Transfer Ownership- Third Owner

Lancelot

I need some advice about buying a used Honda CBR 150.

I'm living in Pattaya and I've located a used Honda CBR 150 in Hua Hin. The original owner was a farang who sold it to the current owner, also a farang.The current owner is reluctant to deliver the bike to Pattaya and since I've never purchased a used bike in Thailand, I want to pay for the bike and transfer ownership at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If we do this at Hua Hin, I'm thinking that I would need to re-register the bike at Pattaya. Is this correct?

Maybe I'm over cautious; the current owner seems to be honest and forth right. I just want to avoid a potential registration problem.

Any comments, suggestiosn or advice is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lance

If you find the bike is OK and decide to buy, the green book and transfer papers from a DLT are signed by him in Hua Hin, take them to your local DLT and go through the motions of filling out and signing all the papers you need plus passport, proof of address etc.

I would say it is so much easier to have a Thai person to help with this but the people at DLT's are usually very good about it.

I did this with the Mrs with my bike, bought in Pattaya and then taken to Sukhothai DLT.

Edited by Kwasaki

If you find the bike is OK and decide to buy, the green book and transfer papers from a DLT are signed by him in Hua Hin, take them to your local DLT and go through the motions of filling out and signing all the papers you need plus passport, proof of address etc.

I would say it is so much easier to have a Thai person to help with this but the people at DLT's are usually very good about it.

I did this with the Mrs with my bike, bought in Pattaya and then taken to Sukhothai DLT.

Thanks K. I agree that the DLT staff are pretty helpful. When I owned a wave I paid the tax myself and didn't have any problems. However, I agree that haveing a Thai national present can certainly help as my Thai language skills are pretty basic.

Always safest to go with the seller and apply for the transfer together.

The DLT will inspect the bike and the paperwork and you will know right away if there is any problem. Any problems, just walk away.

IMO any seller who wants payment but refuses to go with you to their local DLT to apply for the transfer should raise a big red flag.

My advice, show the seller the money, but don't pay until the transfer has been approved.

Once the bike has been transferred into your name you can leave the bike registered in Hua Hin if you like or have the title transferred to Chonburi- it's really up to you.

Best of luck!

Tony

• Like 1

The DLT will inspect the bike and the paperwork and you will know right away if there is any problem. Any problems, just walk away.

IMO any seller who wants payment but refuses to go with you to their local DLT to apply for the transfer should raise a big red flag.

My advice, show the seller the money, but don't pay until the transfer has been approved.

Once the bike has been transferred into your name you can leave the bike registered in Hua Hin if you like or have the title transferred to Chonburi- it's really up to you.

Best of luck!

Tony

Totally agree,

no need to change the registration to Pattaya,

the yearly tax you can pay online wherever you are.

But for transferring, go together with the seller.

Well, I bought a CBR 150- but it was from Korat :)

Big Bike BKK gave me good advice but I decided to see the bike before I had the Residence Letter from Pattaya Immigration. At Korat the seller and I completed the ownership papers at the (Korat) DLT.Without the Residence letter I could not transfer the Green book in to my name; however, staff assured me that the paper work was in good order so I paid up and drobe the bike to Pattaya.

Back in Pattaya I received my Residence letter from Immigration and went to Chonburi DLT to start the transfer/ownership change. I submitted my documents, paid 25 baht and an entry was added to the Green book stating that the bike was being de-registered in Korat and tranfered to Chonburi. I was told to return after three days to have the serial numbers checked and the bike would then be registered in my name. I'm thinking that I will be issued new Chonburi tags but will post later if thats the case or not.

Again, I should have waited two days as per BigBike's advice to receive my Residence letter and then transfer the Greenbook in to my name during the purchasing process :)

good that you got it done....It really is a simple task with the correct paperwork. Many people use service that charge all kinds of extra money...doing it yourself is the way to go...

I view it as a learning experience- I can expand my vocabulary and see first hand how the system works :)

• Like 1

Best of luck!

Tony

thumbsup.gif

congrats Lance on getting through the paperwork transfer. She looks like a clean bike.

Thanks S :)

I like to "putter" so owning a bike full fills this inner need, 555!

