Thai Airways 'drop' Koh Samui

Anything which keeps the tourists away is good in my book.

Sorry, but that is a pretty parochial view.

No tourists means

No hospitals except Nathon and it was pretty basic only having to serve 20xxx locals

No 7/11's or Familymarts

No Makro, Big C, Tesco, Calibri, Choice Foods, All Star etc etc

Mama Pap shops selling ,ilk/bread etc well past its sell by date

No Airport

Worse infrastructure (no tarmac roads, bigger and better pot holes, shixxy drains and more floods EVERY time it rains)

Cruppy internet and telephone system (six months for a telephone line if you are lucky)

Only two ATM machines on the island

No taxis - just unlicenced and uninsured private cars who charged todays prices 12 years ago or songthows (in some areas)

Car hire - Suzuki jeeps or the occasional truck (no cars or automatic scooters)

No fresh bread - unless you stayed in a big hotel, and there were not many

All commerce and bill paying had to happen in Nathon

More frequent power cuts and water shortages

But hey - the beaches were empty (and dirty - no one cleaned them)

and you did not have to queue in a restaurant.

To be frank about it, probably , NO electricity at all !

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about the thai airways drop as well from at least 3 other websites, although no much detail as to why but only a few speculations from other posts I read

1. Landing charge was increased from 3,000 USD to 5,000 USD

2. Thai airways is reducing its airline fleet and the only airplanes that can land on samui they are getting rid of

3. Political issue / corruption to get them out of the bangkok - samui route

If there is a particular reason that thai airways is dropping the route I wonder before how long if silk air, firefly quit flying here as well, after all bangkok airways own the airport and can literally do whatever they want

About time that the government bought the airport and extended the runway !

The government can't just buy an airport it has to be for sale first

Shame cause the owner on Bangkok airways also is an owner of Bangkok hospital so they own the island

Samui is a tropical island I am not sure if the airport is keeping the rif raf out or hurting our business

Phuket has a bigger crime rate but they are a bigger island with high ways

Anyway I dunno

• Like 1

BKK airways owns the airport. And since it's a privately owned airport, it's governed by regulations limiting the number of flights per day. There's no reason why BKK airways wouldn't let other airlines land there (they'd just charge them landing fees), but they have no flight slots to give them because of regulations.

What does Samui have that Phuket doesn't? The only thing I can think of is the full moon party, which is of little interest to anyone over 30.

We have a nice summer season.

Rainfall Phuket:

Rainfall Samui:

April !!! Chaweng

Mars 2011, and Phuket never has floods?

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=flood+phuket&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=qWVRUP3PBIHprAel-oH4Ag&biw=1600&bih=742&sei=rGVRUJEV0eGsB7nCgcAP

• Like 1

What does Samui have that Phuket doesn't? The only thing I can think of is the full moon party, which is of little interest to anyone over 30.

Rainfall Phuket:

Rainfall Samui:

April !!! Chaweng

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=flood+phuket&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=qWVRUP3PBIHprAel-oH4Ag&biw=1600&bih=742&sei=rGVRUJEV0eGsB7nCgcAP

How does the weather in mars have anything to do with Phuket or Samui

If I was rich I would like Bangkok airways but I am not so for my prospective as an expat businessman Bangkok airport ha allot o answer for

There again of I was rich I would be flying 1 st clas every where anyway

Rainfall Phuket:

Rainfall Samui:

April !!! Chaweng

https://www.google.c...JEV0eGsB7nCgcAP

thumbsup.gif Exactly....funny how he conveniently managed to miss out the fact that it was not 2012 but that it was also late March 2011, but, hey, never let the facts get in the way though, biggrin.png

This month Bangkok Airways has 17 direct flights per day from Bangkok to Samui, plus 7 indirect ones. In December they have 21 direct flights per day, plus the 7 indirect ones.

Thai Airways didn't have a real presence in and out of Samui anyway, and I guess my question is this: Is 21 direct flights per day "restrictive"? Are you suggesting that another airlines like Thai would do well to have flights throughout the night? Or do you suggest that other airlines can land in the time gaps between Bangkok Airways? With 21 flights landing between 7am and 10pm, and some landing times only five minutes apart, that doesn't leave much room for Thai or anyone else to squeeze in.

This month Bangkok Airways has 17 direct flights per day from Bangkok to Samui, plus 7 indirect ones. In December they have 21 direct flights per day, plus the 7 indirect ones.

