Idiots Who Come To Thailand.

chiangmaikelly

OP you say he had two big beers - yet you suggest it was not a decent beer - your opinion or his? I would suggest if he had a second it must have been ok for him unless he is the type to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Whilst not disagreeing with your advice on the food side it was up to him so not sure why you sound so miffed. I agree with other posters who suggest that Hilton/Festival is not such a good rec. - yes i have been to both many times. If he is in Pattaya for more then a couple a days I am sure he can put in a visit to Central but I certainly would not bother with it as "must see" place.

At the end of the day we should learn from our experiences and as a first time visitor he probably has a lot to learn but that is part of the fun as siampreggers says.

The beer was fine but frozen because no one ordered it on a regular basis.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there were a lot of people like you too. I was in Pattaya a few years back. I noticed a number of Thai motorcycle taxi drivers with machetes congregating across the street from the bar I hung out at. No one else noticed. I told a few people that I knew. But no, I wouldn't have told anyone who had wanted to find out everything for themselves. For sure I would not have told anyone who thought me a <deleted>. Go figure!

You should hvae told them to go there! Sounds much more fun and exotic than Central and a movie!

A shopping mall and a movie? Whoopee! You really make a great guide. Before you question what my experiences of Pattaya are, I have lived here for over three years and could offer them something a bit more interesting than that. So, to answer your question, do I think you're an idiot? Yes.

You mean you have lived in Pattaya for over three years?

Isn't that what I said?

No you said here. You could mean Thailand or anyplace else. Frankly I have not met many rude people in Pattaya so I assumed it was somewhere else.

A shopping mall and a movie? Whoopee! You really make a great guide. Before you question what my experiences of Pattaya are, I have lived here for over three years and could offer them something a bit more interesting than that. So, to answer your question, do I think you're an idiot? Yes.

Isn't that what I said?

No you said here. You could mean Thailand or anyplace else. Frankly I have not met many rude people in Pattaya so I assumed it was somewhere else.

If I use "Pattaya" and "here" in the same sentence one can assume I mean live in Pattaya.

Bangkok is a fascinating city. Do you know how many Thai people from Bangkok go to Central mall in Pattaya every weekend to shop, eat and recreate?

Isn't that what I said?

If I use "Pattaya" and "here" in the same sentence one can assume I mean live in Pattaya.

You wouldn't be nit picking would you? I asked for a simple clarification. At any rate you are bickering without adding anything to the post so I am done responding to your baiting.

You pay for the view. Some people go to restaurants for the food some for the view or some for both.

Like they say. Up to you.

I go to restaurants for the food.

Yep there's one south of Pattaya which is bigged up on the web for the view can't fault that , but after dark what can you see ? The Thai food was bad street food at 4 times the price and less than half the size. The English food I ordered well I can't comment on that because it never came after asking for it 3 times.

All served by a couple of useless waitresses and by a child of someone that works there who spent the whole time picking his nose.

The beer was fine but frozen because no one ordered it on a regular basis.

Sounds like quite an experience. Glad that he enjoyed it enough to go for seconds!

The first was not too frozen he simply sucked the ice out. The second the waiter grabbed his chopstick and swished it around in the bottle till the slushy poured into his glass.

Neither he nor his GF have ever been to Pattaya. They are going this weekend. I told them to get a room at the Hilton and go shopping at Central and see a movie. They said, no. They got a cheap hotel 500 baht with a view and are going to Walking street. Oh well.

Well, that would be experiencing eh... an experience of the U.S. Mall life that you can unfortunately experience in any city in the World. sad.png

Western Hotel.

(Western styled) Mall.

Go to the cinema. Perhaps even buy some popcorn and pepsi.

Flying to Thailand sure is worth it eh. rolleyes.gif

Glad 'they said no'.

Perhaps take that as a hint that your advice is neither wanted nor needed, and they are happier without it.

You make some good points

• Like 1

Bangkok is a fascinating city. Do you know how many Thai people from Bangkok go to Central mall in Pattaya every weekend to shop, eat and recreate?

You make it sound like Central is one of the seven wonders of the world. Why anyone from BKK would come to Pattaya just to go there is beyond me. BKK has plenty of bigger shopping malls. I have been to Central a few times but personally I don't see anything at all "special" about it other than it has a decent food court downstairs.

Yeah, those looking to do something Westernized.

