Car Crash Politics: Laws Don't Touch Rich In Thailand

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“I don’t believe in Thai justice, it’s only a privilege for the rich, not for poor people."

I believe you just defined "Thai Justice".

However, this is not exclusive to Thailand. In just about every country and society the rich and powerful are immune from many laws and follow different rules. In fact, they are the ones who create, interpret and enforce those laws. One must remember the "Golden Rule"...He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Most of the time. I can think of several instances where very rich and powerful men were sentenced in the US. But, it is not common. Just look at O.J. Simpson. He more or less admitted to the killing, but still walked. But, there is some justice in the west. Some. Here, there is zero justice against the super rich. Zero. My bet it there is no chance he will serve time. The local police chief will build a 200,000,000 baht home. Construction will start soon. The judges will be paid, and all will be "business as usual in the LOS". The down side, is that the world continues to look at the Thai justice system, and Thai law in general, as a travesty.

It is a disgusting bastardisation of any legal system but it does go on all over the world. In Oz, not long ago the Commisioner of Taxation decided not to pursue a tax avoidance scam by a wealth media owner. We were talking millions and millions of AUD $ why? because the wealthy guy was able to stall,buy time etc etc with fancy lawyers; the tax office gave up and instead ... get this ..turned it's attention to those whom it could easily catch.. i.e. the poor working slob down the road. World definitely needs a benevolent dictator a la Periclean Athens and I'm thinking ..moi ermm.gif I'd make the buggers' eyes water ... joke joke.

“I don’t believe in Thai justice, it’s only a privilege for the rich, not for poor people."

However, this is not exclusive to Thailand. In just about every country and society the rich and powerful are immune from many laws and follow different rules. In fact, they are the ones who create, interpret and enforce those laws. One must remember the "Golden Rule"...He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Actually - that quote says so much about Thai culture.

Justice is only for the rich? Really?

Seems to me that the rich skirt around justice and get away with anything. The quote above implies the poor should be afforded the same rights.

Poor, poor, Thailand...

It's Thai DNA to run from an accident. Now you take that DNA and cross it with a person raised with "superior" values and you get "premeditated murder' committed with impunity and the assurance that someone else can take the fall or it will just be evaporated." The decision to "drag" the possibly still alive policeman was an implicit decision and premeditation to "shake him loose" from the car at all costs and to scramble for the home fortress to concoct the alibi. The policeman on the motorcycle may have broken his neck and died near the time of impact but dragging his body dead or alive through three football fields of urban cement and asphalt would break the neck and do the job for sure.

On second thought maybe the average ordinary folks in Thailand run from accidents because the precedent was set by the rich, to whom the law doesn't apply. The law is for ordinaries among ordinaries. Not superiors "forced" on occasion to navigate in the filthy, stupid world of the ordinaries.

Maybe the spin doctors are already in place as they now say it was the motorbike which was dragged along not the policeman who was supposedly killed instantly.

They most definitely are.

He had a drink after the accident to get over the shock was also in the article I read along with the motorbike ( aka body ) being dragged along the Soi.

When will the elite be held accountable for not only this horrific killing of an innocent non elite, along with all the other disgraceful abuses of priviledge via the whitewashing of intent, wrongdoing and duplicity.

How sad, I will never fail to be shocked by the lack of compassion for the innocent victims.

The list grows by the day and this latest example which can be added to it, will be continually watered down to an unfortunate everyday accident the way lies and excuses have already started chipping away at the truth.

marshbags huh.png

• Like 1

It's Thai DNA to run from an accident. Now you take that DNA and cross it with a person raised with "superior" values and you get "premeditated murder' committed with impunity and the assurance that someone else can take the fall or it will just be evaporated." The decision to "drag" the possibly still alive policeman was an implicit decision and premeditation to "shake him loose" from the car at all costs and to scramble for the home fortress to concoct the alibi. The policeman on the motorcycle may have broken his neck and died near the time of impact but dragging his body dead or alive through three football fields of urban cement and asphalt would break the neck and do the job for sure.

On second thought maybe the average ordinary folks in Thailand run from accidents because the precedent was set by the rich, to whom the law doesn't apply. The law is for ordinaries among ordinaries. Not superiors "forced" on occasion to navigate in the filthy, stupid world of the ordinaries.

Maybe the spin doctors are already in place as they now say it was the motorbike which was dragged along not the policeman who was supposedly killed instantly.

I never did,anyway.

I remember once this Thai woman was angry at this Western guy and told me that he said, "As long as I have enough money, I can do anything in Thailand." I was surprised she got angry.

