Thailand's Bt120 Billion Anti-Flood Budget Exhausted

webfact

Bt120billion anti-flood budget exhausted

image_20120912115034B8D07B98-0173-FA42-486F9F952BF50DFA.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 12 – The government’s Bt120 billion budget for the country’s massive flood prevention scheme has already been distributed to all state agencies concerned, according Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong.

The concurrent finance minister said the budget was mainly for construction of anti-flood dykes, dredging of canals, flood gate repair and road elevation work.

He said the government has offered low-interest loans, combined with a subsidy at two thirds of the cost, for construction of flood prevention walls at industrial estates severely battered by torrential rains and flash floods last year. The privately-owned industrial estates are mostly in the northern suburbs of Bangkok.

Reporting that construction is almost complete at six industrial estates, he gave assurances that the “economic zone” inside which the industrial estates are located will be flood free this year.

On the mammoth investment of Bt350 billion budget for long-term flood prevention, the finance minister said the government is assessing proposals for various projects from the private sector, both domestic and international, after which concessions will be awarded. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-12

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would

And now it starts.

The money has gone, but where did it all go? Any tangible evidence out there anywhere of what the 120 billion actually built?

They would have fixed the cracks in the walls at Sukhothai and avoided the flooding....if only they hadn't run out of money!!

• Like 2

120 Billion all gone. Geeze. And still I cant really see much has changed except a few craptastically built "dams"....more like small, flimsy, thin concrete walls.

Then in addition I always read that the flood tests (however they are testing it) are failing all the time.

If last year's floods repeat this year the government cant stay in office....theoretically only of course.

Last week I drive along Klong 1,2,3,4& 5 ans klong Rangsit. From the Lamlook road to Ratipat Canal, There was no indication thet there had been any maintenance of the canals, they had not been dredged, they has large amounts of trash, trees and water plants. I live next to klong 3 in Lamlokka district, the banks of the canal have colapsed into the canal. Where OH Where, Oh Where, did the money go?

To put this in perspective of USD, Bt120bn = 3.86 billion USD. If there were 1,000 projects in each of the four categories described in the article, which I seriously doubt, that would be almost one million dollars per project. Here little piggies come to the trough.

• Like 2

It does not say that the money is exhausted, it says that it has been distributed to the various State Agencies. Whether or not these Agenices have yet spent all their allocated funds is yet to be seen. It appears that there is still work in progress and funds yet to be spent as some State Agencies are behind on the flood prevention works.

yes, yes, yes, if only people would read more than just the headline. Particularly posts #2, #6 and #14

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

It does not say that the money is exhausted, it says that it has been distributed to the various State Agencies. Whether or not these Agenices have yet spent all their allocated funds is yet to be seen. It appears that there is still work in progress and funds yet to be spent as some State Agencies are behind on the flood prevention works.

Yes, well done. A voice of reason out of a chorus of naysayers bearing sticks to beat the government with - do you not get bored saying the same things in slightly different ways?

No because we know you will come along and relieve our boredom and try to stick a stick in our eye.

And now it starts.

The money has gone, but where did it all go? Any tangible evidence out there anywhere of what the 120 billion actually built?

Very little. The klongs are still full of silt and garbage, I haven't seen any new canals or drainage systems, most of the industrial estates haven't finished their preparations.... mind you, these are all being done privately. So what has the government done? Set aside x number of farmers land for inundation as part of the new catchment areas. As far as I know many of the farmers don't even know whether they have been included. Has anyone seen a map? There has to be one. Perhaps the money was used to buy this land from the farmers, but some how I don't think so.

The flood simulation drainage tests had to be abandoned because....well, while the drainage part of the tests didn't work, the flooding part did.

One of my staff says the water is nearly at her house in Ayudhya again. I jokingly said doesn't flood to a certain extent everywhere? She said no, other than last year this is as bad as she can remember in recent years.

• Like 1

Deputy permanent secretary Pracha Terat from the Interior Ministry had something to say about this only five months ago.

"He claimed that certain "middlemen", allegedly high-ranking officials at provincial authorities, tried to secure projects in exchange for a 35-per-cent commission. So far, a budget of Bt120 billion has been approved for the projects."

