Red Bull Heir Worrayuth Faces Charge: Hit-And-Run Crash

webfact

The exclusive Ferrari dealer in Thailand is Cavallino Motors, owned by the owner of Red Bull and the owner of Singha beer in partnership. http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx It's no "coincidence" that the local Thai Ferrari dealer, Cavallino, has "no expertise" in diagnosing the car's black box.

Secondly, no "murder" charges yet? It's an obvious case of murder. The only question is what class of murder? Premeditated, negligent homicide - both compounded by drunk driving, or will this one be allowed to slide?

I would think it's a question of how you define murder and of course remembering this would all be in Thai not English.

In the UK it would almost certainly not be murder but manslaughter as it wasn't premeditated as far as I know. In the US it would second degree or more likely involuntary manslaughter as far as I can tell as it was the act of being drunk and driving in an inappropriate manner that led to the death. Continuing to drive whilst the victim is still in contact with the vehicle may be relevant. I'm not sure if the policeman was dragged intentionally after the impact or if the speed meant it took some time for the car to slow down plus the slow reactions of the driver made worse by the alcohol consumed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exclusive Ferrari dealer in Thailand is Cavallino Motors, owned by the owner of Red Bull and the owner of Singha beer in partnership. http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx It's no "coincidence" that the local Thai Ferrari dealer, Cavallino, has "no expertise" in diagnosing the car's black box.

Secondly, no "murder" charges yet? It's an obvious case of murder. The only question is what class of murder? Premeditated, negligent homicide - both compounded by drunk driving, or will this one be allowed to slide?

I would think it's a question of how you define murder and of course remembering this would all be in Thai not English.

In the UK it would almost certainly not be murder but manslaughter as it wasn't premeditated as far as I know. In the US it would second degree or more likely involuntary manslaughter as far as I can tell as it was the act of being drunk and driving in an inappropriate manner that led to the death. Continuing to drive whilst the victim is still in contact with the vehicle may be relevant. I'm not sure if the policeman was dragged intentionally after the impact or if the speed meant it took some time for the car to slow down plus the slow reactions of the driver made worse by the alcohol consumed.

bibslaughter lol.

When you are doing 200K and the airbag is deployed you don't slam on the big pedal too hard necessarily and within a few short seconds you have traveled past a couple of sois.

we all know that most Thais flee the scene after an accident and some even say under Thai law there is no requirement for them to stop and therein is the big problem, this guy wasn't interviewed by police for several hours after this incident I think I read here 6 hours, very difficult to hit him with a Drunk driving charge after that length of time - in my opinion impossible to prove, also already stated in another thread - he did not drag the victim along the road and looking at the car and the nature of the accident I'd also find it hard to believe that he did, so what are we left with, speeding - death by dangerous driving - leaving the scene of an accident - not reporting the accident, I don't know what the Thai laws are but there's not much more to be made of this unfortunately

True. I do not know much about drink driving laws in Thailand or what thier time requirements are but as time passes it does become more difficult. I know in Melbourne the driver must be breathe tested in the 1st 3 hours of being involved in a collision after that there is no legal requirement to undergo a breath test. The very 1st thing an officer will do even before questioning is put a requirement for a preliminary breath test. If the driver is taken to hospital Doctors and medical staff are required by law to take a blood sample on arrival.

The biggest problem I see in Thailand associated with fatal road accidents is leaving the scene, the solution (were death or serious injury is involved) is to make this a mandatory jail sentence once the facts are established, if the fleeing driver is found to be the cause of the accident making "leaving the scene" the most serious of all moving traffic offences, once this is done and established then it would dramatically change the landscape of RTA's and might even make driving standards improve.here in LOS

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that it was only manslaughter, but I doubt it was premeditated murder. Even his actions after hitting him don't make it "premeditated" ... seeing as they happened during or after the event.

The was the suggestion that the initial impact didn't kill the officer, but dragging him down the road did - the "choice" to flee. That, coupled with the fact that the driver didn't choose stop to see if there was anything that can be done, might just be seen as "premeditation" is some eyes.

