อดทน

JuniorExPat

Mrs JxP and I were debating the correct English word for this . . . what do you reckon?

อดทน

Thanks in advance

JxP

To bear, to suffer or endure.

Patrick

My wife gave me examples which pretty much agrees with the above.

The examples were...

If you go to work and it is very hard.. you just have to get on with it (endure)

If you have a pain, you have to just bear it

totster :o

Sometimes I tell my wife "อดทนหมดแล้ว" when she gets on my nerves. :o

It's actually better to prefix that phrase with "Kwam" (for some reason I cannot type Thai on this computer at the moment!)

That prefix changes a common Noun into the abstract as in "Kwam Ching" = "truth", "Kwam Reow" = "speed" etc..

So "Kwam ot ton mod laew" means "(my) patience is finished" or "(my) forbearance has reached the limit".

Patrick

P.S. - it seems you married my wife's sister!

:D

Edited by p_brownstone

Sometimes I tell my wife "อดทนหมดแล้ว" when she gets on my nerves. :o

It's actually better to prefix that phrase with "Kwam" (for some reason I cannot type Thai on this computer at the moment!)

That prefix changes a common Noun into the abstract as in "Kwam Ching" = "truth", "Kwam Reow" = "speed" etc..

So "Kwam ot ton mod laew" means "(my) patience is finished" or "(my) forbearance has reached the limit".

Patrick

You're right. Now that I think about it I do believe I use the preceding kwam.

Sometimes I tell my wife "อดทนหมดแล้ว" when she gets on my nerves. :D

Patrick

P.S. - it seems you married my wife's sister!

:D

I'll wait till I've had a couple of beers and then try that phrase on the missus (dutch courage) :o

totster :D