And our PM promised

"Meanwhile, PM Yingluck Shinawatra said she would go on a nationwide inspection tour later this month to check on the progress of flood-prevention projects, many of which are believed to be behind schedule. "Projects in headwater areas in the North that need to be completed first have been especially slow because of the red tape," she said. "Completed projects are being audited and evaluated by universities and their reports will be released soon.""

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry5287279

Yes, well done. A voice of reason out of a chorus of naysayers bearing sticks to beat the government with - do you not get bored saying the same things in slightly different ways?

Estrada makes a valid point. The OP article basically says those funds have been allocated out from the central govt. to various departments/agencies.... It doesn't say all those funds have been spent (for buying new Mercedes and other important flood control projects).

That said, like others, in traveling and looking around, it's hard to find any evidence that much of anything has been done substantial in terms of new public works projects aimed at preventing future flooding.

Sadly, most of the funds probably have gone where most of us expect they have gone...and that has little or nothing to do with preventing flooding.

• Like 1

TV's own caption.

Will argue that point I think.

Thailand's Bt120 Billion Anti-Flood Budget Exhausted.

Yes!

"Projects in headwater areas in the North that need to be completed first have been especially slow because of the red tape," she said

That is, they couldn't agree on how much % they wanted to skim off the top to award the contract in the first place.

Edited by Tatsujin

The usual suspects here are already beating the drums against the govt before there is any evidence in. They say that nothing has been done in their neighbourhood and infer that the same must be true across the country. I recently saw a piece on TV (BBC I think) showing sturdy-looking flood barriers being installed in key locations such as around industrial estates. Of course, it would be equally erroneous of me to assume the same good work is being done in other parts of the country that need it. But let's give things a chance. So many people here want to trash the play before the actors have even taken the stage...

Look, floods are inevitable. Bangkok is on a flood-plane in a monsoonal zone. This is what happens. Could be worse... could be Dhaka. And last year was an aberration... rainfall more than 300% above average. Not that it can't happen again. But people here seem to be ready to blame the government unless every part of the country stays bone-dry. Good luck with that...

No way has over 4 BN USD gone anywhere near repair and defense work, I would say that 10% is pushing it, we all know it has worked its way into a selection of offshore bank accounts. The Thai people may be stupid enough to swallow this crap, but we farangs are a little bit wiser. Even the USA could have trouble spending that amount on flood defenses in a short time like this.

I am waiting for the time when the Thais wake up to this bunch of idiots and rise up into the streets where the millitary will take prompt action and install their next choise government which they have done on 18 occasions in the past... Or maybe history doesn't repeat....lol

If BKK floods again like it did last year, then I am afraid history may well repeat.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

The usual suspects here are already beating the drums against the govt before there is any evidence in. They say that nothing has been done in their neighbourhood and infer that the same must be true across the country. I recently saw a piece on TV (BBC I think) showing sturdy-looking flood barriers being installed in key locations such as around industrial estates. Of course, it would be equally erroneous of me to assume the same good work is being done in other parts of the country that need it. But let's give things a chance. So many people here want to trash the play before the actors have even taken the stage...

Look, floods are inevitable. Bangkok is on a flood-plane in a monsoonal zone. This is what happens. Could be worse... could be Dhaka. And last year was an aberration... rainfall more than 300% above average. Not that it can't happen again. But people here seem to be ready to blame the government unless every part of the country stays bone-dry. Good luck with that...

The key here is "showing sturdy-looking flood barriers being installed in key locations such as around industrial estates."

flood barriers not finished

post-58-0-77041300-1347433574_thumb.jpg

New in Thailand, he? What I say, concrete Island for Toyota, Honda and other, and next time, when the heavy raining come again, more water for the people. Take your home in Ayutthaya, but don't forget buoyancy aid...cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

And now it starts.

Are you kidding? That's not enough money to spread around!

I wonder what it will take Thailand to get beyond this massive corruption? Not to say that corruption doesn't exist everywhere but what system does the Western countries use to avoid such massive turmoil? The construction standards are very frightening here I'm scared to invite my family here for my wedding or anything for that matter.