Anyone With Full Dentures. Like Them Or Not?

jaideeguy

I'm 65, with 50% of my natural teeth missing and 25% of the remainders are plastic, porcelain bridges and crowns. That leaves the remaining 25% as natural, but stained [beyond whitening] and crooked, but my anchor teeth are in decent condition.

I've asked several dentists here about just giving up the maintenance game and getting them all yanked and replaced with dentures, but most of the [tourist] dentists are into the western business model of 'save them at all cost! [meaning i need you to make payments on my new BMW].

And I have interviewed a few of my older friends that have had their dentures for many decades and they all tell me that it was the best move they have done and have no regrets. End of pain, maintenance, and cost and to my eyes, they look natural and unstained.

So, I'm making this a casual poll and asking for feedback from those out there with full dentures to reply with their opinions.

You can reply via PM if you are keeping your dentures a secret.

thanks in advance.....

Edited by jaideeguy

This is probably not a conversation that most would enjoy having in public, but I'll give it a go.

First, I would say if you have few solid teeth that can serve as anchors, then you would be happier with partial dentures. They will give you much more functionality in terms of being able to bite things like sandwiches, meats and salads. With full dentures, they sit on top of the gums and biting with the front teeth lifts the rear of the denture off of the gums and the adhesive is only so strong.

This being said, if your anchor teeth are not solid or like mine had root canals done many years ago, they may break from the extra stress of a holding a partial in place. I went trough a period where it seemed like I was breaking a tooth off at the gum line every three months. Then, it was pay to have the root extracted and pay to have another tooth added to the partial, then wait for three more months and do it all over again.

It was a bit of a relief when the second to last tooth broke and I decided to go to a full upper. Maintenance is easier, dental bills are smaller and I don't have to worry about gaps in my partials. However, I do miss being able to take a bite out of a crusty sandwich or an apple.

Edited by Pacificperson
  • Like 1

This is probably not a conversation that most would enjoy having in public, but I'll give it a go.

First, I would say if you have few solid teeth that can serve as anchors, then you would be happier with partial dentures. They will give you much more functionality in terms of being able to bite things like sandwiches, meats and salads. With full dentures, they sit on top of the gums and biting with the front teeth lifts the rear of the denture off of the gums and the adhesive is only so strong.

This being said, if your anchor teeth are not solid or like mine had root canals done many years ago, they may break from the extra stress of a holding a partial in place. I went trough a period where it seemed like I was breaking a tooth off at the gum line every three months. Then, it was pay to have the root extracted and pay to have another tooth added to the partial, then wait for three more months and do it all over again.

It was a bit of a relief when the second to last tooth broke and I decided to go to a full upper. Maintenance is easier, dental bills are smaller and I don't have to worry about gaps in my partials. However, I do miss being able to take a bite out of a crusty sandwich or an apple.

Full dentures only way to go. Stop monkeying around get them at once

In my opinion ... you should be keeping your remaining 25 to 50% as long as you possibly can, they are serving a purpose. 65 yrs old is not that old, in the grand scheme of things.

The 'jaw bones' resorb over time (upper and/or lower), without any natural teeth to occupy them (to include your crowns). This leads to the sunken/hollow appearance of elderly people and loose fitting Dentures to be updated.

You will still have some kind of care and maintenence towards Dentures and your Oral health - and you would be surpised at the number of people overall that really cannot get on with them, although many manage ok.

I won't mention Implants as costly .. and you did mention cost. It all depends anyway.

I would say to keep what you have got for as long as you can - with regular visits to a hygienist to support this. I would say that prevention is relatively inexpensive and manageable verses the alternative. It should not be painful once you bring things up to scratch and keep on top of it.

But that's just me .. and i am only going by your post.

Edited to say - what are the reasons given for 'Non whitening'. ?

Edited by Judecalling

My Dad had gum disease in Egypt in the Army in the late 1920s. They said we want to take them out a quarter at a time. Being my Dad he said "Can't you take the dam_n things out in one go?" and demanded it with a certain authority, so they did.

He never had a problem all his life, was very good looking, and to his end at 89 there was not the least "sunken" look as described. I can only guess this hollow cheeked look is not caused by wearing dentures per se......maybe by taking them out?

Out!

Go for the 1920's then ... i hear they were roaring. I speak of 2012 ... and beyond. : )

......The point being that his teeth and mouth looked good nearly to year 2000....and denture wearers seem to be fine with them.

BTW what's a hygienist? I that something Americans are told is essential to life as we know it ha-ha? :-)

Keep as many of your own teeth as you can and, as mentioned, then go for the partial dentures.

I'm only nearly 57 but my bottom teeth just started falling out the last few years, I thought I brushed my teeth okay back in my youth but obviously not; anyway it got to the point where I had to have a full denture.

For my upper teeth, I still had 5 or 6 firmly in place, but the dentist said to make a denture he'd have to pull them all, bar 2.

So now I look like Dracula without the teeth!

The upper denture is held in place by 2 small hooks which grip the remaining teeth, its very convenient, slips on and off a treat and is easy to eat food with.

The lower adhesive, (Polydent), held denture is much more of a pain. It's difficult to chew food with and I always take it out to eat, unless I have to eat with VIP guests- it happens once in a while! The adhesive will hold the denture firmly in place for several hours if you don't eat, so it's quite workable, but I'd much prefer it to be like the upper, ie held in place by hooks.

On the bright side I must save a lot of time only having 2 teeth to brush!

Go for the 1920's then ... i hear they were roaring. I speak of 2012 ... and beyond. : )

......The point being that his teeth and mouth looked good nearly to year 2000....and denture wearers seem to be fine with them.

