Staying In Chiang Mai Full Time

underthemoon

I am thinking of settling in Chiang Mai for the foreseeable future, the problem I have is my age. I am 30 years old and I don't seem to fit into any of the Visa categories.

I am basically retired after selling my internet business in the UK some years a go for a decent profit, so money isn't the issue, but it seems that I cannot be classed as retired until I am 50, is this correct?

I went to see immigration and they said I could do it via a back door due to my assets but I had to have a private meeting with the Chief, I take it this is not normal procedure, what would be the comebacks if I went this route and am I in someone's pocket for the next 20 years?

Also (sorry for asking too many questions) I have seen a nice house with a big expanse of land which is reasonably priced at just 22 million baht and I was wondering as a single guy, can I buy this outright using a solicitor or would I be on dodgy ground?

Thanks in advance.

UTM

Foreigners cannot buy land in Thailand. There are various methods to get round this law, some perfectly legal, othere more dodgy. Be careful who you deal with, you will need a Thai national involved in any scheme.

Best you plan on making visa runs every 2 or 3 months. Arrange a non-immigrant visa or tourist visa in your home country. And yes you would be in someone's pocket if you take the 'irregular' route.

I would take the Non Imm Visa from home and come for a few months, then check out Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. As a young single person with financial security, you might find a surrounding country to be a much better fit and then you can always come to Chiang Mai (and Thailand) for visits.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Your post seems to indicate that you are new to Thailand, and Chiang Mai. I'm a 30 something year old living in CM and will offer you the following advice: In this early phase proceed with caution. Doing dodgy deals with Immigration and buying a 22 Mill baht property are not the way to go in my opinion.

You may be aware of the saying "putting all of your eggs in one basket"? As is the general advice to anyone wanting to move here, I'd suggest coming here for a few months and renting a place first, which will give you time to assess your situation in your new surroundings.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Don't waste your hard earned money in Chiang Mai, the place has more smog than mexico city, barely livable sick.gif

what nonsense. Yes Chiang Mai has smog but it is hardly year round, usually a month or two depending on the weather. Yes, its bad, there is no denying that but your post implies it is all the time which is sheer nonsense.

I already got a problem with air pollution in pattaya which is by the seaside... I can't even imagine how bad it must be to stay full time in Chiang Mai ermm.gif

Don't waste your hard earned money in Chiang Mai, the place has more smog than mexico city, barely livable sick.gif

what nonsense. Yes Chiang Mai has smog but it is hardly year round, usually a month or two depending on the weather. Yes, its bad, there is no denying that but your post implies it is all the time which is sheer nonsense.

I already got a problem with air pollution in pattaya which is by the seaside... I can't even imagine how bad it must be to stay full time in Chiang Mai ermm.gif

So have you ever been to Chiang Mai ? if so what months ?

yes I took a small trip there in March, long hours sitting on the bus only to realize I couldn't bare with the smog, I left after 3 days

I have to agree with yoslim. I have lived here 6 years as my profile shows. I say this so you will know I am basing my opinion on experience. Yes there has been some real bad times but never more than two months and the really bad part only a few weeks. We have people living year around here that know when it is coming and plan there vacations accordingly. By the way last year it didn't have any.

As for a house worth that much I am guessing it is out a ways from the city and you would not be bothered by the smog you get in any city with a lot of traffic.

With your money and your age I think Chiang Mai would be a good choice as it has a International airport and you can travel to many different areas here in the Asian world. As other posters have said check out other countries. But I think when you take every thing into consideration you will find Chiang Mai a good place to call home.

Thanks for the responses, Like Onthe darkside and SCD have said I think immigrations deals are not the way to go, I'll see how things develop over the next few months, Ive got to shoot home to the UK in December anyway so I'll see about a visa from Hull for a longer term. Regarding neighbouring countries, I have visited on many occasions Cambodia and Vietnam and I own already property in Cebu in the Philippines and Beijing in China (now thats Smog). I like the Thailand feel and I've never been a fan of renting property, so if I am to stay here then I will have to go the buying an house route.

Again thanks to all that responded.

UTM

Edited by underthemoon

Thanks for the responses, Like Onthe darkside and SCD have said I think immigrations deals are not the way to go, I'll see how things develop over the next few months, Ive got to shoot home to the UK in December anyway so I'll see about a visa from Hull for a longer term. Regarding neighbouring countries, I have visited on many occasions Cambodia and Vietnam and I own already property in Cebu in the Philippines and Beijing in China (now thats Smog). I like the Thailand feel and I've never been a fan of renting property, so if I am to stay here then I will have to go the buying an house route.

UTM

You can not own property in Thailand regardless of what anyone tells you. So save your money or you could just be throwing it away.

• Like 1

UTM

The Thai Embassy in Hull are very efficient and will provide good advice with no bs if asked a question about your visa options. (I'm thinking the investment visa option). Run it past them and see what they say.

