Opening A Bank Account

"OPENING A BANGKOK BANK ACCOUNT

We realize that life for foreigners in a new country can sometimes be difficult so we

aim to take away the hassle, help you set up an account and make banking easier.

If you are working or living in Thailand or just moving here, we can help to set up a

new bank account for you quickly and easily. With a long-term visa and a work permit

or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking

services like phone banking and internet banking.

Please note that if you are a national from another country you will need a copy of

your passport, visa and valid work permit, when you open an account."

Quote from Bangkok Bank Website....

If I was moving here to "support" my Thai wife and did not have a work permit,would I still be able to open a Bank Account?

I would be on a "O" visa at first until the "Extension" is granted.

So would I have to wait until I have the "Extension",before opening a Bank Account?

They don`t make it easy to move here....... :o

I thought all I would have to do would be turn up at the Bank,show passport,hand over an opening balance and that would be it.

I thought all I would have to do would be turn up at the Bank,show passport,hand over an opening balance and that would be it.

And that is also all it takes. Some banks/branches might require a work permit but then just try another one, as most will be happy to open an account for you. If you don't speak thai bringing a translator could possibly make the process easier, as you could otherwise risk being refused, simply because the bank officer is afraid to speak english. However, that shouldn't be necessary in the larger branches in Bangkok.

With a long-term visa and a work permit

or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking

services like phone banking and internet banking.

Note that Bangkok Bank only requires the work permit if you wish for phone or internet banking, not for the opening of an account.

I would be on a "O" visa at first until the "Extension" is granted.

So would I have to wait until I have the "Extension",before opening a Bank Account?

If the extension was a prerequisite for opening an account, then you would really be in trouble, as you can't get the extension in the first case without having the 400,000 Baht in in your bank account. Luckily as mentioned that is not the case.

Sophon

Thanks for the quick reply Sophon.

I hoped that this was the case but thought it best to make sure.

My wife is Thai so I will take her along when I open an account.

Having to deposit 400,000 in a Thai Bank was my concern as you rightly say I will need this to get the extension.

You have put my mind at rest.....for now anyway.

Paul

QUOTE :- I thought all I would have to do would be turn up at the Bank,show passport,hand over an opening balance and that would be it.

If all you want is a passbook account with a Debit/ATM card then that is all you need.

If Bangkok Bank are 'difficult' the go to Siam Commercial, never had any problem with them.

Naka.

I opened an Account with Bangkok Bank with just a 30 day entry stamp got my ATM 10 Mins later no problems.

I now have a Non Imm O and after arriving here to retire went into my Branch and set up Internet Banking and I have no work Permit was with my TG and she did most of the talking. The Account is in My name only also. Yuk Work that's a bad word !!

I opened Krung Thai and Kasikorn accounts with ATM cards and online banking with just a tourist visa, if one branch says no, try another. Maybe there are official set requirements but each branch is a little empire and make the rules as they go along...TIT

I opened Krung Thai and Kasikorn accounts with ATM cards and online banking with just a tourist visa, if one branch says no, try another. Maybe there are official set requirements but each branch is a little empire and make the rules as they go along...TIT

The online banking would be an advantage as well as ATM card.

Will take your advice and try another branch if I get refused....

Paul