Drunk Russian In Coma After Leap From Level 3 At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he was on overstay, afraid to or could not exit Thailand.

the report said he came on 4th september, definitely not an overstayer.

it does appear weird, it seems that he stayed in the airport for 2 days since his arrival before the incident.

he could be waiting for his gf he met online in the airport.

What a <deleted> masterpiece of shoddy journalism... Yeah, a Russian is always drunk of course, Germans wear only Lederhos'n, eat Weisskraut and drink Beer all day, Italians are stingy, French can't sing, Japanese can't dance, English wear bowler hats and umbrellas, Americans ride horses and shout "Hey yippie Yankee!" all day...

Obviously he had several problems and the Tourist Police Officer in charge simply gave a toss. Thus we better blame everything on Vodka...

Whatever his story is, I feel sorry for the poor guy and hope that he'll fully recover.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

... Americans ride horses and shout "Hey yippie Yankee!" all day...

No, no, no! We shout "Yippee Kiyay" all day! Or alternatively, Yeeeeeeeeeehaaawwwww, while waving our cowboy hat in the air!

On the serious side of this. I agree with one other poster. My first thought on reading that the guy was acting drunk and asking for water, "is this guy a diabetic?".

I have seen people, whom I first thought was under the influence of alcohol, only to find out that the person was a diabetic and their blood sugar was off. ( I cant remember if it is too high or too low, but I think it is too low)

They would eat or drink something with sugar in it and would soon start acting as their normal self.

I think that when a person goes into insulin shock, not only do they first act like they are drunk, but the person's thinking may be off and they will act in a ways the person would not ordinarily act.

I have not googled it, so if someone is more knowledgeable about this subject, they can chime in and post if my information is incorrect.

• Like 2

In Thai all foreigners acting unlike Thais are said to be drunk. If a country's nationals are stranded at an airport for some bureaucratic reason the Airport Authority should be able to detect it and report the matter to the appropriate Consulate. Thailand seems to have become a country full of SOBPs (Some other person's problems).

There are many Russians transiting that airport. If that fellow needed to or wanted to contact the Russian Embassy, it wouldn't have taken him long to ask somebody to make a call for him. I suspect there were issues. Articles said he got there Sep 4, accident happened Sep 6? Did he arrive at the airport on a flight on Sep 4? I couldn't be sure from what I read.

Maybe he was on overstay, afraid to or could not exit Thailand.

the report said he came on 4th september, definitely not an overstayer.

it does appear weird, it seems that he stayed in the airport for 2 days since his arrival before the incident.

he could be waiting for his gf he met online in the airport.

Half of TV members (probably more) are obsessed with a supposed to be Thai girlfriend (sorry barefoo1988)whistling.gif

I'm sure the US pilot who drop the bomb on Hiroshima had a Thai girl friend, Hitler and Staline probably as well .... Bernard Madoff no doubt he has one too, do not laugh I am sure 100%.

We all could live in peace in a wonderful world unfortunately it's only a dream because.... what? We all know...the fault of a Thai girl friend somewhere

• Like 2

awaiting those that claim this never happens is Western countries... so his girlfriend must have done it!

A silly post really. The posts that I have read where people speculate that this is a possibility have had valid reasons for making that speculation. Of course next you'll be claiming that foreigners being offed in Thailand for their money or for other reasons never happens, it only happens in the west.

• Like 1

If he was in the airport for several days before jumping he must be on numerous CCTV cameras, so it should not be to difficult to find out what he was doing. More disturbing is the fact that you can roam around international airports for so long without being challenged by security.

Well, since only the TV headline states as an absolute fact that the Russian was drunk (the original "report" merely mentions a witness saying that he appeared to be drunk), I hope that after regaining consciousness he'll find this article and sue the hell out of TV for libel or slander. After all, his name was mentioned here as well. It could have easily been edited out of the article by TV, then there's be no limits to making potentially false and insulting statements. sick.gif

The headlines these days seem to be more and more geared towards click-trapping; what about the "horror" traffic jam in another article which turned out to be just your regular, Bangkok rainy season congestion? "Horror" without dismemberment is just frivolous use of attention getting words, especially if the underlying news article is more of a journalist's blog entry. bah.gif

• Like 2

months ago, I blacked out while riding a motorbike. Was going v. slow because I felt it coming on (trying to get to a safe place), I wound up on a grassy slope. Looked up, saw six hill tribe kids looking down at me, all saying 'farang mao' (drunk farang). I haven't drunk fermented sugar drinks for decades. Anyhow, a story to show how quickly Thais conclude a farang is drunk.

I've also had it happen when I go in to a shop, and when I don't speak all agitated, loud and speedily like the average Thai person speaks. Again, sometimes I hear the words 'kee mao' because Thais expect middle aged farang to be drunk at all hours.

Sorry about the Russian. Some of my best helpers up here in northern Thailand are young Russians who come, stay for a few weeks, and then leave for other parts. They're all fine folks. Not a drunkard among the ones I've met.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 1

... Americans ride horses and shout "Hey yippie Yankee!" all day...

No, no, no! We shout "Yippee Kiyay" all day! Or alternatively, Yeeeeeeeeeehaaawwwww, while waving our cowboy hat in the air!

On the serious side of this. I agree with one other poster. My first thought on reading that the guy was acting drunk and asking for water, "is this guy a diabetic?".

I have seen people, whom I first thought was under the influence of alcohol, only to find out that the person was a diabetic and their blood sugar was off. ( I cant remember if it is too high or too low, but I think it is too low)

They would eat or drink something with sugar in it and would soon start acting as their normal self.

