Why Is Hotel California So Wildy Popular Here?

barefoot1988

Because Thailand is like "Hotel California"

On a dark long flight, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of Singha, rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

I had to stop for the night

There she stood in the doorway;

I heard the mission bell

And I was thinking to myself,

"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way

There were voices down the corridor,

I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel Thailand

Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)

Such a lovely face

Plenty of room at the Hotel Thailand

Any time of year (Any time of year)

You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

She got a lot of old fat Farangs she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Madam,

"Please bring me my wine"

She said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"

And still those voices are calling from far away,

Wake you up in the middle of the night

Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel Thailand

Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)

Such a lovely face

They livin' it up at the Hotel Thailand

What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)

Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,

The Leo and Heineken on ice

And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

And in the whore houses,

They gathered for the feast

They grab it with their drunken hands,

But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was

Running for the door

I had to find the passage back

To the place I was before

"Relax, " said the Ma -dam,

"We are programmed to receive.

You can check-out any time you like,

But you can never leave! "

Says it all....

You can check out but you can never leave.........

poor effort. if you were giong to the trouble you could have made more than the few arbitrary changes you did

There are more Thais living in California than any other country outside of Thailand. So they really like hotels in California.

Actually, California is not a country, it's a state, but it does have the highest population of Thais outside LOS.

Are you correcting my grammar or do you think I or anyone else does not know California is not a country? Did you not understand my meaning when you read it the first time?

if it is what you meant, why didn't you state it properly? He was correcting your FACTS, not your grammar. that is beyond help.

Edited by tinfoilhat

I've played in pro level cover bands for over 20 years and never ever played it but after seeing it written on bar napkins over and over again I thought bugger it, if you cant beat em join em but I'm not going to do a hack version.

Rest assured it is neither easy to sing or play on guitar and do properly. The solo took me 5 days at about 15 mins a day, not a walk in the park by any means.

After all that I enjoy playing it loads and the reaction is always great so why not?!

Phil X giving it loads:

Check out 1:06 where he goes off track a little ;)

Walked into a little restaurant for bite to eat with the wife, the sleepy staff jumped to attention and whispered "ooh farrang" to each other. By the time we had sat down they had stopped playing the pleasant Thai background music and had put on ####### Hotel California.

Yup Hotel California, Zombie and Scorpions "Wind Of Change" are the three farang songs most Thais know.

If you find yourself in a Thai karaoke bar chances are you'll be choosing from these three.

I think John Denver's Country Roads trumps them all, if you listen carefully.

If you listen carefully to any of those......... you should get out more!sick.gifsaai.gif

sorry.gif ......... just couldn't resist it!

Another equal favorite…….’Zombie’ by The Cranberries!

Do Thai like zombies….or Cranberries?

Jeez, how much do they love Zombie? Everywhere and they have no idea of the words.

Hotel California is simple lyrics and it's not just Thailand, all over Asia they seem to like it

In my time there was 3 songs with the Carpenters in the Englis posjon ov Songbook:

- I say Goooobay to luv

- top of the Woold

. Pleeze miste posman

And they had the machine to show singing in tune or out of tune on the screen.

I remember I scored 67% in Krungsri River Hotel in Ayutthaya singing "I say goobai to luv" and then took her up to my loom,

Edited by Frank La Rue

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents as a lifetime musician although I have another career also. Have also spoken with Thai musicians about it. There are pretty standard songs expected and or requested at expat / farang places. Some Thai musicians wish they could play different stuff, more progressive music. One Thai guitarist I know confided to me that he learns riffs from the current U2 setlists and plays them alone at home as it gives him inspiration.

Hotel Califormia is a hugely successful song with a catchy tune and riffs, whether you love it or hate it. Most musicians are bored playing it.

Country Roads is another old faithful type song.

Zombie was a huge international hit for the band. Zombie is a great anthem song. Cranberries are from Ireland (as are U2) and this song actually has some hard hitting lyrics, besides a catchy tune that is easy to play. It is hugely popular in Thai pubs also because it conveys feeling and emotion even if they dont understand the words. It's kind of like "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

I am a great fan of U2 but honestly have trouble finding inspiration playing/singing "with or without yo" "one" for the 10,000 th time.

Many expats have a very limited and non developed taste in music, and most of them are over 40.

That is the reason.

Apply that thinking to the bars that ex-pats do not normally frequent, and then do that little bit of in-depth analysis on yourself.

They don´t play hotel california in regular thai bars. And I have a very developed musical taste. So what is your point?

• 4 months later...

i HAVE NEVER STAYED THERE PERSONALLY AND IF THEY KEEP PLAYING IT I WOULD CHECK OUT! Drives crazy, flogged to death.

