Why Is Hotel California So Wildy Popular Here?

barefoot1988

i HAVE NEVER STAYED THERE PERSONALLY AND IF THEY KEEP PLAYING IT I WOULD CHECK OUT! Drives crazy, flogged to death.

I am told the Americans brought it with them for their rest and relaxation whilst in Vietnam, maybe they had a deal with the royalties.

i HAVE NEVER STAYED THERE PERSONALLY AND IF THEY KEEP PLAYING IT I WOULD CHECK OUT! Drives crazy, flogged to death.

I am told the Americans brought it with them for their rest and relaxation whilst in Vietnam, maybe they had a deal with the royalties.

Vietnam war ended in 1975. Hotel California recrded first time end of 76 or early 77. Grammy 77,78. So no you are wrong.

It is also one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. The song's guitar solo is ranked 8th on Guitar Magazine's Top 100 Guitar Solos and was voted the best solo of all time by readers of Guitarist magazine.

Vietnam war ended in 1975. Hotel California recrded first time end of 76 or early 77. Grammy 77,78. So no you are wrong.

It is also one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. The song's guitar solo is ranked 8th on Guitar Magazine's Top 100 Guitar Solos and was voted the best solo of all time by readers of Guitarist magazine.

Covered to death here to the point of annoying but there's no doubt it is an amazingly well arranged song and defo one of the best solos cause it just fits.

Because it is a great song - but I have heard it a few million too many times.

so popular, because it is a song of the good ole days era,

for many of the old fart farangs , living in LOS .

shake em zimmers , and rattle your teeth .clap2.gif

i should know .

Even us younger farts can appreciate some of the later versions such as this club mixsmile.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFINwy0qYmM

Gee, I like club mixes usually but that is awful! The first 58 seconds sound exactly like an antique pump engine we used to fire up on special occasions on the farm. Gotta listen to it again though, those first 58 seconds at least, for the memories........

Yup Hotel California, Zombie and Scorpions "Wind Of Change" are the three farang songs most Thais know.

If you find yourself in a Thai karaoke bar chances are you'll be choosing from these three.

I think John Denver's Country Roads trumps them all, if you listen carefully.

Yep havnt lived til you've heard Cuntwy Woads..........amazing !, all the above songs were being played one night when I was camping in the mountains on one of my first trips to Thailand, singing around a bonfire with BBQ, great night !

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

i should know .

Even us younger farts can appreciate some of the later versions such as this club mixsmile.png

Gee, I like club mixes usually but that is awful! The first 58 seconds sound exactly like an antique pump engine we used to fire up on special occasions on the farm. Gotta listen to it again though, those first 58 seconds at least, for the memories........

It sounds better with three scantily clad girls gyrating around your bodybiggrin.png

Not only here...

You can still listen to it on all the 70's trail from Istanbul, Pudding Shop -via Kathmandu- 'till Bali, Kuta beach

Must be the most played tune around campfires on those auspicious times...

In competition maybe with "

" ?!?

Exactly - it's become like the backpacker anthem - can't count how many times I have heard it played in Thamel(Kathmandu's version of Khaosan) or Paharganj in Delhi - also 'Waiting in Vain' or dam_n near any of Bob Marley's more popular songs. I think it's also a requirement that every taxi in Kathmandu has a Bob Marley sticker somewhere.

i should know .

Thai classic cover.

Yep, it's played to death in LOS. But hearing it over and over again, it did give me some grist in responding to the off-the-shelf questions asked by bar girls in BKK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc: "Where you come from"...My response: "I come from my mother"..."What hotel you stay?"...My response: "Hotel California"...Fact is, I am a 3rd generation California native, and I did in fact come from the womb of my mother, so I am not lying to these lasses of the night...

More seriously, songs by the Eagles tend to played a lot in general, "Take it Easy" is also another over-played song. I think it's the lyrics and the "L.A. Country Rock" feel of these songs that attract the Thais. These tunes are also played a lot in farang bars in Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai. Other American groups whose oldies get a played a lot include Queen ("We Will Rock You"; "We are the Champions"), "I Love Rock n' Roll", etc...Gotta admit though, these are truly classic songs that are worth hearing again and again and far better than most of the modern Hip Hop/Rap crap.

There are more Thais living in California than any other country outside of Thailand. So they really like hotels in California.

Actually, California is not a country, it's a state, but it does have the highest population of Thais outside LOS.

There are more Thais living in California than any other country outside of Thailand. So they really like hotels in California.

Actually, California is not a country, it's a state, but it does have the highest population of Thais outside LOS.

Are you correcting my grammar or do you think I or anyone else does not know California is not a country? Did you not understand my meaning when you read it the first time?

More seriously, songs by the Eagles tend to played a lot in general, "Take it Easy" is also another over-played song. I think it's the lyrics and the "L.A. Country Rock" feel of these songs that attract the Thais. These tunes are also played a lot in farang bars in Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai. Other American groups whose oldies get a played a lot include Queen ("We Will Rock You"; "We are the Champions"), "I Love Rock n' Roll", etc...Gotta admit though, these are truly classic songs that are worth hearing again and again and far better than most of the modern Hip Hop/Rap crap.

I agree with that but 'Queen' are/were Brits are they not?

I agree with that but 'Queen' are/were Brits are they not?

Freddie was born in Zanzibar and moved to the UK in has teens, allegedly the first Asian rock star.

Edited by TommoPhysicist