Bus Crash, Superhighway

MESmith

Saw it this morning during "rush hour". A tour bus heading north had hit a tree next to the superhwy, just north of the outer ring road fly over. The front end was lifted up, crushed against the very large tree. Was one of those fancy painted buses, that local tourists tend to use.

Didn't get more than a glance at it as I headed south - didn't want to cause or get caught up in another crash.

Anyone else see or hear anything?

Sadly this happens way too often in Thailand.

From the high taxes on cars, trucks, and busses for that matter, to the high taxes and cost of fuel, to the fees and fines, It is all about money for anyone who came get a peice of the action and Raod safety is not even a thought.

I am sure the bus will be fixed quickly becasue it doesn't make money just stilling and those hurt, injured or killed will have to fend for themself as always

From the high taxes on cars, trucks, and busses for that matter, to the high taxes and cost of fuel, to the fees and fines, It is all about money for anyone who came get a peice of the action and Raod safety is not even a thought.

I am sure the bus will be fixed quickly becasue it doesn't make money just stilling and those hurt, injured or killed will have to fend for themself as always

Awesome post!

• Like 1

Awesome post!

I guess that means he didn't see or hear anything ?

• Like 2

That bus this morning won't get fixed! Too damaged.

This sort of thing happens all over the world, and especially in the more recently rapidly developing nations of much of asia and south america. The pace of development has outrun the ability to respond with preventative measures towards road safety. However, the flip side might be traffic management a more typical western style, which is heavily regulated. Finding a mid-way point somewhere is perhaps the best method.

I don't think it's all about money. It's about attitudes formed from previous generations, struggling to exist/evolve in the modern world.

These accidents are always sad for those who lose a close one, and usually because the drivers have not driven safely. But they take their lead from who employs them, so it is the owners and managers who should focus on evolving the drivers' attitudes towards their job. I no longer take long overnight trips, bad for the heart with the speeds most of them travel at!

To drive safely requires a change of objective for the driver. It is the employers' responsibility to train their drivers that their job is to look after all those people for the time they're on his bus. Change can only come from the bosses. That is their job, to manage their workers, to help them be productive. Not destructive because they're in seemingly sometimes a constant desire to drive too fast. Help the drivers help themselves.

This sort of thing happens all over the world, and especially in the more recently rapidly developing nations of much of asia and south america. The pace of development has outrun the ability to respond with preventative measures towards road safety. However, the flip side might be traffic management a more typical western style, which is heavily regulated. Finding a mid-way point somewhere is perhaps the best method.

I don't think it's all about money. It's about attitudes formed from previous generations, struggling to exist/evolve in the modern world.

These accidents are always sad for those who lose a close one, and usually because the drivers have not driven safely. But they take their lead from who employs them, so it is the owners and managers who should focus on evolving the drivers' attitudes towards their job. I no longer take long overnight trips, bad for the heart with the speeds most of them travel at!

To drive safely requires a change of objective for the driver. It is the employers' responsibility to train their drivers that their job is to look after all those people for the time they're on his bus. Change can only come from the bosses. That is their job, to manage their workers, to help them be productive. Not destructive because they're in seemingly sometimes a constant desire to drive too fast. Help the drivers help themselves.

Bus accidents do happen "all over the world" but it is the frequency that it happens in Thailand, that is troubling. Poorly trained, drug induced, bus drivers along with absolutely zero traffic enforcement is a recipe for disaster. There are probably 20% of Thai drivers on the road today that don't even have a drivers license, and many more who would have difficulty even passing the drivers test.

+1
  • Like 1

Bus accidents do happen "all over the world" but it is the frequency that it happens in Thailand, that is troubling. Poorly trained, drug induced, bus drivers along with absolutely zero traffic enforcement is a recipe for disaster. There are probably 20% of Thai drivers on the road today that don't even have a drivers license, and many more who would have difficulty even passing the drivers test.

Perhaps it's more frequent over here in thailand because you read and hear about it happening here more frequently. If you were in nepal, india, pakistan, cambodia, vietnam, you'd probably think it more frequent over there.

For all the bad drivers of buses in thailand, there must clearly be many who can't be too bad because they have long careers never having an accident. So, looking for solutions, ask what it is they do right, investigate what it is the bad ones do wrongly, and then implement changes through on-the-job training. And that i maintained before was a job for the bosses of bus companies. And that change only occurs after the attitude has first changed. Focus on people's attitude, it's the start.

And while i perceive the risk to be high, i prefer to go by bus in thailand as few times as i can make possible. I drive my car around thailand from time to time and i see some shocking driving in all fast kinds of vehicles. Not just bus drivers. So, perhaps it's down to a cultural tendency that needs reflecting upon by the people. Fast machines don't seem to mix with the more laidback approach to life typical of more eastern peoples.

I'm always amazed i don't see more accidents than i do. However, in the countries i've mentioned i've seen worse driving, and there are plenty of bus wipe-outs and so on.

I do think at the end of the day we're safer on the roads in thailand than on the street in britain and many other western countries. So it's a mugging there or an auto accident here, take one's pick.

There are probably 20% of Thai drivers on the road today that don't even have a drivers license, and many more who would have difficulty even passing the drivers test.

20%?, not that it makes much of a difference whether they 'pass' or not.

Amazing the driver walked away from it however, as it was quite a smash

Couldn't have been his fault then if he was only walking away. whistling.gif

RIP poor bus, I knew him well.

Perhaps it's more frequent over here in thailand because you read and hear about it happening here more frequently. If you were in nepal, india, pakistan, cambodia, vietnam, you'd probably think it more frequent over there.

For all the bad drivers of buses in thailand, there must clearly be many who can't be too bad because they have long careers never having an accident. So, looking for solutions, ask what it is they do right, investigate what it is the bad ones do wrongly, and then implement changes through on-the-job training. And that i maintained before was a job for the bosses of bus companies. And that change only occurs after the attitude has first changed. Focus on people's attitude, it's the start.

And while i perceive the risk to be high, i prefer to go by bus in thailand as few times as i can make possible. I drive my car around thailand from time to time and i see some shocking driving in all fast kinds of vehicles. Not just bus drivers. So, perhaps it's down to a cultural tendency that needs reflecting upon by the people. Fast machines don't seem to mix with the more laidback approach to life typical of more eastern peoples.

I'm always amazed i don't see more accidents than i do. However, in the countries i've mentioned i've seen worse driving, and there are plenty of bus wipe-outs and so on.

I do think at the end of the day we're safer on the roads in thailand than on the street in britain and many other western countries. So it's a mugging there or an auto accident here, take one's pick.

I would certainly think the "streets in Britain" are far more safer than the streets in Thailand, when it comes to traffic accidents, lol. The Thai Police don't take traffic enforcement serious. I think it would be to everyones benefit if the Thai Police were to establish modern Police Academies and properly train their police officers. It's just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

personally I would prefer my chances with the muggins simply because I drive everywhere when abroad, versus being in a bus that is being 'aimed' along roads in excess of the designated speed limits by someone that has in all probability taken some illegal substance to keep him awake (so that he can do extra runs to make his money up).rolleyes.gif