I suppose you advise Thais going to America to seek out a somtam stall lest they experience something Western.

:rolleyes:

The guy did take advice from his GF over the OP, who he had just met, so i dont think there is anything unusual about that. That she didn't know much about his foreign taste in food might not have occurred to him.

He might have learnt something from the experience. Why not take him out again and tell us the outcome of the dinner?

Neither he nor his GF have ever been to Pattaya. They are going this weekend. I told them to get a room at the Hilton and go shopping at Central and see a movie. They said, no. They got a cheap hotel 500 baht with a view and are going to Walking street. Oh well.

whats up telling these folks what to do, eat and stay?

if the man wants a steak, let em have a steak.

if they needed a baby sitter they would have taken out an ad.

(you want to screw the wife, i guarantee it)

Edited by jacktrip
  • Like 2

Sounds resonable to me that his friend and his lady want to see walking street and stay in a cheaper room. OP stated it's a first visit for both. Pattaya is on many Thais want to see list, contrary to popular belief, and they don't all spend their time at Central mall.

As for the food going local would have been a better experience, but maybe the lady does not often get the chance to eat in a western restaurant.

Quite a racist thread, idiots need to take holidays too.

I think "idiots" isn't a own race. You can find the brainless in every kind of population.

And there are special facilities to give idiots a good holiday. It is called "All-Inclusive-Resort", booked in your home country and selected by an experienced sales guy. They take care that the German get his Sauerkraut and the Aussi his Vegemite, even in Thailand.

I think "idiots" isn't a own race. You can find the brainless in every kind of population.

And there are special facilities to give idiots a good holiday. It is called "All-Inclusive-Resort", booked in your home country and selected by an experienced sales guy. They take care that the German get his Sauerkraut and the Aussi his Vegemite, even in Thailand.

Hey! I love my Vegemite. Not easy to find here though, and Marmite is a poor substitute.

Edited by giddyup

I have never been mugged...attempted, but never success.

I have never been drugged...by anyone else, unknowingly.

Not fat enough to be rolled.

Never fell in love with a bg.

Never participated in or been to a village wedding and never will.

As for conforming to the general pop and drinking what everyone else is drinking, that is kinda boring and sheep like.

I have eaten in an empty restaurant and then it filled up not so long after.

Eaten in many restaurants with views and had a wonderful feed.

next

I'm just playng the odds. I've been in the restaurant business for years and years. Never go into a bar that is not on a corner or doesn't have a back door.

always liked sleazy hole in the wall bars , peanut shells on a floor of an unrecognizable composition , particularly in the US/Canada...ALWAYS sit with your back to a wall!

Leaned the hard way in the land of the midnight sun when two fighting bears of Indians (FBI) landed on top of me...10am in the morning too! Amazingly both got up apologized then sent over a round of beer.

Being naive and ignorant does not make someone an idiot!

What do you think I am an idiot too? They wanted to go to Pattaya. Have you ever been to the Hilton in Pattaya? Ever been to Central in Pattaya? They both are unique.

I've never stayed at the Hilton Pattaya, nor would I wish too.

But pray tell ... what is so unique about Central (Shopping Centre) in Pattaya?

I am surprised that someone does not find water buffalo tasty. Back in the mid 1960's in Korat the best steak in town was water buffalo and it was a special treat to eat at Charn's Steakhouse. I preferred water buffalo to the black market beef provided by American military. I guess Australian beef has spoiled us all.

• Like 1

It's a bloody ant trail, the traffic jams on Sukhumvit and Klang have gotten far worse since road #7 and Central were built. Why oh why didn't they put them in Sri Racha or where ever.

But there were a lot of people like you too. I was in Pattaya a few years back. I noticed a number of Thai motorcycle taxi drivers with machetes congregating across the street from the bar I hung out at. No one else noticed. I told a few people that I knew. But no, I wouldn't have told anyone who had wanted to find out everything for themselves. For sure I would not have told anyone who thought me a <deleted>. Go figure!

You should hvae told them to go there! Sounds much more fun and exotic than Central and a movie!

And you would've been able to get freshly opened coconuts. Machete is a good tool to knack them open.

i don't think the thread is racist but the OP has no idea that Thai beef, and that includes buffalo, can be prepared that it tastes like Kobe steak. and recommending chicken breast to a steak lover proves that he has no idea of good food in general.

p.s. French beef? laugh.png