That isn't premeditation. Anything he decided to do after the initial contact would not be premeditation.

pre·med·i·ta·tion (pr -m d -t sh n). n. 1. The act of speculating, arranging, or plotting in advance. (freedictionary)

I have no idea what the guy will be charged with but lets get the premeditated thing out of the way. It doesn't matter what you think or what dictionary definition you use 'premeditation' can be formed in a nano second, it is still after all in 'advance' of the situation. You seem to be getting confused with watching too many murders on Columbo etc where murders are planned with meticulous cunning weeks in advance. IF the driver hit the policeman and subsequently decided to carry on driving to ensure 'dead men don't talk' then it goes from a potential accident to pre meditated murder...simple. All over Thailand it is common place in rural traffic accidents for a driver to reverse over a 'downed' motor biker they have hit to avoid the expensive costs of compensation and rehabilitation and accept the flat rate fine of 50K baht for killing someone on the road. It is nothing short of murder when people do this and it is premeditated. Even if they only think of doing it for a few seconds before their action, it is pre meditated, it is definitely NOT manslaughter.

A moral in the story...if you are ever hit in an RTA in Thailand, muster whatever ounces of strength you have remaining and get up and off the road less you never get up again.

honestly mate it's not premeditated - you are wrong, if you look at the word itself it should be quite obvious, Pre- Meditated - it means someone sits down and plans out an action giving it thought over time, if I carry a gun (most of the time) and walk into a bar and I'm minding my own business and someone I didn't previously know attacks me with a knife and I shoot him were he is obviously not dead and decide to shoot him again - that is still not Pre-Meditated but could be unlwaful killing or at a stretch 3rd degree Murder depending on circumstance

• Like 1

bibslaughter lol.

When you are doing 200K and the airbag is deployed you don't slam on the big pedal too hard necessarily and within a few short seconds you have traveled past a couple of sois.

I have been reading all these responses on what is murder and what is manslaughter and some are quite funny really. Quite amusing to someone who has had 20+ years in policing. Carry on guys.

Why do so many people refer to Worayuth as a kid or boy? He is 27 years old and a man by every definition. A stupid looking cap doesn't make him a boy He is just an immature Hi So living in a fantasy world with a monetary equivalent of royal superiority and privilege.

My take on the photo is that the motorcycle was hit straight on from behind at Sukhumvit 47 and the motorcycle veered left and did the damage to the left bumper and fender as it was pushed to the side by the car at Sukhumvit 49. The police officer was ejected on impact from his seat and flew straight back into the windshield. There were reports of some pieces of his uniform insignias and badge were embedded in the windshield. It appears that the officer wasn't dragged but was actually on the hood and windshield until he fell off the car. "The expert said the policeman's body fell from the car 64.8 metres from the crash site (Suk 47) as there were more bloodstains at that spot. The policeman appeared to have died there, the source said. The source said the suspect might have swerved the car at about 200 metres from the crash site (probably past Suk 49?) to shake off the stuck motorcycle. The machine was found about 200 metres away from the crash site at (probably past?) the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 49."

GoogleEarth measures about 150 meters between Suk 47 and 49 and 280 meters between Suk 49 and 53. News reports vary as to what happened and where.

Possible conclusions:

1 Premeditated murder if Worayuth intentionally rammed the officer because he was about to be stopped for speeding.

2 Premeditated if it was an accidental ramming and the officer was still alive while on the windshield and hood and Worayuth was intentionally trying to get away. It was reported that the officer died 64.8 meters from from the crash site.

At 100 kph, 64.8 meters = 2.33 seconds from crash to where the body was dropped from the car.

3 Homicide (unlikely) if it was an accidental ramming and the officer was already dead on the windshield before Worayuth made his escape.

Most likely speeding at more than 100 kph and not more than 2.33 seconds to have died. Even a broken neck would take longer than that to die that "instantly".

Fact: 100 kph = 27.778 meters per second

Edited by aguy30

Why do so many people refer to Worayuth as a kid or boy? He is 27 years old and a man by every definition. A stupid looking cap doesn't make him a boy He is just an immature Hi So living in a fantasy world with a monetary equivalent of royal superiority and privilege.

Hi-So, sure, that I've gathered from the lifestyle, but having never heard of him before this, where does the immature part come from ? Is it general envy-based commentary, or based on something else ?