My girlfriend tells me the same thing everyday. "You should know I have money I can do anything in Thailand" and she stretches the annnyyyything out. And she gets angry also.

One thing we all seem to forget is that driving the wrong way down the road, is considered normal here; motorcycles, cars, and police vehicles all do it. There is no sense of drivers consideration or responsibility or even common sense here. Although, this is a clear case of criminal negligence, I think most Thais would call it an accident. The guy didn't mean to kill anyone, and if you can pay compensation, then you can be forgiven. If this goes to court, I bet the prosecution won't mention the premeditation in the fleeing, or blame the driver for the cover-up. The judge might find him guilty, but suspend the sentence or fine him. You can't jail someone for an accident.

The culture here is too draw attention away from any wrongdoing by diverting blame or simply call it fate "circumstance beyond your control". Everyone does it. Police, politicians, store owners and my wife.

I'm always surprised that this country is even here and hasn't be conquered by a culture who can improve itself through an honest look at it's failings.

If he was hit at 200 kms/hr as has been suggested, then pretty sure he would be dead before he hit the pavement, so kind of irrelevant what/who was or wasnt dragged

Of course it is relevant, because it turned an alleged accident (speeding for sure, maybe drunk...but still an accident) into a barbaric act!

........... The culture here is too draw attention away from any wrongdoing by diverting blame or simply call it fate "circumstance beyond your control". Everyone does it. Police, politicians, store owners and my wife. ......................

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Nothing personal NT but Thai law in the real sense does not and never has applied to the puyai elite / rich and the privilidged.

They will most certainly not have had to run away from accidents or the breaking of any other laws.

Well most of the time anyway

They sit back and await some inferior person of officialdom to minipulate the truth, get rid of or manipuplate any evidence and pull them out of the sh*t.

Not forgetting the lawyers who, also totally lacking integrity, all of which are handsomely paid to turn the other whatever and provide them with a declaration of angelic innocence.

marshbags whistling.gif

seconded, though i have never bought the stuff since i drank it with mekhong in CM 21 years ago

The one unique dynamic that has come into play here is that foreign media have picked it up. Thai justice couldn't give a shit about peasants, but when the foreign media gets a hold, and national "Dignity" is at stake, even big fish can be landed! Wait and see......

• Like 1

What was a young man doing owning a race car....you have to be trained to drive a Ferrari and for someone of that age to own one is just simply ridiculous. They are racing cars and not to be owned lightly. I feel so sorry for all involved as at the end of the day he did not wish to have this happen. Nor did the family of the poor policeman who died. So sad. No one did. He now has to man up and take responsibility which is no easy task. He should not be hated for he is rich and nor should he be the centre of a witch hunt. But yes he should take responsibility and I am sure he is not a happy bunny right now. But it seems through carelessness, young stupidity and bad luck a tragedy has occurred that will haunt all concerned for the rest of their lives. Albeit none of us know the facts. Very sad.

I read in the Bangkok post web site about the various peoples comments including politicians and police etc.: What I find unbelievable is that someone whose own son was acquitted of murder of a policeman tells another policemen there will be serious penalties if he was seen to be perverting the course of justice. The same guy whose son is now back as a policeman. Is it me or is this world gone completely insane. The lunatics have got control and everything is upside down. Nothing makes sense and all decency is lost in a squalid quagmire of corruption, wickedness, low class behavior and bad people. So sad and so disgusting. And what is so damning is that it is not just Thailand. USA, UK and many countries are equally as foul at political levels. I think George Orwell in Animal Farm when looking at the disgusting nature of communism and various political doctrines such as fascism wrote: some of us are equal but some of us are more equal than others. He was referring to the pigs in power in his book. I am afraid we live in a lie...our world is not run by democratic principles but fascist principles. Anyone who knows political systems and understand history will know this. Democracy is a lie and a fantasy created by those in power. This is the same in the UK and USA. Open our eyes and one will surely see the truth

One has to be a certain age and have training to ride a motor bike too. How many times do you see 12 year olds (or younger), 3 on a bike, with no helmets riding around? Bottom line....If your family can afford to buy you a motor vehicle you have the right to drive it, no matter how recklessly. The more money and power your family has, the more reckless they will allow you to be.

Edited by jaltsc

Yes, protection of the rich parents boy will take place, a reason will be found to prove that the boy could not have avoided the accident.

Maybe he couldn't avoid it, because sometimes motorbike's are swaying abruptly into the center of the driving lanes and motorists have to avoid them by swaying and sharp breaking, but this does not always avoid a vital accident.