I am told the Americans brought it with them for their rest and relaxation whilst in Vietnam, maybe they had a deal with the royalties.

Vietnam war ended in 1975. Hotel California recrded first time end of 76 or early 77. Grammy 77,78. So no you are wrong.

It is also one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. The song's guitar solo is ranked 8th on Guitar Magazine's Top 100 Guitar Solos and was voted the best solo of all time by readers of Guitarist magazine.

The album was released in 1973 - I know because I listened to it again and again with the girl I wanted to sleep with and she went off and lost her virginity to someone else. I got to keep Hotel California though.

Edited by Frank La Rue

i HAVE NEVER STAYED THERE PERSONALLY AND IF THEY KEEP PLAYING IT I WOULD CHECK OUT! Drives crazy, flogged to death.

I am told the Americans brought it with them for their rest and relaxation whilst in Vietnam, maybe they had a deal with the royalties.

Vietnam war ended in 1975. Hotel California recrded first time end of 76 or early 77. Grammy 77,78. So no you are wrong.

It is also one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. The song's guitar solo is ranked 8th on Guitar Magazine's Top 100 Guitar Solos and was voted the best solo of all time by readers of Guitarist magazine.

The album was released in 1973 - I know because I listened to it again and again with the girl I wanted to sleep with and she went off and lost her virginity to someone else. I got to keep Hotel California though.

Understandably, you don't remember the release date as well as other details of that experience. They didn't begin recording it until March of '76, and they released it that year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/eagles/biography

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7550143

Understandably, you don't remember the release date as well as other details of that experience. They didn't begin recording it until March of '76, and they released it that year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/eagles/biography

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7550143

FInd the link to Wkipeda here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California

The release date was March 8, 1976 - Man, can love make you blind.

I have to go back and figure out what we were listening to so eagerly autumn 1973, though.

It's funny that this topic is brought up.

I've been living in Pattaya for a while and I have been disgusted with all the cover bands for quite some time now. I wish these guys would break out an original song occasionally.

On the rare occasions when I or my better half is asked by the cover bands if we have a request, we have worked out a strategy that might be messed up, but we think its, (or at least I think it's hilarious)

We yell out Starless and Bible Black. When they inevitably say they don't know that song and ask for another one I yell out Moonage Daydream. When they don't know that one I yell out "five years" just to sort if keep it in the Bowie family. It really gets awkward for the crowd and the band, but it's kind of funny.

To date (aside from the aforementioned) these are the "cover songs" I have blurted out:

Angel of death(Slayer)

Big dumb sex (Soundgarden)

The great deceiver (King Crimson)

South of heaven (Slayer)

In utero (Nirvana)

The door (Keb Mo)

Idiot Prayer (Nick Cave)

Anthem (Rush)

Three Days (Jane's Addiction)

Credit in the straight world (Hole)

"Anything from" (Gary Moore) RIP

Toys in the attic (Aerosmith)

Kings and queens (Aerosmith)

Ice cream man (Van Halen)

Tomorrow (U2)

The Nile song (Pink Floyd)

Book-of-the-Month (Loveage)

Deep Pile Dreams (Ian Brown)

The gravy train (Ian Brown)

Civilized (Henry Rollins Band)

To date, I have not heard any of the songs. But I do hear Hotel California, Freebird and Bark at the moon.

Edited by Charlie Cheap

I've played in pro level cover bands for over 20 years and never ever played it but after seeing it written on bar napkins over and over again I thought bugger it, if you cant beat em join em but I'm not going to do a hack version.

Rest assured it is neither easy to sing or play on guitar and do properly. The solo took me 5 days at about 15 mins a day, not a walk in the park by any means.

After all that I enjoy playing it loads and the reaction is always great so why not?!

Phil X giving it loads:

Check out 1:06 where he goes off track a little http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.png

I thought shameless self-promotion was against the rules on the site.

Over 20 years of "professional" level cover band experience. Isn't that deficiency?

Over 20 years of "professional" level cover band experience. Isn't that deficiency?

And your contribution has been what?

I know you're baiting me into listing every project I've ever done, including live shows but I'm not taking the bait.

The point is, cover bands suck terribly! Especially the ones in the Pattaya area. I don't know why someone would freely admit to playing other people's material, I could never wrap my mind around the fact that cover bands exist. Make up songs that are original and play them. It is that simple.

By the way, since you asked me, what about you, what's your contribution been? Did you play a guitar or a bass back in 1975 for approximately one week, get a blister on your finger and give up because it was "hurting"?

And your contribution has been what?

I know you're baiting me into listing every project I've ever done, including live shows but I'm not taking the bait.

You just did.