Coffee Plantations In Issan

Mobaan

This seems all a bit hush -hush , but something is going on .

There appearently are 2 farms -independent from each other -on the Northern and Southern end of the Phu Foilom mountain range that have planted coffee (Arabica) at low altitudes -new varieties seem to make this possible .

Now the word is out ,that there is a company who will pay for plants , fertilizer etc ( no cost to the growers) in return for a commitment by the farmer to sell all his coffee to them .(Poor farmer -you will be screwed again )

They supposedly are pushing "Robusta" to be planted between the rubber trees -to provide shade-.

What is the deal ? Does anybody know anything about this ? Has anybody heard similar reports ?

This subject has been up before, cobbler says they grow bananas under rubber in his area. I don't see things growing under rubber, unless they grow during the leaf drop, or need light light.

Here's a pic of a mature plantation [ not mine ] not much light. In areas of mine the grass won't grown, it's dark when the canopy is full.

3800781957_72e72ba36f_o.jpg

After seeing in India, lowland, under jungle canopy coffee plantations; as an experiment, I planted some arabica trees in my garden.

Keep in mind we are in Buriram.

Planted one in a shady area and another in the same general area but facing a sunny location.

Trees planted about four years ago.

Both trees are producing, but the one with more light is double the size of its cousin.

This year I actually harvested enough from the bigger tree to roast and produce the first few cups of genuine Buriram Espresso.(Fun)

Pictures attached.

post-14625-0-23362500-1347584917_thumb.j

post-14625-0-05717600-1347584939_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hello All, I ran across this a while back when I got seed from them,

The Banana Tree in PA, USA.

Catura coffee,

"Becoming increasingly popular to coffee growers since it is an excellent

flavored coffee that can be grown in direct sun. It requires no cloud covering,

or tree shading and to many growers it means much more production. We

personally have seen serious efforts being made to produce this variety in

huge quantities in different countries. Height is 3'."I

I Know it's not "the A", but I don't have that many trees for shade on

our place.

rice555

post-37242-0-03794800-1347730983_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

The Mall is involved in a similar deal near Korat.

They sell the small coffee trees and fast growing big trees for the shade. They give advises and promised to buy the beans. But as far as I know The Mall won't pay for anything, the deal of the OP seems to be a better one.

I know a number of farmers that could be interested but as the seeds have never been tested in the area, they will wait for others to try first and will invest later if the first trials are successful.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

Come on guys , I am a coffee grower in the northen area planting all arabica . First of all , you don"t grow coffee trees under rubber trees because there is not enought sunlight ,rubber trees have got shallow root same as the coffee trees . Banana maybe before the rubber trees mature . Buy back program is just something like the rubber buy back program . Thionk with a cool head and we will see . Good Day.

• Like 1