Getting drunk in a pub and driving a high-powered car with impaired function is utterly stupid, but it doesn't seem to be immature as drunk drivers never do seem to grow out of it. Stupid's the word, why not use a big Benz with a driver, easier to get into action in the backseat with them good girls picked up on the local Hi-So club. Now come to think of that .. maybe he really is immature, all old geezers would use a car with a driver if going to get plastered and the finances are there.

I have been reading all these responses on what is murder and what is manslaughter and some are quite funny really. Quite amusing to someone who has had 20+ years in policing. Carry on guys.

I agree. Not that I have been in policing. But the armchair laywers are out in force.

We might as well start to speculate what the verdict will be.

Im thinking reckless driving, causing accidental death. Big fine and a slap on the wrists and a suspended sentence.

I don't like to play lawyer, but so many here have given their versions of what would happen in court in their "home countries". I can only state that my knowledge of 'western' justice requires that a defendant be proven guilty beyond any reasonable doubt. I have not seen anything in the news articles that demonstrates that such proof exists -- but perhaps I missed it ?

Such proof would require being able to place Worrayuth behind the wheel of the Ferrari at the time of impact. Is there a confession or eye witness ? -- or circumstantially was he seen driving the car earlier or on return to his home ? Fingerprints on the steering wheel would at least be helpful, unless there are other fingerprints there.

Drunk at the time of the accident ? He had hours to get drunk before the blood test was taken - this would be thrown out in most countries.

There's not really much there for any conviction. No wonder public prosecutors are asking police for more evidence, and TV opinions do not count as evidence.

Edited by tigermonkey

bibslaughter lol.

Well why not contribute your thoughts and experience then.

• Like 1

I don't like to play lawyer, but so many here have given their versions of what would happen in court in their "home countries". I can only state that my knowledge of 'western' justice requires that a defendant be proven guilty beyond any reasonable doubt. I have not seen anything in the news articles that demonstrates that such proof exists -- but perhaps I missed it ?

Such proof would require being able to place Worrayuth behind the wheel of the Ferrari at the time of impact. Is there a confession or eye witness ? -- or circumstantially was he seen driving the car earlier or on return to his home ? Fingerprints on the steering wheel would at least be helpful, unless there are other fingerprints there.

Drunk at the time of the accident ? He had hours to get drunk before the blood test was taken - this would be thrown out in most countries.

There's not really much there for any conviction. No wonder public prosecutors are asking police for more evidence, and TV opinions do not count as evidence.

One of the previous articles had a statement that Worrayuth's DNA was found on the driver-side, deployed airbag and restraining belts. I don't know about the belts, but one would think that the airbag DNA would be pretty convincing in indicating that he was the driver at time of impact/airbag deployment.

I thought there had already been an admission that he was driving. Didn't he say that the policeman came out from a side street?

One of the previous articles had a statement that Worrayuth's DNA was found on the driver-side, deployed airbag and restraining belts. I don't know about the belts, but one would think that the airbag DNA would be pretty convincing in indicating that he was the driver at time of impact/airbag deployment.

I saw a statement that police had obtained DNA and fingerprints from the Ferrari, but I had not seen that Worrayuth's DNA was identified. In any case, if he drove the car and wore seatbelts,his DNA is embedded in the seatbelts. A sudden impact on the seatbelt from the airbag, and now that DNA is on the airbag, whether he is driving or not.

Is there other DNA on the airbag - who knows? I guess we need to wait and see.

Edited by tigermonkey

bibslaughter lol.

I admit I may have got a bit sidetracked by all the talk about it being murder. The point I was trying to make was that just because you have drunk too much alcohol and are driving too fast doesn't mean that you planned to kill someone. Of course I have no idea about the law in Thailand about these matters but I was assuming others were posting based on their own view relating to their own country. There's also the point I made about language as the charge wouldn't be murder or anything else in English and translation can alter the original meaning.

I would think that in the UK that it might be causing death by dangerous driving but that's just a guess. Other countries I'm not sure about.

I notice that your 20+ years experience in policing has enabled you take the following action: Find it funny and amusing. Well done. I can't help thinking you should be able to get a job in the Thai police with that very helpful and enthusiastic performance.

Sorry about my rudeness. Will 200 baht get me off a severe reprimand?

