Travel From Vientiane To Udon Thani Airport

Im in Vientiane today and pick up my passport at the Thai consulate tomorrow at one. Can anybody give advice on best ways to get to the airport in udon Thani from there?

I'm pretty budget minded but will pay more if it's worth it. I have to catch a 7:30 plane.

I've searched around for this info but haven't found anything definitive.

Thanks!

Edited by beb

Check here, from Vientiane: http://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/vientiane/all

"The Central Bus Station also offers convenient service to Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Korat and Khon Kaen in northern Thailand. From any of these cities it is easy to catch buses to other destinations within Thailand.

Khon Kaen 08:15, 14:45. Price: 50,000 kip, 4-5 hours

Khorat (Nakhon Ratchasima) 07:30. Price: 80,000 kip, 7 hours

Nong Khai 07:30, 09:30, 12:40, 14:30, 15:30, 18:00. Price: 15,000 kip, 1 hour

Udon Thani 08:00, 10:30, 11:30. 14:00, 16:00, 18:00. Price: 22,000 kip, 2-3 hours"

I hope you mean 7.30pm! If so, catching a bus from Vientiane to Udon that leaves around 4 hours before your flight leaves you with plenty of time to catch your flight and is also good for the budget conscious traveller.

Check-in closes 30 mins before domestic flight departures in Thailand; not sure why that is when it's only 15 mins in Australia, which obviously have much larger airports than Udon, but hey, the domestic airline industry in Thailand is obviously not as business minded as in Australia. Most travellers on Thai domestic flights are either tourists or visiting family/relatives, unlike in Australia where the majority are business travellers, but anyway, I digress.

At Rue Samsenthai and the corner of Khun Bu Lom Rd there is a shuttle to UT airport. It's run by Nok Air (I think), but I don't know if you have to be flying with them to use it. Never used it, never enquired, but there is someone at the little booth there even when the office is closed.

It's just next to an empty Indian store.

Red marks the spot.

post-12743-0-31852000-1347276763_thumb.j

• Like 1

if you try to catch a minibus from friendship bridge I always have gotten dinged for 800-1000 baht if you can't find someone to share the fair, and last time I was the only falang going to the airport so I paid but driver took 2 of his thai buddies and dropped them off in Udon before taking me to the airport and almost missed my flight and guess what.... neither paid nothing

Thanks for all the replies everybody. It turned out to be actually very easy. I met a nice guy in line and he guided me through it.

There are vans outside the consulate that take you to friendship bridge for 100 baht. From there we hired another van BEFORE crossing the bridge for 200 baht each and they dropped each of us at our destination. I was going to the airport and arrived there around 3:30. In both cases the vans waited to get enough passengers but in our case it was a matter of minutes. I understand it can take much longer depending on the number of people going through.

So for 300 baht total I got to the airport. I know you can do it cheaper if you go get a bus but to me it was money well spent.

One other thing FWIW, there is a lady right outside the consulate selling snacks that will pick up your passport for 100 baht. I wasn't going to do this since it seemed like a simple task. Believe me, it was money well spent. People start lining up around 12 and that sun is beating down hard. To be able to sit in the shade and sip a cold drink instead of standing in line was certainly worth the baht. And they were about the 4th person out so our van was the first to leave.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

how long was the van ride beb ? I am thinking of doing the same next mth as I stay in CM.

Hmm, I think it was a couple of hours. If you are traveling from the consulate to the airport to fly back on NOK air (to chiang Mai), you'll be at the airport hours before the afternoon flight. In fact in the future I'll probably have them drop me in the city and then tuk tuk to the airport later.

• 3 months later...

I will be catching a 2:55 pm Nok Air flight from Udon Thani airport. But I am not going anywhere near the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (Thank Goodness) and I am not getting a visa. I am just visiting Vientiane on private business.

Is there an easy way to get directly to Udon Airport from Vientiane or just get to the border and then sort it out on the Laos side before crossing over. I guess for a 2:55 pm flight, leaving Vientiane at 11 o'clockish should be easily enough time.

I will be catching a 2:55 pm Nok Air flight from Udon Thani airport. But I am not going anywhere near the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (Thank Goodness) and I am not getting a visa. I am just visiting Vientiane on private business.

Is there an easy way to get directly to Udon Airport from Vientiane or just get to the border and then sort it out on the Laos side before crossing over. I guess for a 2:55 pm flight, leaving Vientiane at 11 o'clockish should be easily enough time.

I haven't done this but Nok has a van that goes from Vientiane to Udon. You need to book it beforehand I think.

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to get your visa in vientiena and flight the same day from udon on 17:05 ?

Not possible.

Request visa in the AM on day one. Pick up passport on day two. At least one overnight stay is required.

I mean I ask a visa in day 1 and day 2 I pick it up and go fast to udon.

BTW Thanks for quick response

Is it possible to get your visa in vientiena and flight the same day from udon on 17:05 ?

Not possible.

Request visa in the AM on day one. Pick up passport on day two. At least one overnight stay is required.

I mean I ask a visa in day 1 and day 2 I pick it up and go fast to udon.

BTW Thanks for quick response

No problem !

Guess it all depends on how fast you can run and the flight schedule !

You with a bit of luck might just make it !smile.png

Good luck