Nothing personal NT but Thai law in the real sense does not and never has applied to the puyai elite / rich and the privilidged.

They will most certainly not have had to run away from accidents or the breaking of any other laws.

Well most of the time anyway

They sit back and await some inferior person of officialdom to minipulate the truth, get rid of or manipuplate any evidence and pull them out of the sh*t.

Not forgetting the lawyers who, also totally lacking integrity, all of which are handsomely paid to turn the other whatever and provide them with a declaration of angelic innocence.

marshbags whistling.gif

The fact that this guy has a whole lot of money only complicates the issue of responsibility. You guys seem to be focused on the reality that this guy won't go to jail. Even though what he did is illegal on paper. The written law is only applied to the perceived right or wrong in a situation.

The girl that killed 9 people was a unlicensed driver. It was totally illegal for her to drive, she killed people and therefore should be punished, but all of the 11, 12, 13 and 14 year old kids that drive motorbikes to school "without helmets" get waved through the gate DAILY. Even when an 11 year old died in a horrible accident where body parts were found on both sides of the road.

Theses kids are just trying to get to school. They're not doing anything wrong. Illegal yes, but not wrong, Same with selling beer off hours, prostitution, unregulated street food, motorbikes without lights, mirrors or insurance....................

Following rules is just not important here, specially when it's for the betterment of society, and other peoples safety is even less of a thought than personal safety.

Edited by ajarnyai
  • Like 1

If he was hit at 200 kms/hr as has been suggested, then pretty sure he would be dead before he hit the pavement, so kind of irrelevant what/who was or wasnt dragged

Professional advice from a coroner.

Its obvious what happened here:

The cop who has been warned about bad behaviour before was riding his motorcy backwards at speed and hit the unfortunate young man who is well known for his careful and considerate driving.

The young man having no means of communication with him then rushed home to call the police and ambulance.

See you all had it wrong.

Question. Has anyone ever seen a thai policeman given a speeding ticket to anyone? The only thing i ever see from the police is on thursday they will have a checkpoint to take money from motorbike drivers for wearing no helmet. This is money for them for the weekend.

They got me once but couldn't tell me what speed I was doing.No graft/corruption 400 baht proper ticket and no bribe offered.

Question. Has anyone ever seen a thai policeman given a speeding ticket to anyone? The only thing i ever see from the police is on thursday they will have a checkpoint to take money from motorbike drivers for wearing no helmet. This is money for them for the weekend.

They got me once but couldn't tell me what speed I was doing.No graft/corruption 400 baht proper ticket and no bribe offered.

I got one just like that, but then the cop told me if I get stopped again, I should just show them that I already paid, and they'll let me go. Ya gottta luv it.

• Like 1

Forget the fancy car and that the young man is from a rich family...here is a human being without "values"... Ok, accidents happen. Did he stop after hitting the policeman on the motor bike? NO, he continued to drive carrying him on the windshield. He could have stopped to help him. A decent human would have done this.

Then there is this other low moral value of the family: The family then enlisted the help of local police official Lt. Col. Pannapon Nammuang to concoct a tale that somebody else – the family driver – had been at the wheel when the accident happened, according to Bangkok police. Pathetic.

I will never purchase Red Bull energy drink and encourage others to do the same.

Agree,

I was thinking along the same line, also this incident certainly puts a damper on the global Red bull marketing

campaigns.

This is what was said by Comronwit in a different news article that I read... We all already know the outcome of this whole story, so has Comronwit already signed his resignation papers coffee1.gif

Comronwit said he suspended the police officer who attempted to subvert the investigation.

"A policeman is dead. I can't let this stand. If I let this case get away, I'd rather quit," he told reporters. "I don't care how powerful they are. If I can't get the actual man in this case, I will resign."

• Like 1

A wise observation and comment! It is indeed the same the world over.

Forget the fancy car and that the young man is from a rich family...here is a human being without "values"... Ok, accidents happen. Did he stop after hitting the policeman on the motor bike? NO, he continued to drive carrying him on the windshield. He could have stopped to help him. A decent human would have done this.

Then there is this other low moral value of the family: The family then enlisted the help of local police official Lt. Col. Pannapon Nammuang to concoct a tale that somebody else – the family driver – had been at the wheel when the accident happened, according to Bangkok police. Pathetic.

I will never purchase Red Bull energy drink and encourage others to do the same.

There would be more publicity if people demonstrated at the next F1 meet. Plenty of cameras. I'm sure the local cops could arrange a whip round to send a few friends there, just happens to be in Singapore in a fortnights time..............