• Like 1

I admit I may have got a bit sidetracked by all the talk about it being murder. The point I was trying to make was that just because you have drunk too much alcohol and are driving too fast doesn't mean that you planned to kill someone. Of course I have no idea about the law in Thailand about these matters but I was assuming others were posting based on their own view relating to their own country. There's also the point I made about language as the charge wouldn't be murder or anything else in English and translation can alter the original meaning.

I would think that in the UK that it might be causing death by dangerous driving but that's just a guess. Other countries I'm not sure about.

I notice that your 20+ years experience in policing has enabled you take the following action: Find it funny and amusing. Well done. I can't help thinking you should be able to get a job in the Thai police with that very helpful and enthusiastic performance.

+1

I thought it (in fact I bet a lot of us have), you wrote it thumbsup.gif

I thought there had already been an admission that he was driving. Didn't he say that the policeman came out from a side street?

The press have reported an admission along with the claim that the policeman suddenly came out of a side street. The Guardian and others reported this, but no claim from the police that he has made any such statement. We really don't know if such a statement was actually made.

The press also reported ( unconfirmed by police) that several witnesses identified Worrayuth as the driver. Very good eyes to identify the driver of a vehicle moving at over 100kph with tinted windows -- I really don't know if it is possible.

If I was the boss of Ferrari the last thing I would want was to have my cars being sold by drunk

and corrupt distributors and supplying spoiled brain dead little rich kids what is in effect a murder weapon. Change your distributer Mr Ferrari.

Ironically Worayuth's high profile connections with Red Bull and Ferrari is likely to be his undoing.

If he'd just been very rich he would have got Thai justice..... maybe just a suspended sentence for 'helping the police' with their investigation and a six month driving ban or something ridiculous.

But Red Bull and especially Ferrari are not going to want to be associated with supporting the disgraceful actions of this road thug in any way, shape or form and so he's probably going to have his wings clipped and face a spell in the cell.

• Like 1

You are all sick and mentally retarded! Very sorry. Intellectually like a thai hooker!

Mods, can't there be a sticky thread for the best ever first postings on TV. Our Frank ere as to go right up there with the best of um.

Frank, dear chap, I am puzzled by your sentence structure, are you apologizing to us because you have the intellectual ability of a Thai hooker? There are just so many ways of reading it. be a good chap and clarify for all of us mentally retarded types.

• Like 2

You are all sick and mentally retarded! Very sorry. Intellectually like a thai hooker!

Mods, can't there be a sticky thread for the best ever first postings on TV. Our Frank ere as to go right up there with the best of um.

Frank, dear chap, I am puzzled by your sentence structure, are you apologizing to us because you have the intellectual ability of a Thai hooker? There are just so many ways of reading it. be a good chap and clarify for all of us mentally retarded types.

Don't encourage him for goodness sake. laugh.png You may have a bit of a wait. It's taken since Christmas Day last year to come up with that first little gem of his. Could be a troll I suppose, or a Christmas elf.

Just to get back to somewhere vaguely near the topic is a Ferrari a suitable vehicle for Thai roads? They're OK a lot of the time on the main routes but you can still come across really big holes in major roads as well as places where the surface has been pushed up into raised hump which could overturn a car or rip it's underside.

Edited by kimamey

That's right, prove his point. cheesy.gif

+1

I thought it (in fact I bet a lot of us have), you wrote it thumbsup.gif

Thanks.

An informed comment from someone with experience would be helpful in these cases but instead you get those who know nothing telling you the facts with complete conviction or apparent experts boasting about their knowledge without imparting any of it. I usually put my point in a civilised manner rather than get angry but sometimes I just need that little bit more so I resort to sarcasm even if it's not always understood.

I've just done the same for "frankbrunner66" with my post #81.

It fills in the time waiting for the Thai justice system to give us a verdict we can all argue about.

Thank you for your very kind "like" Softgeorge

Why stop there.

If the Thai government had any sense ie wanted to save money, and solve every crime or suspected crime in the Kingdom, it should outsource everything to the investigative, CSI and pathology experts that sit around all day wasting their skills and experience posting on TVF. thumbsup.gif

Perhaps George could get a %.

Edited by jackspratt