I Failed My Driving Test Today

UKJASE

i passed the practical bits on the motorbike yesterday, but today i sat the theory test......

now maybe i am a sore loser, but some of the questions did not seem to translate very well into english, and so the result was that more than one of the choices could have been right.... and i am sure i got asked the same question twice, and the answer was different on either occasion...... but anyway.....

i failed it twice, and was not allowed to try again until tomorrow..... i will be there first thing, and everyday until i pass, or i reach the limit of 90 days' worth of attempts (the Thai road system loves a trier!)

but, i was wondering if anyone new of a good resource so i can brush up on my thai road signs and highway code...... i had to sit through 4 hours of videos and chit chat in the classroom yesterday, but unfortunately my thai language skills are worse than my driving....

anyone done this test? any tips guys??

I flashed my Ozzie license down stairs, went up stairs, looked at some colour lights and called out each one....including some purple ones not even there, got a photo, got the card, paid the money and was down stairs again all in 20 minutes.

Now, wat this test yo talkin' bout boy???

• Like 2

You are right that the answers can be interpreted differently, and I agree at least one of their right answers on my test was clearly wrong. I managed to get through it, and the ones I got wrong I disagreed with.

You will get it next time, just try to memorize the ones that turn out different then you expected.

Edited by canuckamuck

As my international license had expired at the time I did the written test nearly 20 years ago and had the same observations then. The translation was very poor which made it hard to understand some of the questions, and as you say more than one of the answers could be correct. I did get through it though, maybe more through good luck than anything else. Interesting to see that it has not been improved in all of that time.

Good luck with it next time.

I had three goes before I passed, The translation was terrible with more than one correct answer (multiple choice), no correct answer and what I believed to be the correct answer being wrong. In the end they sat with me and told me the right answers to the above scenarios as it was geting late and they wanted to get home....Hilarious. Worst was my wife at the time did it at the same time and passed afterme telling her to take her time and try hard, good luck etc. Most embarrasing.

Looks like I am the same as many others. Had to do computer/theory test 3 times.

One of the multi-choice answers was so stupid so I would never have got it.

This was: When do you not drive a motor vehicle?

Answers: Forget two of them but one was' After you have had a drink' (did not say alcoholic drink but I presumed that is what they meant) The other answer was 'If you think you are going to have a heart attack)

I went for what i thought was logical 'After you have had a drink' but wrong it was 'If you think you are going to have a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!

There again if you see how most Tha people drive then you should not drive as they will certainly do their best to give you a heart attack by the way they drive.

Not surprised you passed the practical - that is even more of a joke.

Looks like I am the same as many others. Had to do computer/theory test 3 times.

One of the multi-choice answers was so stupid so I would never have got it.

This was: When do you not drive a motor vehicle?

Answers: Forget two of them but one was' After you have had a drink' (did not say alcoholic drink but I presumed that is what they meant) The other answer was 'If you think you are going to have a heart attack)

I went for what i thought was logical 'After you have had a drink' but wrong it was 'If you think you are going to have a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!

There again if you see how most Tha people drive then you should not drive as they will certainly do their best to give you a heart attack by the way they drive.

Not surprised you passed the practical - that is even more of a joke.

That is hilarious...but of no real surprise.

Are you allowed to put your hand up and ask questions during the exam ?

At the Pattaya testing center, they give you all the signs and regulations in a bound folder in English for review if you fail the computer Q&A test also the computer results tells you which questions were not answered correctly - try asking if they have one where you're located. First time I only got 23 questions correct, after a reading got 29/30

Edited by simple1

For my driving test, all I did was sit in a chair, there was a pedal infront of me. The lady said press it before the light goes red. I stuffed it up on the first go because I had no idea what was going on.

Then after that I got a box and had to line up 2 sticks with this controller parallel that was about 10 meters away.

It was fun, but I was thinking <deleted> was that all about lol

I never had to take a written or driving test.

I am guesing the OP does not have a valid or current license from another country so has to go through the whole process. I had to do this in the ealy 90's as at that time my license from my home country had expired and I had not been back to renew it. Hence I had to go and do all the driving and written tests as well and it sounds that the process has not improved at all since that time.

I passed mine on the first shot. The questions were terrible. It took me about 15 minutes to do the test. I answered the same question three times in the course of the computerized test. Maybe I was just lucky. Just keep taking it. Eventually you will pass. Most people I know failed a few times before passing.

The green/red light brake test, colour recognition and depth perception tests are standard if you already have a valid license from another country or are re-newing your Thai license. The classroom, theory and practical exams are only if you don't have any current license and are therefore starting from zero.

For my driving test, all I did was sit in a chair, there was a pedal infront of me. The lady said press it before the light goes red. I stuffed it up on the first go because I had no idea what was going on.

Then after that I got a box and had to line up 2 sticks with this controller parallel that was about 10 meters away.

It was fun, but I was thinking <deleted> was that all about lol

Yep same here, and the depth perception test with the posts is worthless no one tries to line up the front of your car with the rear end of another like that, it requires a side view not head on view..

My 5 year renewal I was already for the tests and this time the frigging reaction test couldn't read my reactions it was too quick for the poxy slow machine, the guy had to reset it twice as it wouldn't register even though he tried himself and since everyone in the room could clearly see I was pushing it he finally just said ok you passed.. Almost failed due to being too quick?? <deleted> huh.png

Edited by WarpSpeed

You only have to get about 3/4 right. Try to think like a Thai when the question is confusing, and accept that at least one question will have no correct answer. I passed my computerized test for motorbike with six wrong answers, and they sent me back in to take basically the same test again for my auto license. The second time around, I had seven wrong answers. Still passed.

I think most offices have a biligual study guide available for you to refresh your memory just before the test.

That helps a lot.

I managed to pass first time. This was due to living in Thailand for a few years and being a teacher. First, the living in Thailand part helped because you soon realise you need eyes everywhere plus their is no real rules of the road. Second being a teacher. I spent time teaching kids about where nouns, pronouns, personnal pronouns, tenses and verbs. Ususally it is arse-way round when I get their answers...........this is similar to the test questions. Their questions are structured wrongly and true, there are sometimes a question with two possible answers but really read the question, break it down, try to think like a Thai and then usually the answer will present itself. If not get drunk and try again and look at everything with a new, new perspective.

why bother taking the test amyway???Half of the thai people dont even have license...Drive carefully and you should be safe...Get stopped by police just pay and go...Simple...

As it's cheap to get a license why expose yourself to paying fines to the police. In any case as said on many threads no license, no insurance. If you do have an accident you will have to pay the injured party as well as go though the great experience of negotiating payment with the police rather than the insurance company sorting things out - enjoy

why bother taking the test amyway???Half of the thai people dont even have license...Drive carefully and you should be safe...Get stopped by police just pay and go...Simple...

Well I hope you do not live near me or ever have an accident or worse kill someone. No licence = no insurance! You should not promote not getting a licence on the forum. True, alot of Thai's do not have a licence but this is Thailand. As a farang using the roads we are more likely to get bum-rushed to jail or kicked-out of this country by just being lazy and breaking the law!