Thailand's Flood Defenses To Fail Again?

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have they done all year? Simple, devised more hollow political diatribe to justify huge budgets where the majority goes back to the politicians and their 'business' associates, and the Thai people suffer more, and get more taxes added to line the pockets of these criminals. But that's okay - the Reds will keep voting for Miss Yingluck and the puppet master because ignorance is bliss.

Well they received 500 Baht per vote....

Yes - and paid out faster than the promised flood compensation!

I see only negative storys here all the time, I live in Chiang Mai and I see a lot of work has be done on the Ping river,

and I guess in other places also hard work was done, do you ppl ever go out to see what s been done and what not

and if you dont like what happen here, go back if its better in your own country

I love it here and I love the lay back mentality, thats why I am here

Another newbie whose sound advice is to go back to your own country! How orginal.

• Like 1

I see only negative storys here all the time, I live in Chiang Mai and I see a lot of work has be done on the Ping river,

and I guess in other places also hard work was done, do you ppl ever go out to see what s been done and what not

and if you dont like what happen here, go back if its better in your own country

Still on your honeymoon huh? If you still haven't seen the incompetence that takes place here it shouldn't take too long with a little bit of observation and intelligence. My driveway is full of water and very little if anything useful has been done in this area. Should I be positive about this. My wife and I pay taxes. Should I be smile and be happy that 120 baht went to line corupt pockets. That "lay back mentality" is nice in a lot of ways and destroys in many others. If you have a personal emergency I hope that "lay back mentality" can get something done for you. Does this mean I should go back to my own country. No. I still like many things about it and will be staying for a while.

• Like 1

the last time downtown chiangmai really went under it was because the irrigation department sent the water into town by mistake.

Given that last year was the worst weather pattern seen for 50+ years, IMHO if the floods hit the industrial areas again this year, assuming there is average rainfall, then I would look very closely at the changes that have been made since then.

Again, if it does flood they better let the engineers do their job and send the political parties away to do what they do best somewhere far away.

The sun will be up soon and any chances of common sense will have evaporated

• Like 2

Given that last year was the worst weather pattern seen for 50+ years, IMHO if the floods hit the industrial areas again this year, assuming there is average rainfall, then I would look very closely at the changes that have been made since then.

Again, if it does flood they better let the engineers do their job and send the political parties away to do what they do best somewhere far away.

That could be a hard ask. What do politicians do best anywhere?

rolleyes.gif Good point! I like to think of somewhere far away as out of sight, out of mind.

What have they done all year? Simple, devised more hollow political diatribe to justify huge budgets where the majority goes back to the politicians and their 'business' associates, and the Thai people suffer more, and get more taxes added to line the pockets of these criminals. But that's okay - the Reds will keep voting for Miss Yingluck and the puppet master because ignorance is bliss.

Yingluck sumed it up for me yesterday when she taken a helicopter at something like 12 noon if she really cared about her people she would have flown frist thing in the morning not 12 noon and anybody one with a brain can work that out for themslaves ..

Second all there stupid trips she made have not been for the good of the people she just used all the excuses for a shopping trips and also to try and get her brother to beallowed to travel freely without any problems hint why he was given his thai passport back ,, i would think coffee1.gif

Give the lady a break she WAS up at 8am to talk to her Brother

The only changes done is the increase of th MP´s bank accounts.bah.gif

There are some very competent engineers working for the Thai government. Unfortunately, they rarely get to make any major decisions. Those decisions are made by politicians who are usually concerned with their business interests rather than the common good.sad.png

You men people like the S&T MP?cheesy.gif

There are no flood defences nor can there be for any protracted flooding period. When the entire water table rises, there is no place for the water to go. Welcome to the plight of low lying areas. Old Thai houses on 10 foot stilts.... Massive, Netherlands type of dykes is always a possibility but they actively pump out water to keep the low lying areas dry and reach a state of equilibrium. Thailand has decades of deforestation, degraded ground seepage, etc which results in much more surface runoff than before. An example of how man can given enough time, tree by tree, mile by mile can radically damage a large part of a country

Edited by gk10002000

Sorry. I don't see negative storys. I see the true story. But if you don't like it you are free for don't come to thaivisa.

When you be stooped for a cop and you have to pay for a U-turn but Thai are free to do 1000 U-turn. When you feel you are a falang in Thailand you will understand what people is talking about.

I guess you are less than one month in Amazing Thailand. The Land of smile wai.gif

• Like 1

Sorry. I don't see negative storys. I see the true story. But if you don't like it you are free for don't come to thaivisa.

When you be stooped for a cop and you have to pay for a U-turn but Thai are free to do 1000 U-turn. When you feel you are a falang in Thailand you will understand what people is talking about.

