Thai speakers, the bus driver couldn't speak English and he didn't give a shit about any of us. Most horrible bus trip I've ever experienced. I've thought since probably should have paid for separate trips so would not be held hostage waiting for a particular bus service but I'm not sure, we thought the hotel knew the best way to handle things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App