Thai Airways didn't have a real presence in and out of Samui anyway, and I guess my question is this: Is 21 direct flights per day "restrictive"? Are you suggesting that another airlines like Thai would do well to have flights throughout the night? Or do you suggest that other airlines can land in the time gaps between Bangkok Airways? With 21 flights landing between 7am and 10pm, and some landing times only five minutes apart, that doesn't leave much room for Thai or anyone else to squeeze in.

Sorry to be pedantic - the flights start at 6 am. Samui is allowed 38 flights per day. Room for another 17! rolleyes.gif

38 flights in 16 hours (They often fly after 10 pm due to the many delays). 76 aircraft movements. On average, that's one flight every 12+ minutes. I do not think that the ATC's are going to break into a sweat. Oops I nearly forgot about the military flights. I assume that they are not included in the 38?

• 4 months later...

Wasn't a rumour. When I posted - the TG web site would not allow any bookings after this date. This was less than four months ago.

Most airlines allow bookings further out than four months. In fact - Thai are now allowing bookings more than seven months out.

I guess that they have 'renegotiated' their deal with Bandit Airways thumbsup.gif .

I thought it was the 23rd of January.

Checked, absolutly correct. Thai Airways NO longer flies to Samui as of the 23rd.

It is now Thai Smile.

Edited by Rooo

I heard about this 6 months ago. If correct then it's bad news for the tourist industry on Samui.

Thai Airways started flying to Samui (2 flights per day) so they could link up with there International flights. It was easy for customers to book a ticket all the way through to Samui.

Bangkok Airways are really starving the Island of Tourists with there RIP OFF service.

Phuket locals & expats must be laughting their heads off at Samui.

• Like 1

I heard about this 6 months ago. If correct then it's bad news for the tourist industry on Samui.

Thai Airways started flying to Samui (2 flights per day) so they could link up with there International flights. It was easy for customers to book a ticket all the way through to Samui.

Bangkok Airways are really starving the Island of Tourists with there RIP OFF service.

Did you read the previous post?biggrin.png

I heard about the thai airways drop as well from at least 3 other websites, although no much detail as to why but only a few speculations from other posts I read

2. Thai airways is reducing its airline fleet and the only airplanes that can land on samui they are getting rid of

If there is a particular reason that thai airways is dropping the route I wonder before how long if silk air, firefly quit flying here as well, after all bangkok airways own the airport and can literally do whatever they want

Why

A lady who works for Thai Air told me that landing fees are getting too big on Samui. Once again this monopoly by Bandit Airways is controlling everything concerning the tourism industry. It is about time that the government stepped in and stopped this greed.

Edited by oldsailor35

Yes but it's just too boring!bah.gif

Yes but it's just too boring!bah.gif

Well before you make another comment, read my post. Might be too hard, so will explain it again. The route will now be serviced by Thai's new venture, Thai Smile. Thai Airways not abandoning the island.

Well before you make another comment, read my post. Might be too hard, so will explain it again. The route will now be serviced by Thai's new venture, Thai Smile. Thai Airways not abandoning the island.

Thank you Rooo!

Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand the details.

As far as I know, the airport on Samui is OWNED by Bangkok Airways since they start buying the land in secret back in the 80's and constructed the airstrip and buildings.

They had, in fact, the monopoly.

Later Thai Airways was also allowed to fly on Samui.

I understand that this has now changed into Thai Smile.

But what about BKK Airways?

I thought I read something about selling a part of their shares or even an IPO in the future?

Do you mind to explain a little further since I didn't follow every post and link about BKK Airways and there's so much about them that it's like walking in a coconut plantation but you can't find the coconuts anymore laugh.png

Edited by LaoPo
  • Like 1

Thank you Rooo!

Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand the details.

As far as I know, the airport on Samui is OWNED by Bangkok Airways since they start buying the land in secret back in the 80's and constructed the airstrip and buildings.

They had, in fact, the monopoly.

Later Thai Airways was also allowed to fly on Samui.

I understand that this has now changed into Thai Smile.

But what about BKK Airways?

I thought I read something about selling a part of their shares or even an IPO in the future?

Do you mind to explain a little further since I didn't follow every post and link about BKK Airways and there's so much about them that it's like walking in a coconut plantation but you can't find the coconuts anymore laugh.png

I will look for you, but they did raise some money for building the new terminal.Give me some time.

Why

To stop the Bandit Airways monopoly duhhhn !

• Like 1