BTW what's a hygienist? I that something Americans are told is essential to life as we know it ha-ha? :-)

Yes well .. Its' life 'Cheeryble' but not as 'you' know it. smile.png (funny)

Not too sure on anyone else's point of view, just my own ... think you are too sharp not to know what a hygienist is and if not you have Google at your fingertips. I'm not turning this into a pro dental rave Lol.

Also your Dad sounded like a fine man.

Keep as many of your own teeth as you can and, as mentioned, then go for the partial dentures.

I'm only nearly 57 but my bottom teeth just started falling out the last few years, I thought I brushed my teeth okay back in my youth but obviously not; anyway it got to the point where I had to have a full denture.

For my upper teeth, I still had 5 or 6 firmly in place, but the dentist said to make a denture he'd have to pull them all, bar 2.

The upper denture is held in place by 2 small hooks which grip the remaining teeth, its very convenient, slips on and off a treat and is easy to eat food with.

The lower adhesive, (Polydent), held denture is much more of a pain. It's difficult to chew food with and I always take it out to eat, unless I have to eat with VIP guests- it happens once in a while! The adhesive will hold the denture firmly in place for several hours if you don't eat, so it's quite workable, but I'd much prefer it to be like the upper, ie held in place by hooks.

This is honest advice/ experience.

Edited by Judecalling

He was rather insular, you might say regimented, but a very decent man who consumed fat hardback novels four a time from the public library. Stiff upper lip, wouldn't complain or even tell you about any illness and drove his car out and looked after himself every day to the end at 89. Always looked clean and neat and so did the garden.

Loved the horses all his life, gambled to the end but more for the crack than the money, and not only lost his teeth in Egypt but went in the Army to India and took a slow boat to China.

Imagine Shanghai in the twenties....

Edited by cheeryble

He was rather insular, you might say regimented, but a very decent man who consumed fat hardback novels four a time from the public library. Stiff upper lip, wouldn't complain or even tell you about any illness and drove his car out and looked after himself every day to the end at 89. Always looked clean and neat and so did the garden.

Loved the horses all his life, gambled to the end but more for the crack than the money, and not only lost his teeth in Egypt but went in the Army to India and took a slow boat to China.

Imagine Shanghai in the twenties....

Tell me .. tell me .. tell me - Shanghai in the twenties - bet that was 'something else'. You being funny about 'a slow boat to China' ?? : ) Lol

Better message me - than get chucked out for 'non conformism' to topic ... the other guy is still trying to work out what to do with his teeth. smile.png . Oldies are interesting to me ... and i miss my Dad too. : )

If the lower denture is not a good fit and Polydent doesnt hold verywell then get a tube of Silicon sealant,,clean and wet the denture,squeeze the sealant into the denture and put into your mouth. The silicon will fill up any spaces. Leave for an hour,remove the denture and knife away any sealant that has come onto the front of the denture. Let the denture dryout overnight,then use as normal.

If the lower denture is not a good fit and Polydent doesnt hold verywell then get a tube of Silicon sealant,,clean and wet the denture,squeeze the sealant into the denture and put into your mouth. The silicon will fill up any spaces. Leave for an hour,remove the denture and knife away any sealant that has come onto the front of the denture. Let the denture dryout overnight,then use as normal.

LOL ... you win. : ) Honesty is boring - i agree : )

Hopefully you haven't made your decision yet.

My grandma who's over 90 has had full dentures since she was in her teens. For some reason, that was the in-thing for dentists to do in her home town back then.

Up until 20-30 years ago when she was your age her dentures were fine. Now that she's over 90, her dentures are so painful and fit so poorly she can barely eat. For the past 10-15 years or so it doesn't matter how often she goes and gets new dentures and has them re-fitted, they never fit right. Each time they're a little bit better, but the fitting quickly gets worse. Imagine eating with your teeth moving around and grating on your raw gums. Not very pleasant!

Also, the multiple visits and sitting for hours in the chair are almost unbearable at her age and in her condition.

Going by my grandma's experience, if you end up living for another 30-40 years getting full dentures could be the worst decision of your life.

Hopefully you haven't made your decision yet.

My grandma who's over 90 has had full dentures since she was in her teens. For some reason, that was the in-thing for dentists to do in her home town back then.

Up until 20-30 years ago when she was your age her dentures were fine. Now that she's over 90, her dentures are so painful and fit so poorly she can barely eat. For the past 10-15 years or so it doesn't matter how often she goes and gets new dentures and has them re-fitted, they never fit right. Each time they're a little bit better, but the fitting quickly gets worse. Imagine eating with your teeth moving around and grating on your raw gums. Not very pleasant!

Also, the multiple visits and sitting for hours in the chair are almost unbearable at her age and in her condition.

Going by my grandma's experience, if you end up living for another 30-40 years getting full dentures could be the worst decision of your life.

Please [buddah??] don't let me live another 30-40 yrs!! I just caregave my father [RIP@92] for the last 5 yrs and his teeth were mostly still in place...but started falling out when he was too far gone to make it into the dentist, so it was me who did the yanking. The one thing that experience taught me was that I would rather have a short happy life than his long miserable existence with few pleasures and the fact that he waited too late in life to get dentures and go thru the whole procedure in his last years. Now @ 65, I have no desire to buy my dentist another BMW and go thru all the painful heroic$ of trying to save a tooth for only a couple of years, then have it fall out. I'm beginning to lean more towards the 'miracle of plastics' and the overall savings that will go towards maintaining my wife and children's teeth that still have some hope of surviving for several decades.

This casual poll and speaking to other friends that I respect has revealed that most [75+%] of long time denture wearers are happy with their choice.

IMHO< Yes, it used to be common practice to pull them and replace them with plastic, but the dental profession got wise and realized that they made more profit in saving teeth and keeping their customers returning than removing the teeth and replacing with plastic.