My School Wants Me To Resign

WonnabeBiker

More bad info, there is no grace period, when your employment ends so does your visa and wp. The only extra time you will get is the time it takes for your school to turn in your permits and however long it takes to get into the immigration computer. But hey its only 500B per day overstay.

Our work permit and visa are now totally separate.

Re: grade fixing and the everyone must pass system, I'm afraid your p!ssing against the wind by trying to fight it and if the school wants you gone, then its probably better to just go, I know people who have fought the system and all they have done is damage their reputation and prospects of getting a contract elsewhere.

The schools here are only concerned about students appearing to be successful, they have been fiddling the system so long that they actually believe this equates to actual academic advancement. They are genuinely proud when they've cheated, the fact that they've fiddled the figures just vanishes from their minds, it's really quite bizarre.

When I were a teacher, if a parent complained about the grade their child had been given, I just passed them the marks book and invited them to enter whatever grade they thought their child deserved, this was in the UK. Everyone left the table happy.

Really, uptight teachers, get over yourselves.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Agree with other posters on this forum. Don't bother trying the court solution if you haven't been working there for over a year and are prepared to lay out 10 (or 20) % of the money you want. It can take a couple of years before your case comes up.

A "World Class" school tried firing me and they told me to leave that day. I followed a lawyer's advice that they owed me three months pay, my holiday pay and a chunk for wrongful dismissal . I kept signing in as instructed by the lawyer and showed them the Thai Labour Laws.

They let me stay until the end of term as it was too much of a problem for the school to be taken to court. I told all of my students what the administrator (not a very popular woman with student and parents) tried on.

I "won" a small victory as I was leaving at the end of the year anyway but the school didn't know.

Update.

Unlike the 99.x% of other employees, my salary wasn't received 30 hours ago.

To find this out, I had to waste time queuing at the bank on two consecutive days.

Then I asked the Finance Dept.

• got a payslip as usual
  • seems someone received my salary in cash last week. Then failed to mention it to me.
  • Does this woman want sexual favors, a kickback, a lap dance?
  • the crazy fact remains that no notice was served - ever!

Someone might be the President of the company, CEO, chairman of the Board or sole shareholder.

That person could not interfere and say "gimme the cute blond secretary's salary in cash".

Any genuine HR reason would involve some kind of notice and be it an e-mail "come to my office,

I got your salary in cash".

Using someone's hard-earned salary as leverage is unacceptable to me.

"you want that salary? Lemme see your bush - I have been wondering what colour it may be..."

Exploytation of the lowest sort would spread if such practices were legal.

After a week or two, another spiel might be to offer a reduced payment. "Take half, sign her for all and it's yours in a minute."

I'm not waiting to find out. In the absence of any message, explanation or notice, I'm treating it as embezzlement!

Has any one of you guys experienced something like this?

I'm disgusted!

WonnabeBiker, calm down.

Just find out who signed for your salary (From the sounds, you have your assumptions already), and then go and ask for it.

They should give it to you, if they don't, then you can look in to what the next step is. However for now, there's no legal reason for them to not give it to you.

Although when you go to see them, try to listen carefully to them, and to stay calm. Don't try and make a mountain out of a molehill with them, as I'm sure that you can resolve the matter amicably. If they say that they won't give it to you until you do x, you can tell them that you can discuss that, but that you need to have the funds released to you first, as your salary is paid in in arrears, therefore they have no reason to withhold it from you (Unless of course they just want you to sign to confirm that you've received your salary lol, as you'll have to do this if you're receiving it in cash).

If they don't give you your salary, you could goto the police, and say that it was stolen (As it technically has been, since from what you said, they took your salary out as cash (rather than simply withholding it or docking you for something), but it's probably not worth the trouble (Police likely wouldn't want to get involved, as no doubt your school's director is on a first name basis with their boss, and they'd recognise that it's a matter better resolved by mediation between employer and employee).

It's not unusual to have you pay arrangements messed around with, at the moment we are getting most of our money paid into the bank and some paid cash in hand. However it's usually everyone in the same boat, the fact you've been singled out does seem weird/unfair! First of all I'd go and see your boss and get your money there might be a genuine reason, however they might just be trying to annoy you. Even in Thailand they can't just withhold wages, if you get no joy with your boss, then go and see the labour office or maybe even a lawyer, there are employment laws and not paying you is a breach of contract, pure and simple!

I don't know you or your school, but from the sound of things I would probably be starting to look elsewhere if I were you, especially with the October holidays coming up as its usually a good time to find something.

I'd agree with what sly said, stay completely calm, if they are trying to screw you over it could be bait to get you to loose your temper, "farang jai lorn!" then use it against you. I have seen that tactic used several times and the one sure thing to p!ss anyone off it's stopping their wages.

If you have worked, you should get paid. If you don't, then this is the leverage that you need to take some real action.

My guess is that it is simply a cock-up on someone's part. Go in and nicely explain the situation and ask for your pay. If it's not forthcoming, then ask to see who has signed to receive the pay. Bring your updated passbook along as well.

Try to keep yourself calmed down, because this will only cause you more grief and suffering and will be totally unproductive.

You want your pay, you deserve your pay and you have worked and therefore, earned your pay.