I think that when a person goes into insulin shock, not only do they first act like they are drunk, but the person's thinking may be off and they will act in a ways the person would not ordinarily act.

I have not googled it, so if someone is more knowledgeable about this subject, they can chime in and post if my information is incorrect.

Too low and a person appears drunk, or more like spaced out and unresponsive. This is due to lack of sugar in the blood for the body to turn into glycogen.

Too high and the person craves water to flush the sugar out of the blood stream. This is due to the lack of insulin which helps turn sugar into glycogen which is the body's basic fuel.

He's not likely diabetic if both symptoms appeared at the same time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Edited by riceyummm

In Thai all foreigners acting unlike Thais are said to be drunk. If a country's nationals are stranded at an airport for some bureaucratic reason the Airport Authority should be able to detect it and report the matter to the appropriate Consulate. Thailand seems to have become a country full of SOBPs (Some other person's problems).

There are many Russians transiting that airport. If that fellow needed to or wanted to contact the Russian Embassy, it wouldn't have taken him long to ask somebody to make a call for him. I suspect there were issues. Articles said he got there Sep 4, accident happened Sep 6? Did he arrive at the airport on a flight on Sep 4? I couldn't be sure from what I read.

The OP states "came from Russia since 4 September" It appears that he never left the airport after arriving.

The OP states "came from Russia since 4 September" It appears that he never left the airport after arriving.

Had he come on the 3rd would you also assume he never left the airport or is 3-days at the airport not reasonable while 2-days is? While you may be right, I am just confused why this speculation is starting to be stated as being a logical assumption.

Edited by Nisa

That's crazy offing ya self in front of children. Gone for a family vacation and your kids have to witness that.

How selfish can ya get?

Had it occurred to you, before you posted, that possibly he was not of sound mind and that was the reason he decided to end his life.

Yours is possibly the most thoughtless post I have seen in a long time.

agreed, likely not of sound mind.. but nevertheless I reckon it's a fair OPINION on this FORUM to say that by throwing yourself to your likely death in front of witnessing kids is being 'selfish', a word often used about suicides or attempted-suicides.. certainly as fair an opinion as most other opiniated posts on here, so why 'the most thoughtless'.. because you personally agree with it the least?

Had he come on the 3rd would you also assume he never left the airport or is 3-days at the airport not reasonable while 2-days is? While you may be right, I am just confused why this speculation is starting to be stated as being a logical assumption.

I am sorry but I don't really understand where you are comming from? Maybe you are just nit picking I am not sure. I was simply replying to what I read in the story which stated that (1) he arrived on the 4th from Russia, (2) he took up shelter at the airport and (3) he jumped on the 6th. Yes I assumed that he never left the airport and this was probably wrong and I appologise as he may very well of gone out for the day on the 5th and returned.

Had he arrived 3rd like you suggest then I would probably assume that he may have gone out for a couple days sight seeing before returning but there was no mention in the article that he arrived on the 3rd just that he arrived on the 4th. The article may very well have the dates mixed up, I don't know like I said I only comment on what I read and not on "what ifs"

I am sorry but I don't really understand where you are comming from? Maybe you are just nit picking I am not sure. I was simply replying to what I read in the story which stated that (1) he arrived on the 4th from Russia, (2) he took up shelter at the airport and (3) he jumped on the 6th. Yes I assumed that he never left the airport and this was probably wrong and I appologise as he may very well of gone out for the day on the 5th and returned.

My apologies. I hadn't gone back to read the OP and see an update to the story was added. I just noticed it now when looking for where it stated "he took up shelter at the airport " ... clearly you are correct in assuming he didn't leave the airport.

My apologies. I hadn't gone back to read the OP and see an update to the story was added. I just noticed it now when looking for where it stated "he took up shelter at the airport " ... clearly you are correct in assuming he didn't leave the airport.

No harm done, cheers wai.gif

• Like 1

A drunk Russian? Where do they get this nonsense? whistling.gif

Many Russians are deemed to be drunk just by smiling and being polite, unfortunately-they are a very misunderstood race tongue.png

Edited by petermik

months ago, I blacked out while riding a motorbike. Was going v. slow because I felt it coming on (trying to get to a safe place), I wound up on a grassy slope. Looked up, saw six hill tribe kids looking down at me, all saying 'farang mao' (drunk farang). I haven't drunk fermented sugar drinks for decades. Anyhow, a story to show how quickly Thais conclude a farang is drunk.

I've also had it happen when I go in to a shop, and when I don't speak all agitated, loud and speedily like the average Thai person speaks. Again, sometimes I hear the words 'kee mao' because Thais expect middle aged farang to be drunk at all hours.

Sorry about the Russian. Some of my best helpers up here in northern Thailand are young Russians who come, stay for a few weeks, and then leave for other parts. They're all fine folks. Not a drunkard among the ones I've met.

Thai children are actually taught in school that farang who come to Thailand, and especially those living in Pattaya, are the worst of the worst, and that they are usually drunk. Thai schools work very hard to indoctrinate children to believe that they are superior to all other nationalities. That's a good part of the reason Thais are so xenophobic.

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 2

Thai schools work very hard to indoctrinate children to believe that they are superior to all other nationalities. That's a good part of the reason Thais are so xenophobic.

And all undone in a quick trip to a more advanced country, or by teaching the proper history of the region instead of the myths and lies taught at school.

That's crazy offing ya self in front of children. Gone for a family vacation and your kids have to witness that.

How selfish can ya get?

Had it occurred to you, before you posted, that possibly he was not of sound mind and that was the reason he decided to end his life.

Yours is possibly the most thoughtless post I have seen in a long time.

Totally agree - and bereft of any sympathy for a fellow human being.