I really enjoy riding around the Thai countryside- it clears my mind and I think only of driving the bike :)

The saga continues:

Today I went back to Chonburi DLT for the second step of transfering ownership from the second owner to me, the third owner.

First, I the serial number was checked by placing masking tape over the frame serial number (they didn't check the engine serial number but I already had and it matched) and rubbibg it with a brush. They made two copies, then submitted the green book and serial numbers for a check by office staff.

About twenty minutes later they called my tag number. I retrived my green book with a form and took it to the office, directly opposite from the number checker station.

The receptionist checked my document then gave me a que number. Five minutes later I handed over my docs and was told to have a seat. Another five minutes and I was called back and directed to the cashier, where I paid 390 baht and was again asked to have a seat. Five minutes later I was called back and handed a receipt, a new tax sticker showing a new tag number and a ticket to get my new plates. Something about a back log with license plates and was advised to call and that the new tag should be available by October 31. Staff kept the green book there so I'm wondering if I will get a new green book or simply have my name added to the list.

So, I'm almost there and my bike is a proud new Chonburi resident smile.png

Edited by Lancelot

Third visit:

Sep 27 I made my third trip to Chonburi DLT and received my greenbook. My name was added as the third owner and the new plate number and province was listed on the front cover. The plate date (Ha!) is supposedly on Oct 31. We'll see.

The police stopped me comming and going at a major traffic check on Rt 3, south of Chonburi. No probems, my tax sticker is visible on the windshield and the only document they wanted was my thai drivers license. They were pretty much stopping every one.

Edited by Lancelot

A slight twist to changing owner, a friend bought a bike from a friend who went home on holiday and died! So now he has a bike with a green book in the name of a deceased person, death certificate in a foreign country and unavailable, the bike continues to be taxed and insured in the name of the previous owner. What can he do to transfer ownership?

A slight twist to changing owner, a friend bought a bike from a friend who went home on holiday and died! So now he has a bike with a green book in the name of a deceased person, death certificate in a foreign country and unavailable, the bike continues to be taxed and insured in the name of the previous owner. What can he do to transfer ownership?

I think he needs to have the executor of his estate ask the DLT

Most likely the new owner can continue paying the tax and riding indefinately- until he wants to sell the bike.

However, if the new owner has copies of the seller's passport, transfer and power of attorney forms, why tell the DLT that the seller is deceased?

Remember KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

Not saying any one is stupid :)

The new owner has no copies of the deceased papers, he was given the green book as the seller was jetting on a prolonged holiday and the buyer only found out months later the seller had died. The bike is taxed and insured without a problem but now unable to sell on!

The new owner has no copies of the deceased papers, he was given the green book as the seller was jetting on a prolonged holiday and the buyer only found out months later the seller had died. The bike is taxed and insured without a problem but now unable to sell on!

More complicated but TIT, creative solutiosn abound :)

Any chance of having the heirs send a copy of the sellers passport? With that and the transfer & POA forms the new owner might be able to get the greenbook in his name.

Or maybe discuss this with an attorney in Thailand?

Having the green book is the most important. Another possibility is to explain the situation to a prospective buyer and offer a discount. If the new buyer has a friend at DLT, it could all work out :)

Hope you get it resolved!

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted up about the problem with the PCX I bought here in Pattaya but the bike was originally purchased in Phuket. I have tried to get the previous owner to call the Phuket dealership where she bought it new and I have no luck. I am not sure where I can transfer the green book to my name at this point. Some people mentioned Chonburi somewhere...is that true? So far all I am hearing is go to Phuket.

Any help is appreciated

I have posted up about the problem with the PCX I bought here in Pattaya but the bike was originally purchased in Phuket. I have tried to get the previous owner to call the Phuket dealership where she bought it new and I have no luck. I am not sure where I can transfer the green book to my name at this point. Some people mentioned Chonburi somewhere...is that true? So far all I am hearing is go to Phuket.

Any help is appreciated

Yes, you must go to the Chonburi Department of Land Transportation.

• 3 months later...

Closure! Today I picked up my new number plate from Chonburi DLT. I changed the Green Book into my name on Sep 14, 2012 and finally got the new plate on Jan 24, 2013.

One year government mandated insurance premium- 430 baht

One year tax sticker- 100 baht

I'm good to go! :)