My experience was to do the visa runs every 3 months which I used both as a perfect excuse for an change of scenery and to stock up on hard to get/ quality items. Both Singapore and KL were my prefered destinations but as has been previously pointed out, there are loads of options close by.

Once I found my feet, I already had a basic grasp of the lingo, had suitable contacts who offered excellent advice and purchased a property perfect for my needs. Play it smart, don't jump in too quick and you too could have a great life in the LOS.

Good luck whatever you do!

• Like 1

OP may want to consider getting an ED visa and studying Thai language -- at least for the first year while he learns his way around the area. You only have to be "in class" 4 hr/week for an ED visa and some schools have very flexible schedules. It helps to learn more about the culture, too, to learn a bit of the language.

Obviously, you can't plan on maintaining an ED visa for 20 years, but it would permit the OP to figure out what he wants to do with the 10 million he would need to invest to qualify for the investment visa.

Oh, and stay away from "back door" deals with Immigration. The chief maybe had something in mind for that 10 million dollar investment the OP would have to make to qualify for the absolutely legal investment visa.

Edited by NancyL

yes I took a small trip there in March, long hours sitting on the bus only to realize I couldn't bare with the smog, I left after 3 days

Sniffing smog on a bus for three days isn't pleasant!

• Like 1

A lot of mid/high end properties are overpriced from my experiences. If you have a chunk of wonga I would look into building something to your own design, 22M should get you a dream property on plenty of land ( if you are happy being a 10- 15 minute drive from town. ) Much more fun but will require more effort. Plenty of foreigners lease land here and have lovely properties, it can be done no problem. Maybe it carries more risk than a leasehold in London but you only live once and its only money :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

+1

To be honest CM web, I am being told off too many people that its not possible to make me think that there isn't a simple way round it. I've not been in Thailand that long but it seems things are a lot more hassle than some of the countries I have made substantial property purchases, please send me a message with at least a hint of how you can get round the land laws as your website is very vague on the subject. The other problem I have with your site is that you say I can contact you to look at houses you have for sale/rent, but it seems that you haven't updated your website since may 2012, so how successful have you been in the real estate market in Chiang Mai?

Edited by underthemoon

To be honest CM web, I am being told off too many people that its not possible to make me think that there isn't a simple way round it. I've not been in Thailand that long but it seems things are a lot more hassle than some of the countries I have made substantial property purchases, please send me a message with at least a hint of how you can get round the land laws as your website is very vague on the subject. The other problem I have with your site is that you say I can contact you to look at houses you have for sale/rent, but it seems that you haven't updated your website since may 2012, so how successful have you been in the real estate market in Chiang Mai?

Not sure where you get the Mai update from, we just update all listings today!???

I send you a PM

I'm over 7 years in this biz, but open Buy & Rent Chiang Mai about 2 month ago

...and also a legal work around the land law

Nonsense. OP don't listen to him/her.

I would say he should no listen to you, there is a legal way to own a land, you just need to know how

You are giving false information.

The only way to "own" land is to hold free, clear, legal and marketable title in your own name; of which a foreigner can not do. I have friends who listened to people like you, went to solicitors and the like, got involved with a Thai citizen holding title, or a company, and in the end they got burned and lost everything. One friend did prevail in court but has yet to collect a single satang on an 8 figure judgement.

Foreigners cannot buy land in Thailand. There are various methods to get round this law, some perfectly legal, othere more dodgy. Be careful who you deal with, you will need a Thai national involved in any scheme.

Best you plan on making visa runs every 2 or 3 months. Arrange a non-immigrant visa or tourist visa in your home country. And yes you would be in someone's pocket if you take the 'irregular' route.

Sorry to dissagree with you but there are a few ways you can. BOI has a few programs.

1 way is to transfer 30m Baht into thailand, then you can purchase up to 1 rai land for a home.

other ways are Land and home has programs approved by the government as well as the new Singapore developer (is it Alps or Alpine I forget)

How wonderful a man from Pattaya 850 km away telling people how things are in CM

Please Yoslim, stick to you Jet ski scams, over priced everything, and zillion beer bars in Pattaya. They need you there !

UTM

You can not own property in Thailand regardless of what anyone tells you. So save your money or you could just be throwing it away.

My guess you have never gone down to Bangkok, went to the Board of Investment, sat down in a chair, and asked them. Maybe you don't have, or don't want to "Invest" in Thailand, but use use it as you see fit. But for those who do, there are cirtain privleges given to you. Just like in the USA in you bring in 500,000 or start a business and hire I think it's 24 people.

Visa is not really a problem, If you truly want to be here there are so many ways to get a legal visa. Start off with a double entry Tourist good for half a year and go from there.

Get here, live it, learn it

Check things out. areas you like

Do take a day and go to BOI and check there options

After 6 monts or a year you should be educated enough to make a smart well thought out plan of action for yourself

But please remember, Thai Visa is a good start to get information, but there is also many who don't know what they are talking about and like to add their 2 cents worth