Apple Iphone 5 Sells More Than 2 Million On First Day

webfact

Yep the propaganda works eh! My GF hasn't a clue about technology but won't look past an iPhone no matter what the facts are... oh well

After my Cambodian GF complained just now, about some sound and clear-hearing problems with her Mobile of unknown brand,

I told her to buy a 25 Dollar NOKIA and to stop complaining. thumbsup.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

What-is-the-best-way-to-milk-a-sheep.png

You can't move forward without making changes, the old connector was 9 years old and a lot has changed in 9 years.

Of course a lot of people just don't get it.. that's OK, the iPhone just isn't for everyone, of course. But, it's still the best phone available in the world today.

Some people love Apple as a company, others despise them.. but as the wealthiest company in the world it can (and does) employ the top minds in the business, so it has the best tecnical excellence and the best design, and it's made from the best materials. It may not always have the latest or best spec, or the biggest screen.. but there is always a good reason why.

It's just unfortunate that excellence comes at a price that excludes a lot of people and puts others in debt to own one.. that's bad.

Much as I love Apple and it's products, there are FAR more important issues in the world and a lot of better things to be doing than worrying about mobile phones.

Your description could apply to Microsoft a few years ago, or IBM before that.

While I don't love or hate iphones, I do think it is a waste to spend so much money, time and talent on something as trivial as a mobile phone. Perhaps I am being presumptuous since I have not even seen an iphone 5 yet. Maybe they will change our lives, question is for better or for worse?

The difference is, IBM and Microsoft were stagnating. They were protecting their business while slowing innovation to a near halt. Look no further than Windows. There's absolutely no way either of them would have changed the connector in this situation; that's also the reason they're nowhere to be found in the phone market.

As for why spend the money on a phone, because it's the computer you use more than any other.

Does technology make your life better? Probably not. I mean it depends. Visiting SF with a friend recently, one of the first things he did upon arrival was to check out his OKCupid app for cute girls in the area. If you're single you might have to get a smartphone for that reason alone.. YMMV biggrin.png

IBM and Microsoft stagnated atleast partly because they fell in to a booming new market that slowly became less about fashion and novelty and more about price. I.E. PC's became a commodity. IBM tell themselves they just returned to their core market, big boxes and business machines.

Apple will struggle to avoid the same fate. After 5 generations of the iphone, it could be argued they are already stagnating. Still Apple have done a remarkable job at selling boxes. I was at a meeting recently and the guy next to me had an iphone, an ipad and a laptop all going at the same time. Made me think of that "convergence" term that was fashionable a few years ago.

Personally I don't find smart phones a very effective alternative to a PC. I reckon tablet like the ipad are closer, but even they are still a bit limited as a PC and a bit cumbersome as a phone so convergence still has some converging to too. Meanwhile Apple will keep selling 3 devices, (not counting the ipod).