Friendship.

CanadianChicken

How old are you?

I'm only 24 so I'm pretty young in comparison to most people on the forum also.

One of the main problem with Thailand for me is the micro friendships... They never last etc. But I have started attending a few things which seem pretty cool and have met a few people from there. Depending on your age, I could send you a PM with details etc.

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you ask how to make friends amongst a bunch of strangers........from........... a bunch of strangers on an anonymous internet forum.

Good choice.

Gotta start somewhere, never understand this " you cant make friends on the internet" met my wife there almost 7 yrs ago.

I'm 64 and I'll admit that I envy you.I would change places with you in a heart beat.You have a good chance of making something out of your time here if you play it right.Now for my suggestions.Try to meet some Thais that are seriously trying to learn English and western culture.They love to learn and practice.Learn to speak slow and not run your words together, you will just confuse them.You can learn alot from each other.The same goes for older expats.Throw a sir at them for respect.Talk a little louder, they may have a hard time understanding you.You seem to be a good young man and I wish you well.Everyone has to start somewhere.Good luck. PS A girlfriend wouldn' hurt.

Us 'boomers' had it pretty easy, I don't think you quite understand how much harder things have become for youngsters these days.

• Like 1

As you can see Thaivisa has more than it's fair share of bitter, uncivilised, impolite detritus. Send me a PM with some basic info about yourself and I'd be happy to meet you for a beer sometime (I'm 28, and I first arrived here when I was 18 without any friends).

About 6 years ago I went along to one of the first ever Thaivisa meetups, where I was in a minority due to my age. I met a handful of really nice people, but even face to face some of the guys there had a few choice (drunken) things to say to me about being young- apparently something of a crime. It is always fun (although like shooting fish in a barrel) to embarrass such people publicly, because they certainly never expect you to be more mature than they are and it's usually easy to show that you are.

Now that I've lived here longer than most old guys I meet, speak the language better than most of them, etc, it no longer bothers me. Very occasionally, you can meet real gentlemen, older characters who have interesting experience and stories to tell, who recognise their seniority, don't feel threatened by you and recognise that they too were once young. Rather than embarrass themselves by trying to drunkenly belittle or better you (which is what is happening with most of the replies to your thread here, and you will experience that in bangkok pubs regularly) such guys are a joy to meet and I always have huge respect for them. Unfortunately you are unlikely to meet anyone like that either online or in bars. Very rare.

Yep, me, as an older guy agree, perhaps cos my heart is young, thats why l am a loner. thumbsup.gif

I'm 64 and I'll admit that I envy you.I would change places with you in a heart beat.You have a good chance of making something out of your time here if you play it right.Now for my suggestions.Try to meet some Thais that are seriously trying to learn English and western culture.They love to learn and practice.Learn to speak slow and not run your words together, you will just confuse them.You can learn alot from each other.The same goes for older expats.Throw a sir at them for respect.Talk a little louder, they may have a hard time understanding you.You seem to be a good young man and I wish you well.Everyone has to start somewhere.Good luck. PS A girlfriend wouldn' hurt.

Us 'boomers' had it pretty easy, I don't think you quite understand how much harder things have become for youngsters these days.

I don't know how we survived. No TV. No computers, no seat belts, no bike helmets and hockey players didn't wear face masks. No bottled water or organic vegetables and DDT everywhere!

Your Question is How does a young guy find Friends in Thailand. With me My first 3 nights(and days) were spent in Nana Guest House /Complex and the Girls treated me like a long lost Friend . Met an English Guy asleep on the footpath and have been mates ever since so you never know when a friend will turn up. Keep looking and one day it may happen for you. I,d ditch the Muai Thai and start on a Beer Belly.

You had spacehoppers though.

I hate to date myself but I was in the Army in Thailand when spacehoppers came out.

That must have been fun.

It was. I think more fun than hopping on a rubber ball. Although I can see the similarities. That odd habit of ladies wearing black shorts under skirts had not taken hold yet. And Hotel California had not been recorded yet!biggrin.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

dam_n boy, you trying to hard.

You are an 18yo, pretty boy, boxer...according to you.

Hanging out in random bars with crusty old guys is no way to spend time in your new city.

18 and finished school limits your future - go back to school - thats where all the other 18 year olds are at.

What secondary english options are there near bangkok? And im not trying hard, at all. You obviously dont like who i am which i retort in saying dont message in my threads.

Your funny, kid.

If I was 18, I wouldn't be asking a bunch of random Internet guys how to make friends. I'd be out making them.

If I wasn't in school, I'd be skateboarding at Esplanade, dancing at RCA, playing some team sports, learning Thai, exploring the city, taking photographs...all while wearing my baseball cap backwards and wearing my Dr Dre headphones...because that's what 18 year olds do.

...actually, thats pretty much what I do now.

Its great being over 30 and still living at your fullest youth, they see 35 is the new 17 right? RCA, GIRLS and LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION and some nice treks in national parks will keep you occupied. Let me know if you need a friend, most of these idiots on here dont have any so they are just putting you down bud...

That odd habit of ladies wearing black shorts under skirts had not taken hold yet. And Hotel California had not been recorded yet!biggrin.png

So what did they wear under skirts?

You know how people get all excited about short skirts? And the kids follow the ladies with the short skirts around hoping the wind will blow.

It used to be that women wore knickers under short skirts or less depending on the weather but something happened. Some crazy PC fashion statement has caused Thai women to wear lycra shorts meant for excercise or bike riding under short skirts. I for one resent this demonic change to Thai culture. Thai women used to get down and boogie now it's this K pop stuffbah.gif

Edited by chiangmaikelly

So you are 18 and spend your time grocery shopping for your mommy and going to bars and chatting up 60 yo farang men. Here is a hint: you are not what the old geezers are looking for in the bar. Do you think they go out at night thinking: "Golly, hope there are some 18 year old American men at the beer bar tonight." cheesy.gif

Edited by farang000999

Get your parents to pay tuition to any one university here, well one with an English language faculty. Join a Thai university and never look back. You'll make all the friends you want and have lots of prime young Thai females to practice the language with. So much win in other words. In fact, studying in a Thai university is so much win, I'm thinking about going back to school myself at age 30. Don't worry if you think it will be too difficult. It won't.

You had spacehoppers though.

I hate to date myself but I was in the Army in Thailand when spacehoppers came out.

its called masturbation nowadays, and is accepted as a healthy practice.

Picture of a spacehopper for those who don't know.

Ah yes. Much better. This thing has no mastubatory overtones at all.whistling.gif

its called masturbation nowadays, and is accepted as a healthy practice.

Picture of a spacehopper for those who don't know.

Ah yes. Much better. This thing has no mastubatory overtones at all.whistling.gif

Whoa, not at all dude. You need to come back to Thailand. Until you get here take what is listed below.

post-73727-0-32874000-1348205454_thumb.j

• Like 1