Don Mueang Airport To Be Flood-Free This Year

webfact

Don Mueang Airport to be flood-free this year

image_20120911090308B310D6D9-E937-ECDA-823B5054CF3FBF07.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 11 – Don Mueang Airport, one of Bangkok’s two international airports which were badly damaged by floods last year, will definitely stay dry this year, according to a high-ranking airport official.

Acting Flying Officer Anirut Thanomkulbutra, president of Airports of Thailand (AoT), said the agency is working closely with the Royal Thai Air Force to build flood prevention barriers around the airport.

Construction will be completed later this month, he said, adding that AoT has improved the efficiency of water pumps to drain water out of the airport at one million cubic metres per day while the swamp in the airport compound has been dredged to hold one million cubic metres of water.

He said the AoT will coordinate with the Rural Highways Department, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the State Railway of Thailand in mapping out more detailed and careful preparations for efficient prevention of floods.

Don Mueang Airport was closed for months after the massive water runoff from the North completely covered it, compelling all Don Mueang-based airlines, mainly budget carriers, to move to Suvarnabhumi Airport. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

Where is the notification to the public on which areas will be monkey cheeks? Don Mueang will not flood, what about Lamlokka, Pathumtani? Rangsit has already been flooded. Why can not the government tell the people what the plans are? We know the klongs in Lamlokka and Klong Luang have not been dredged or cleaned, is this area to become a monkey cheek?

Wasn't that said just a week before it flooded last year?

It was definitely going to stay dry and not flood. That's why the FROC moved their operations there from their previously flooded control center. Shortly thereafter, they were on the move again after Don Mueang flooded and FROC had to get the FROC out.

Shortly after that, we learned that hoarded supplies that FROC had stored at Don Mueang were ruined by the flooding.

Edited by Buchholz

Where is the notification to the public on which areas will be monkey cheeks? Don Mueang will not flood, what about Lamlokka, Pathumtani? Rangsit has already been flooded. Why can not the government tell the people what the plans are? We know the klongs in Lamlokka and Klong Luang have not been dredged or cleaned, is this area to become a monkey cheek?

Suhkothai has just been nominated as a monkey cheek area. The government flood plans are going swimmingly.

edit: Apparently they are deciding whether to make Ayutthaya a monkey cheek area in the next day or two.

Ayutthaya this afternoon:

Ok let say don muang will be safe what about the surrounding ? I live behind the airport and after few month renovation of my house I just wonder if it will happen again ... Maybe time to leave for good this country who really cannot handle anything so far.

Or maybe time to move to somewhere that isn't in the flood path?

Ok let say don muang will be safe what about the surrounding ? I live behind the airport and after few month renovation of my house I just wonder if it will happen again ... Maybe time to leave for good this country who really cannot handle anything so far.

I hope we all stay dry this year. But, Rangsit and LamLukKa will be readily, and deliberately, flooded again to keep Bangkok dry. This government couldn't give a hoot about the country, its citizens or telling the truth. Many of my Thai friends who were flooded for several weeks in Pathumthani are still waiting to receive the government's generous compensation. If it comes to it, the same areas will be sacrificed again without any thought so that the "leaders and hisos" are not inconvenienced in any way. Their only concern will be to maximise another opportunity for scamming.

This is what Bangkok needs to take care of the flooding problems.

I am not much of a pump guy, but when I saw this engine, I got a woodie.

World’s largest water pump moves 150,000 gallons per second

left_cap.jpg Posted on May 11th, 2011 by Jake Adams right_cap.jpg7 Comments

largest-water-pump-2.jpg

The world’s largest water pump is not just a big mag drive with a huge sticker price, it also plans to be a safeguard against rising floodwater in New Orleans. At $500 million for the entire installation, the impeller on this giant flood pump alone probably costs more than your entire LFS and it is taking over four years to build. The image above of the part dwarfing the truck is just the diesel engine that will power the massive water pumping device. A particularly attractive feature of this Kraken sized pump is automatic sweepers that keep the intake strainer clean of debris; you know like the trees, shingle and small cars that get sucked in when there’s a flood.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2011/05/11/wolds-largest-water-pump-moves-150000-gallons/#ixzz269GzOaBM

• Like 1

Acting Flying Officer Anirut Thanomkulbutra, president of Airports of Thailand (AoT), said the agency is working closely with the Royal Thai Air Force to build flood prevention barriers around the airport.

Here are the solutions. But they only work together. One is an Israeli concentration camp that- of course- doesn't exist.

The other one is a guy who gives hope to those who never found what they were looking for.

And the third solution might be the Lord Buddha himself.

Acting Flying Officer Anirut Thanomkulbutra sucked all away.

Let's combine them all and drink a beer and there won't be a problem---laugh.png

post-108180-0-76304100-1347370661_thumb.

post-108180-0-67992300-1347370780_thumb.

post-108180-0-47834700-1347370946_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

I live on Pahonyothin Rd just behind Don Meuang Airport. We had 1.5m of water inside our home for two months last year. We lost a lot of stuff.

My wife refused to replace furniture, saying that we would be flooded again this year. Looks like she's right!!!

Maybe I should rent her out to the government biggrin.png

Or maybe time to move to somewhere that isn't in the flood path?

I was wondering the same thing. I

In fact move Bangkok to a place not in the way and it would eliminate a lot of problems.

Makes no difference if it floods this year or next year Bangkok is still sinking and will have to move eventually. Or they could ask the Dutch for some help.

Edited by hellodolly

I live on Pahonyothin Rd just behind Don Meuang Airport. We had 1.5m of water inside our home for two months last year. We lost a lot of stuff.

My wife refused to replace furniture, saying that we would be flooded again this year. Looks like she's right!!!

Maybe I should rent her out to the government biggrin.png

Well the one thing you could be sure of is she couldn't do as bad a job of it as they do.

largest-water-pump-2.jpg

The world’s largest water pump is not just a big mag drive with a huge sticker price, it also plans to be a safeguard against rising floodwater in New Orleans. At $500 million for the entire installation, the impeller on this giant flood pump alone probably costs more than your entire LFS and it is taking over four years to build. The image above of the part dwarfing the truck is just the diesel engine that will power the massive water pumping device. A particularly attractive feature of this Kraken sized pump is automatic sweepers that keep the intake strainer clean of debris; you know like the trees, shingle and small cars that get sucked in when there’s a flood.

Read more: http://reefbuilders..../#ixzz269GzOaBM

500 Million USD. This might actually happen in Thailand, lots of graft in it for sure.

... build flood prevention barriers around the airport.

Construction will be completed later this month ...

Already 12 now, water slowly and gracefully flowing towards the sea. Don't panic.

Those airline companies which had to move to DM might be a wee bit p_ssed if they have to move for the umpteenth time.

largest-water-pump-2.jpg

Read more: http://reefbuilders..../#ixzz269GzOaBM

500 Million USD. This might actually happen in Thailand, lots of graft in it for sure.

It beats the hell out of a bunch of bomb scanners that never worked. Of course you are right there would be graft involved, there is with everything.