2013 Kawasaki Z1000

JINGJOH

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a group buy on the z1000 forum otherwise i might not have went for it.

Did you get a good price?Those that I have seen are kind of pricey for what they are I think I saw 17k baht?

$400usd shipped to florida

• Like 1

Has anyone with a Z1000 changed the 'massive' front brake reservoir ?? If yes, any pics and info would be gratefully received

That's my 'to do' list Karl.

Obviously Rizoma will save the day there with one of their exquisite pieces wai.gifthumbsup.gif

$400 is about right from MotoMummy.com- dampers look cool, and I thought about getting one, but it will block the steering stem on my bike and that's where I'm gonna mount my GPS.wink.png

Looks aside I guess just depends on bike & how you ride.

I can say I only had a bike or two that needed it. An older 900RR

that I had modded a bit definitely needed it if pulling hard out of corners

with the front getting light if I hit a bump or rough patch it would start the oscillations

which only need be felt once to put the fear of a full blown tank slapper in you laugh.png

PS: side note...The best ever tank slappers can always be seen on some of the IOM TT videos smile.png

Edited by mania

$400 is about right from MotoMummy.com- dampers look cool, and I thought about getting one, but it will block the steering stem on my bike and that's where I'm gonna mount my GPS.wink.png

with the front getting light if I hit a bump or rough patch it would start the oscillations

which only need be felt once to put the fear of a full blown tank slapper in you laugh.png

A steering damper is necessary for a Z 1000 I feel.

Especially when you are gunning it away from the lights and the front end is very light all the way to 120 clicks and beyond w00t.gif

• Like 1

Especially when you are gunning it away from the lights and the front end is very light all the way to 120 clicks and beyond w00t.gif

I would think so too.

Also the roads here are not the best.

High power = light front exiting turns + bad pave = chatter & we know what comes next.

I think that is why we see so many tank slappers on IOM

They are dealing with real world roads not smooth track.

• Like 1

I would think so too.

Also the roads here are not the best.

High power = light front exiting turns + bad pave = chatter & we know what comes next.

I think that is why we see so many tank slappers on IOM

They are dealing with real world roads not smooth track.

Correct - going to watch the Senior race now.

And relax. clap2.gif coffee1.gif thumbsup.gif wai.gif w00t.gif

• Like 1

$400 is about right from MotoMummy.com- dampers look cool, and I thought about getting one, but it will block the steering stem on my bike and that's where I'm gonna mount my GPS.;)

which only need be felt once to put the fear of a full blown tank slapper in you :lol:

Especially when you are gunning it away from the lights and the front end is very light all the way to 120 clicks and beyond :w00t:

On some bikes they're necessary- on a 1st-gen 900RR with a 16" front wheel a damper was a good idea- tank-slappers were frequent occurrences.;)

On my bike, I have yet to read a report of a serious tank-slapper- it seems to be very stable (I say 'seems' as I don't have it yet- now it's supposed to be Saturday...), and I'd probably only end up slowing down what is already not exactly the fastest steering on the road.

That said, they DO look cool, and I'd probably still get one (most likely the Scott's or the GPR) if I didn't need the steering stem for my mount.

Edited by RubberSideDown

On some bikes they're necessary-

Agreed, rake & trail + power & weight all have a reaction & some bikes

are just more planted depending on geometry

If your reading forums of 1400 owners & they are not using them then probably fine without.

This is how i mounted my gps of course if you dont like that style mirrors then its ng

20130610_181545.jpg

20130610_181552.jpg

Those mirrors would be great if you can sling them upside down and still see whats behind you!

Norm now that you have had the Z awhile what are your thoughts?

Having come off the 650 how do they compare?

Now don't just say the Z wheelies easier :)

Power of course greater but what about the rest?

Handling, powerband characteristics etc..

Would be interested to hear what you think

i would like to know if its restricted ? If yes can it be opened up....

I saw the Z1000 advertised on facebook recently by one of the bike importers and they were asking 690,000 but they said it was the USA unrestricted version and not the restricted Japanese version that Kawasaki sell here. Not sure it's worth another 100k!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Any info on what the restriction is and if it can be by-passed..??

I saw the Z1000 advertised on facebook recently by one of the bike importers and they were asking 690,000 but they said it was the USA unrestricted version and not the restricted Japanese version that Kawasaki sell here. Not sure it's worth another 100k!

The Thai models are unrestricted.

The Thai models are unrestricted.

Cheers...

I've been looking at Triumph Speed Triple & Suzuki's B-King, but they're prohibitively expensive, so considering one of these instead... I'm not sold on the colour schemes though...

There is no 'Japanese restricted version' of the Z1000- it's not even offered on the Kawasaki Japan website (meaning if you want one in Japan you have to buy an 'export version' and pay additional taxes).

The Z1000 and ZX-14R sold through Kawasaki Thailand are both full-power.

Edited by RubberSideDown

There is no 'Japanese restricted version' of the Z1000- it's not even offered on the Kawasaki Japan website (meaning if you want one in Japan you have to buy an 'export version' and pay additional taxes).

My guess is the original old post he quoted that said a "importer" brought in the unrestricted bike was talking about a

ZX10R 1000 not a Z1000

Edited by mania

My guess is the original old post he quoted that said a "importer" brought in the unrestricted bike was talking about a

ZX10R 1000 not a Z1000

Yeah, could be...I'm not very "up to the minute" with all the latest motorcycling news, hence me asking about restrictions rather than accepting it as gospel... smile.png

Has anyone with a Z1000 changed the 'massive' front brake reservoir ?? If yes, any pics and info would be gratefully received

That's my 'to do' list Karl.

Obviously Rizoma will save the day there with one of their exquisite pieces wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Just after I ordered a Rizoma (~US$79) I found this one that looks pretty nice .

• 2 weeks later...