Are Falang Bars/restaurants Actually Worth The Hassle?

Plucky

Your argument is completely and utterly undermined by the fact that most white folks do NOT regard the term "farang" as offensive or derogatory.

Most 'Uncle toms' were OK with the names they were called too.

Except that farangs are granted a superior position in Thai society and niggers an inferior one in American society. That is of course assuminig that you don't fall into the Farang Kii Nok category.

I would dispute that, white foreigners are looked down on by many Thais. They have no position in Thai society.

Just because most white foreigners in Thailand have no idea about the locals and their language, doesn't make it right.

You are saying that tripe yet are banging on about knowledge of Thai culture? Gimme a break. The only thing that you are a clear expert in is victimhood.

• Like 2

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask a tourist what they ate in Thailand. Better than a bet on the ponies they'll say pad thai.

I sat in a bar/restaurant in khaosan recently and estimated, based on count over time, that the lady across the street with the padthai cart would probably take 9000 baht for the day. Considering her low overheads, she's probably making more profit than most bar owners.

We have a fascist dictator (Phibun) to thank for misappropriating it and calling it Thai (the dish is originally Vietnamese in origin).

• Like 1

You are saying that tripe yet are banging on about knowledge of Thai culture? Gimme a break. The only thing that you are a clear expert in is victimhood.

You and HS make comments on what white people think and are insulted by.

I am not allowed to comment on Thai culture.

Can you explain this racist thinking?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You and HS make comments on what white people think and are insulted by.

I am not allowed to comment on Thai culture.

Can you explain this racist thinking?

I was actually talking about the position of people of European extraction - oh bugger it, farang - in Thai society.

I wasn't talking about your thin skinned paranoia.

Rosa Parks you ain't.

• Like 1

Your argument is completely and utterly undermined by the fact that most white folks do NOT regard the term "farang" as offensive or derogatory.

Most 'Uncle toms' were OK with the names they were called too.

Except that farangs are granted a superior position in Thai society and niggers an inferior one in American society. That is of course assuminig that you don't fall into the Farang Kii Nok category.

I would dispute that, white foreigners are looked down on by many Thais. They have no position in Thai society.

Just because most white foreigners in Thailand have no idea about the locals and their language, doesn't make it right.

Oh stop being such an imbecile.

Do you seriously mean to compare "Uncle Toms", who were brought up to quietly endure racial abuse while more or less at the bottom of the social pecking order and denied even the most basic of human rights with the majority of white folks in Thailand who are indifferent or not offended by the term farang while being routinely fawned over and enjoying elevated status over a whole swathe of Thais ?

Could a black man with a few inches of money rock up in 1950s Alabama and proceed to have sex with the plump young white bargirls while denigrating the locals with impunity as you and your cohorts do here in Thailand?

Are you truly that stupid?

As for being an authority on what white people think, I never claimed to be one. I am, however, a keen observer and, having heard the term "farang" spoken countless times within earshot of white people and witnessed their total indifference to it, I can - with authority - surmise that most white folks don't take offence at the word farang.

Do you seriously mean to compare "Uncle Toms", who were brought up to quietly endure racial abuse while more or less at the bottom of the social pecking order and denied even the most basic of human rights with the majority of white folks in Thailand who are indifferent or not offended by the term farang while being routinely fawned over and enjoying elevated status over a whole swathe of Thais ?

Do you mean denied basic human rights like

1. The right to own land.

2. The right to live with your wife and children without fear of summary deportation.

3. The right to live without reporting to the police every 90 days.

4. The right to own and operate a business.

5. The right to work.

6. The right to enter any establishment without fear of refusal because of the colour of my skin.

If you have other rights in mind, please be specific

Edited by TommoPhysicist

2. The right to live with your wife and children without fear of summary deportation.

5. The right to work.

6. The right to enter any establishment without fear of refusal because of the colour of my skin.

No 6 is your paranoia.

1 to 5 are offered to all Thai citizens, regardless of your 'race'.

1 to 5 are not automatically offered to non-citizens. Equally.

5. The right to work.

No 6 is your paranoia.

Yet in my home country (UK) anyone married to a UK national has all those rights, citizens or not.

(And isn't the recent summit about to change the rules so any Asians may own land in Thailand?)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

5. The right to work.

No I meant the basic human rights like:

1. The right to walk down a street without being lynched

2. The right to stop a white man from raping your daughter

3. Not having to give up one's seat on the bus to a white person.

While you might think this discussion is just a flexing of your somewhat limited intellect, I can assure you it's about as distasteful as comparing your "plight" to that of the Jews in Europe during the 2nd World War.

The fact of the matter is that your BASIC human rights which, incidentally, DO NOT include the right to own land or a business, are unassailable in Thailand.

You're not in constant fear for your life

You're not spat on or beaten by the locals

You are able to work if you obtain a permit

You are able to own and operate a business if you satisfy certain requirements

Shit, if you feel so put upon by the back-breaking oppression you claim to suffer in Thailand, you should book a flight out, chump.

5. The right to work.

No 6 is your paranoia.

Yet in my home country (UK) anyone married to a UK national has all those rights, citizens or not.

(And isn't the recent summit about to change the rules so any Asians may own land in Thailand?)

And I personally agree that spouses of Thai nationals should have those rights too. But that is an immigration question, not a question of race. At present, Thailand discriminates against everyone non-thai equally.

You make your argument sound like one put together my a 16 year old high school student when you mix the principals of immigration law with a misguided segway into race.

As for the AEC 2015 goal of integration, let's wait and see shall we? But even if it goes ahead, how will it be any different to the rights you as a UK national enjoy in the EU, which are over and above non-EU nationals?

Thailand will treat a Malaysian of Chinese extraction the same as a Singaporean of Tamil extraction.

Shit, if you feel so put upon by the back-breaking oppression you claim to suffer in Thailand, you should book a flight out, chump.

When I leave ......

What would you suggest I do with my wife and children?

The UK is the land of milk and honey according to you last post.

You make your argument sound like one put together my a 16 year old high school student when you mix the principals of immigration law with a misguided segway into race.

From a high school in which country?

(so that I will be able to decide if you were being insulting or not)

Albania.

• Like 1

Albania.

Not all that helpful, as I have no idea of the educational levels of schools in Albania.

(Also was the 16 yo student you had in mind on the debating team?)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The UK is the land of milk and honey according to you last post.

Yep, It's a great place to go if you are a foreigner.

Which your wife will be, so she'll rake it in if you read the daily mail. You just need to sit back and watch the dosh roll in.

• Like 1

Albania.

Not all that helpful, as I have no idea of the educational levels of schools in Albania.

I think you just broadly have no idea.

But as always, when given a logical argument to rebutt, you just squib it.

• Like 1

Albania.

I think you just broadly have no idea.

But as always, when given a logical argument to rebutt, you just squib it.

I'm lucky, surrounded by Thai farmers that never went to high-school, that fall over drunk every night.

Five years on the farm, surrounded by that lot, I'm surprised I still have the ability to use a computer.

Please excuse any really strange posts I make today, went out in the mountains to pick mushrooms, found leeches, or rather they found me. Lost quite a lot of blood. Only just managed to stop the bleeding. Little buggers even managed to bite me through my socks.

I'm lucky, surrounded by Thai farmers that never went to high-school, that fall over drunk every night.

Five years on the farm, surrounded by that lot, I'm surprised I still have the ability to use a computer.

Please excuse any really strange posts I make today, went out in the mountains to pick mushrooms, found leeches, or rather they found me. Lost quite a lot of blood. Only just managed to stop the bleeding. Little buggers even managed to bite me through my socks.

Geez, dog eat your homework too?