I guess you are less than one month in Amazing Thailand. The Land of smile wai.gif

You don't tend to worry about floods if you can put all your current possessions in a backpack.

• Like 1

Another newbie whose sound advice is to go back to your own country! How orginal.

I come here since 2004 and live here long enough

Edited by wimpey1946

You don't tend to worry about floods if you can put all your current possessions in a backpack.

I live here 18 months and come here 10 years

The best is yet to come.

The gates that control one of the rivers that runs through Pabong just outside Chaing Mai has been closed to a point you can walk across the river bed.I assume this is an attempt to reduce the flow to the south but unfortunately this is what happened last year meaning the water is being stored further north. If once again the amount of water stored reaches danger level and has to be released it will be a repeat of 2011. Seeing as many parts are already flooded it could possibly be worse.

The best is yet to come.

The gates that control one of the rivers that runs through Pabong just outside Chaing Mai has been closed to a point you can walk across the river bed.I assume this is an attempt to reduce the flow to the south but unfortunately this is what happened last year meaning the water is being stored further north. If once again the amount of water stored reaches danger level and has to be released it will be a repeat of 2011. Seeing as many parts are already flooded it could possibly be worse.

Flash news just muang chiangmai is flooding? Any details?

The best is yet to come.

The almost worst case scenario is the amount of probematic flood waters equal to the last year's flood minus 7billion cubic meters. If we use published figure for problematic flood waters is 15 billion cubic meters, then we are looking for about 8 billion cubic meters of flood water, assuming flood intensity and duration exactly equal to the 2011 floods.

Wow 18 months in country.. just wait till you have been here 4 years or so. Your still in your honeymoon period.

• Like 2

Does anyone really think anything will change?

This is Thailand the land of corruption we can 'bang on' all we like about this and that! And next year and the year after that we will still be talking about the same thing!

The pollution will still be affecting the North, there will still be unrest in the South, flooding will continue with promises that something is being done about it, the farmers will still be getting 'stiffed', tourists will still be getting 'ripped off' and prices will continue to rise.

The LoS is what it is and it is not going to change (for the better) in the forseeable future.

Thai Flood hit 10 provinces

A total of 10 provinces, out of 77 provinces, mostly in the upper part of the country were hit by flood, Thai authority reported on Saturday morning.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported on Saturday that about 140,000 people from about 53,000 household were affected by floods since the flood started in mid-August.

The 10 provinces are central province of Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Chainat, Suphan Buri, Ang Thong, Ayutthaya, northeastern province of Chaiyaphum, northern province of Lampang and southern province of Ranong.

Continued:

http://www.china.org.cn/environment/2012-09/15/content_26533558.htm

- Xinhua, September 15, 2012

And access to cheap medicine shame the previous administrations didn't care for the health of the poor and still don't

Didn't the Democrats abolish the 30 Baht card,and give the people Access to Medical care for free?.... thought you would have known that!

• Like 1

I totally agree with robblok, sit down on your own someday, clean the lenses on your sunglasses, better again take them off altogether, have a think about what you see and how strangers and other people treat you. The new name you have been given ("farang or falang") upon entering Thailand has many meanings and will be used by most Thai's to both categorize, denigrate and insult you. Don't think that someone smiling at you finds you unique and enthralling, in reality it's often quite the opposite.

I respectfully hope for your sake that the referred to honeymoon period ends very soon so that you can learn to cope with Thailand and what I can only describe as the unique ways and habits of the country and in particular it's people.

Either way I wish you well.

This isn't a point scoring match, but, put down some serious roots in terms 15+ years and then rejoin the conversation.

• Like 1

Now back to the original thread "FLOODS"

I wonder is it time as with last year to start buying sandbags and sheets of plywood again, make sure there is lots of canned food, coffee, UHT milk and not to forget the ever present noodles ?

The media B.S. and offical propaganda and spin will be starting soon or has it started already I wonder.

I must start to make preparations to once again move everything upstairs in East Bangkok, as with west Bangkok we exist out here to save the "heart of Bangkok" or the "centre of the city" from flooding.

I have post tarumatic stress after the last time when I was chased back down the stairs by a washing machine that landed on my back and left me with sore ribs after I slipped w00t.gif. This time I will wear shoes indoors whether she who assumes she is obeyed likes it or not !

At least I have an upstairs to retreat to unlike the millions of ordinary people both Thai's and other nationalities who suffered enormously in the 2011 floods often losing family, property, jobs and just about everything they had amassed during their lifelong and everyday struggle to survive.

Here we go again - miracle year of Thailand, or should I just say amazing Thailand, I must have a look at the undoubtedly factually correct TAT website for the correct and recommended term. rolleyes.gif

Eitherway T.I.T. crying.gif