Anyone Used Tiger From Bkk To The Philippines?

MisterBean

I am looking for options to go to the Philippines from BKK. Tiger Airways has the best flight times and price for me but, one thing on their website has me a little confused. None of the other airlines seem to have this requirement. Their website says:

Passengers travelling as tourists

Must have their return flight confirmed (not more than 1 (one) month), and must have an invitation letter/affidavit of support from a sponsor that is dry sealed and duly authenticated by the Philippine Consulate office in a foreign country (original copy).

I tried to call them to inquire about this requirement but gave up after 20 minutes on hold. Has anyone that has used Tiger tell me what their experience was.

Tiger is low cost you'll pay extra for everything it adds up quickly. To/from Clark they watch luggage weight for checked & carry on. These planes are in the Tiger livery however they are operated by Seair a Filipino company. What they are quoting is not accurate on their site. See below link, that is IATA and that is what Tiger check in staff will follow.

Couple of things

-Tiger flies to Clark from BKK, Clark Airport is far from Manila and really a pain given the traffic in Manila is much worse than Bangkok, taxis' buses are also pretty bad.

-Tiger will NOT check you in until you show them proof of a return ticket (unless your Filipino)

-Your Visa on arrival will be for 21 days NOT 30, I've had the system bounce a 30 day return ticket better to stick to 19 or 20 days, if you are going for an extended period of time buy the Round Trip in order to board.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

For me I would pay a little extra and fly Thai (arrival Terminal 1) or Philippine Airlines (arrival terminal 2), Kuwait (arrival terminal 1) and there is always Cebu Pacific (terminal 3). Not to put you off your trip but Manila isn't on the top of my list to visit. I mention terminals because terminal 1 has been voted as the worlds worst. Terminal 2 and 3 are ok.

I have tried Seair/Tiger to Clark and back and they were fine.

No problems when I flew in february.

Some times they do ask for a printed ticket out of PI. Not the other thing you found on their website.

I suppose Visa requirements depend on nationality but most get 21 days without VISA. This can easily be extended in PI. I know of friends staying there for 1 year.

Thanks for your replies.

The Star Alliance website is good, I took a look. I usually use Timatic through Delta

http://www.delta.com...ation/index.jsp

I didn't really believe they would ask for something like that, which is why I tried to call them. When that failed, I figured it would be easier just to get an answer here from someone who has done it, so thanks.

"Passengers travelling as tourists

Must have their return flight confirmed (not more than 1 (one) month), and must have an invitation letter/affidavit of support from a sponsor that is dry sealed and duly authenticated by the Philippine Consulate office in a foreign country (original copy)."

This refers to Filipino's wishing to fly out of the Philippines. The would be traveler needs to get his or her sponsor/ relative/ husband/ whatever in the destination country, Thailand in this case, to go to the PHP embassy in BKK and apply for this sealed letter. There will be a charge for this privileged letter payable at the embassy. Once the letter is granted this will need to be couriered back to the traveler in PHP who will need to present it to check-in and immigration staff at the airport before being allowed to leave the country.

All in all, an inconvenient and extortionate practice, but this is the way of the Philippines.

"Passengers travelling as tourists

Must have their return flight confirmed (not more than 1 (one) month), and must have an invitation letter/affidavit of support from a sponsor that is dry sealed and duly authenticated by the Philippine Consulate office in a foreign country (original copy)."

This refers to Filipino's wishing to fly out of the Philippines. The would be traveler needs to get his or her sponsor/ relative/ husband/ whatever in the destination country, Thailand in this case, to go to the PHP embassy in BKK and apply for this sealed letter. There will be a charge for this privileged letter payable at the embassy. Once the letter is granted this will need to be couriered back to the traveler in PHP who will need to present it to check-in and immigration staff at the airport before being allowed to leave the country.

All in all, an inconvenient and extortionate practice, but this is the way of the Philippines.

I wouldn't be too hard on the Philippine govt. for this practice. They are trying as best they can to discourage private off the books hiring and exploitation of Philippine workers, especially young women.

BTW, I did fly SEA AIR/TIGER to Clark last month. The aircraft were brand new and comfortable and the schedule much better than Cebu's Early AM departures.

Edited by dddave