Christmas Day With My Kids In Bangkok

peter888

Hi all

I'm bringing my two daughters, aged 10 and 12, to Thailand in December.

It will be their first trip overseas. I've been to Thailand a few times as a solo traveler and I speak basic Thai.

We have a week up north, then we fly into Bangkok late morning Christmas Day.

I'd love to find some gathering or activity to make my daughters feel like they are having a real Christmas.

It doesn't have to be big or elaborate, just friendly, and ideally there would be other kids involved.

I'd welcome any tips of suggestions.

Thanks

Pete

You mean like snow and deer ? What is a real Christmass ? A fat guy in a suit or the birth of Jesus ? ....... I think you better plan on explaining how Santa gets around in a tropical climate more than worring about finding a Christmass party , my guess is your kids are going to find a whole new understanding of Christmass when they realise that it's all about selling stuff be it the USA or Thailand but it will be pretty obvious when they realise even Buddhists buy Christmass presents sometimes !

Well my point was after this christmass they will absolutely be over santa and it will be hard to hide the fact that is a commercial holiday more than a religous one ...... They will plainly see that while it might not be about money for you it's about money for a lot of people. They do have Santa's at malls and the like but I don't really know where you might find a party like you are looking for.

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything but just to get you to think about what will likely be a whole new view of it on their part ..... If I were you when the questions start coming I would just tell them the truth that it was a pagan holiday and the christans wanted to stamp out Pagans so they made it the 25 of december when according to the bible the things that were going on are done in august not december ...... and the whole story about rudolph and santa was made up by Macy's department store to get customers to come to their store and buy stuff. ........ they will find out eventually anyhow

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here but I can promise you they will question everything they thought they knew because it will just be obvious that it's not exactly what they thought and you will be happy to have considered that for a while before you get put on the spot with their questions.

Edited by MrRealDeal

Thanks LennyW, I will keep any eye out for events at hotels ... not sure where we are staying yet.

MrRealDeal, I agree with most of what you say. I'm not some raving Christmas-obsessed nut.

I've been on the road at Christmas, alone, a few times and it's not a big deal.

But kids are different. They'll be a long way from home and I just want them to have something nice to mark the day.

Thats cool ..... like the other poster said you can find Christmass Parties at some Hotels ....... You will find the xmass spirit alvie and well in bangkok ..... waitress's and salespeople wearing red hats and the like is a common site even in bangkok ..... trees at all the malls and so on.

Hi Peter888,

Don't let yourself be discouraged by some of the replies here. If Christmas means something to you and your kids, then it's entirely up to you how you want to celebrate this special day.

As one poster said most of the better hotels will have something on their program, and I'm sure some of the malls will have specials too.

Just hope you don't get bored with hearing " Jingle Bells " everywhere you go tongue.png.

Maybe re-post on the Bangkok forum for more detailed info.

Enjoy your holiday !!!

Yermanee wai.gif

Hi, perhaps Siam Paragon would have some xmas thing on. At least there is heaps of stuff in that place for kids like the ocean world and cinemas. A shopping centre like that think of these things at xmas time. Its marketing.

Well my point was after this christmass they will absolutely be over santa and it will be hard to hide the fact that is a commercial holiday more than a religous one ...... They will plainly see that while it might not be about money for you it's about money for a lot of people. They do have Santa's at malls and the like but I don't really know where you might find a party like you are looking for.

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything but just to get you to think about what will likely be a whole new view of it on their part ..... If I were you when the questions start coming I would just tell them the truth that it was a pagan holiday and the christans wanted to stamp out Pagans so they made it the 25 of december when according to the bible the things that were going on are done in august not december ...... and the whole story about rudolph and santa was made up by Macy's department store to get customers to come to their store and buy stuff. ........ they will find out eventually anyhow

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here but I can promise you they will question everything they thought they knew because it will just be obvious that it's not exactly what they thought and you will be happy to have considered that for a while before you get put on the spot with their questions.

ITS FOR THE KIDS. Glad you wernt my dad. Grinch.

Seriously...... What have you been smoking....

I think the guy just asked how to enjoy christmas day in Bangkok. What you are spouting on about is anyones guess.....

• Like 1

The big hotels usually have christmas lunches etc. some with partys, i know the Hard Rock here in Pattaya has entertainment for kids on christmas day, maybe think along these lines.

I took my family to the Shangri-la down by the river a couple of times, back in the day. Or another hotel who's name momentarily eludes me, directly opposte, that gives you a nice trip across the river. THere's plenty of alternatives round there, if you want to shop round to get the best deal. Its not very christmassy in terms of snow and sleet, but if you're from Australia or NZ or South Africa, you might not be expecting that, anyway

SC

Life isn't measured by the breathes we take, rather the moments that take our breath away...........let the kids enjoy it before they read posts like that.

OP-Dad lots of fun stuff & meals around town-last year I noticed the lunch menus in some of the 5 star hotels were published in early November. As we get closer you'll see some topics about Xmas lunches pop up to give you a better idea.

Agreeing with cmbe above.

We visited Central World last year and it was as shown on the YouTube.

post-104736-0-30304400-1347830007_thumb.

Many of the minor Shopping Centres have some sort of display.

The displays last past Christmas Day and hopefully you can divorce the Christmas Spirit from the Shopping experience.

We were even lucky to experinence this last year ...

BTS walkway near Siam (walking to Central World)

post-104736-0-26172700-1347830316_thumb.

If you wish to do a small tree, they are not expensive to buy and the decorations are easily available on TESCO etc. Really weird though in TESCO in a Buddist country and all the check-out chicks are wearing the Santa Hats ... blink.png

(but those Santa hats shown were posted over from Australia).

I really enjoy Christmas in Thailand.

It's with family ... and that's what Christmas is all about ... biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you're after a spiritually uplifting experience that will make your children better Christians and more tolerant, generous, less worldly people, you'll not get that in Bangkok in December except maybe in a church. If you;re after a traditional Christmas, with extravegant generosity, gross over-indulgence, family togetherness, and perhaps a token nod towards religion from a distance, then you'll not find Bangkok lacking.

SC

Com'on SC ... that's a bit harsh isn't it? ^^

I doubt that anything on Christmas Day would provide a 'spiritually uplifting experience that will make your children better Christians'

Personally, I have done the 'soup kitchen equivalent' previously to give the regular volunteers a break to spend time with their loved on that special day.

For me I'm happy that my Christmas is a "traditional Christmas, with extravagant some generosity, gross over-indulgence, family togetherness, and perhaps a token nod towards religion from a distance" ... suits me just fine.

SC, I do get your drift though ...