Suvarnabhumi Airport Will Not Be Flooded This Year: Aot

webfact

Suvarnabhumi airport will remain dry through rainy season

BANGKOK, 10 September 2012 (NNT)- Airports of Thailand (AoT) President Somchai Sawasdipol is confident that Suvarnabhumi International Airport and communities nearby will not be flooded this year.

The AoT President said the airport will rely on the same flood prevention plan implemented last year to assure that this economic zone will remain dry throughout the rainy season.

The company will follow weather and flood updates regularly in preparation for any emergency events. According to Mr. Somchai, a professional help has been hired since July to analyze the AOT's flood prevention plan efficiency.

The AoT has spent 4 million baht in consultation fees for the study which confirmed that the amount of water in the north of Suvarnabhumi, from Rangsit to Ladkrabang, remains manageable; while the water pumps in the south of the airport are able to drain 30 million cubic meters of water per day.

He added that Samutprakarn province and Ladkrabang district, Bangkok have coordinated their efforts to allow the runoff to quickly flow into the sea through Chonlaharn sluice gate. Mr. Somchai said more draining machines would be placed around the earthen dikes, if necessary.

The AoT President expressed his confidence that with current measures in place and the ongoing preparation, the surrounding communities will not have to bear the brunt of flooding this year.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-10 footer_n.gif

The AoT President expressed his confidence that with current measures in place and the ongoing preparation, the surrounding communities will not have to bear the brunt of flooding this year.

If I were a resident in the "surrounding communities", I would take that statement with a pinch of salt. :(

The AoT has spent 4 million baht in consultation fees for the study which confirmed that the amount of water in the north of Suvarnabhumi, from Rangsit to Ladkrabang, remains manageable; while the water pumps in the south of the airport are able to drain 30 million cubic meters of water per day.

Why spent THB 4 million, didn't they trust the NWRFPC ? No faith in member Royol Chitradon, who is director of the Hydro and Agro-Informatics Institute ?

Suvarnabhumi airport will remain dry through rainy season

If so, why it has to be announced?

Isn't it in 99% of the cases true that if an "official" or "politician" announces something repeatedly (i.e. "There will definitely be NO tax increases this year!") always the opposite happens?

Edited by catweazle

I thought there was a wrong writing and a mistake, it must read, DON MUANG, will not be flooded this rainy season.

That would be nice and "news". And, will make AIR ASIA happy!

Suvarnabhumi will not be flooded this season? I never thought that Airport had a serious chance to be flooded!

Maybe, somebody needed the 4 Million Baht urgently!?coffee1.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Well, the pumps must be pretty impressive. The entire Yom River just south of Sukothai is currently only able to cope with 450 cm3 per second which is around 37 million per day. So the pumps at the airport at 30 million per day can handle almost as much water as the river each day. I would love to see a full on test of that !! it is an equivalent amount that is causing the huge 1.2m deep floods in the entire area. Perhaps it would be beneficial to move the pumps to where they are needed, or spend some money and buy some more. I bet they didn't cost anywhere near 350 Billion. I wonder where that 4 million went?

Well, the pumps must be pretty impressive. The entire Yom River just south of Sukothai is currently only able to cope with 450 cm3 per second which is around 37 million per day. So the pumps at the airport at 30 million per day can handle almost as much water as the river each day. I would love to see a full on test of that !! it is an equivalent amount that is causing the huge 1.2m deep floods in the entire area. Perhaps it would be beneficial to move the pumps to where they are needed, or spend some money and buy some more. I bet they didn't cost anywhere near 350 Billion. I wonder where that 4 million went?

Hope links are allowed. Anyways you can google the flood canal built for the airport. It goes straight to the sea.

http://www.thailandq...ÒÁºÔ¹ÊØÇÃóÀÙÁÔ

http://www.thai-blog...abhumi-airport/

EDIT: I think you meant cubic meters, not cubic centimeters. 450cm3 is the size of a breast implant

Edited by IsaanUSA
  • Like 1