Drink Driving Blitz Starts Oct 1St

kaptainrob

Indeed I don't know if you drink and drive but your defending it so it stands to reason your one of those guys. Most normal guys don't defend drinking and driving.

Quote where I defended drinking and driving.

It's just one made up piece of rubbish after another with your posts.

Thank you Mr teacher, but if you don't defend drunk driving or drive drunk then i have absolutely no problem with you. Just looked like it and if im mistaken im mistaken.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed I don't know if you drink and drive but your defending it so it stands to reason your one of those guys. Most normal guys don't defend drinking and driving.

Thank you Mr teacher, but if you don't defend drunk driving or drive drunk then i have absolutely no problem with you. Just looked like it and if im mistaken im mistaken.

this is now funny

this is now funny

Why is it funny, i only have a problem with drunk drivers, or people who defend it.

And if i am wrong in something, im not to big to admit it.

SO, to kinda get this topic back on track, there have been some interesting things with the road blocks so far this month. It appears the checkpoint police have changed up their tactics a bit. They seem to be employing a new roving roadblock tactic.

For example, normally they will setup the checkpoint around Thapae Gate about midnight'ish and spend 4 hours there. At least twice this week, there was no checkpoint there at 2AM, but they'd show up and have a full blown checkpoint (cone, breathalyzer tent, etc) setup by 2:30AM. I've also noticed the police trucks driving around loaded down with cones, looking to setup checkpoints. I'm really interested to see how long they stay setup, before relocating the checkpoint to another stop.

Another expat also reported something interesting. He said that late at night the lights between KSK mall and discovery Club were all turned off. The police were then running out into the road and stopping cars as they saw fit. They didn't have police lights, etc, to prevent alerting people to their presence and having the ability to turn off and avoid it. Sound a bit dangerous to me.

Anyway, stay safe out there. Please note that I'm in no way condoning drinking and driving, however being a resident of the real world, I do recognize that it is sometimes a necessary evil.

Depending on where you live, surrounding circumstances (business dinners with out of town clients, etc), its not always as simple as "get a taxi".

-Mestizo

SO, to kinda get this topic back on track, there have been some interesting things with the road blocks so far this month. It appears the checkpoint police have changed up their tactics a bit. They seem to be employing a new roving roadblock tactic.

For example, normally they will setup the checkpoint around Thapae Gate about midnight'ish and spend 4 hours there. At least twice this week, there was no checkpoint there at 2AM, but they'd show up and have a full blown checkpoint (cone, breathalyzer tent, etc) setup by 2:30AM. I've also noticed the police trucks driving around loaded down with cones, looking to setup checkpoints. I'm really interested to see how long they stay setup, before relocating the checkpoint to another stop.

Another expat also reported something interesting. He said that late at night the lights between KSK mall and discovery Club were all turned off. The police were then running out into the road and stopping cars as they saw fit. They didn't have police lights, etc, to prevent alerting people to their presence and having the ability to turn off and avoid it. Sound a bit dangerous to me.

Anyway, stay safe out there. Please note that I'm in no way condoning drinking and driving, however being a resident of the real world, I do recognize that it is sometimes a necessary evil.

Depending on where you live, surrounding circumstances (business dinners with out of town clients, etc), its not always as simple as "get a taxi".

-Mestizo

Good information, so it seems they are doing something.

I don't agree with you that its a necessary evil as you can always opt not to drink. Agree to disagree.

Choosing that their pleasure is more important than the life of others ? Do you think its ok if i started playing Russian roulette with you without your consent ?

So you find murdering people pleasurable? Also, if you shoot someone in the head, they die, you don't. Which usually isn't what happens in an accident. Both people die, or a drunk driver dies by himself, etc etc.

Worst analogy ever.

In most accidents the drunk driver hits a motorcycle... bye bye motorcycle. If two cars collide i grant you the drunk driver might die too.

The fact is that a drunk driver starts to risk others without their consent, there may or may not be an accident. So i still feel its a correct analog.

But bad analogy or not do you think drunk driving should be accepted ?

In thailand? or the world. Because there are tons of places in the world where motorcycles aren't a main choice of transportation and i'm guessing drunk drivers hitting motorcycles isn't number one on the list of drunk driving accidents.

No i'm not. but if you are going to try to over sensationalize something at least pick something that makes sense.

Choosing that their pleasure is more important than the life of others ? Do you think its ok if i started playing Russian roulette with you without your consent ?

So you find murdering people pleasurable? Also, if you shoot someone in the head, they die, you don't. Which usually isn't what happens in an accident. Both people die, or a drunk driver dies by himself, etc etc.

Worst analogy ever.

In most accidents the drunk driver hits a motorcycle... bye bye motorcycle. If two cars collide i grant you the drunk driver might die too.

The fact is that a drunk driver starts to risk others without their consent, there may or may not be an accident. So i still feel its a correct analog.

But bad analogy or not do you think drunk driving should be accepted ?

In thailand? or the world. Because there are tons of places in the world where motorcycles aren't a main choice of transportation and i'm guessing drunk drivers hitting motorcycles isn't number one on the list of drunk driving accidents.

No i'm not. but if you are going to try to over sensationalize something at least pick something that makes sense.

We are here in Thailand and yes many drunk drivers hit motor cycles. Almost got t boned myself too by a (maybe) drunk driver. I drove through green and a driver went through red. It was evening and near bars and such. Anyway im pretty sure i would have been dead if he had hit me.

Drunk drivers are risking others they are increasing the risks to others, and it might not always be fatal or there might not be an incident. Similar to russian roulette, nothing could happen or you could end up dead.

Its not hard to not drink.. or take a taxi, of course its more of a hassle and more expensive. But does that excuse it. That is the question. Most people would say it would not excuse it.

• 1 year later...

I dont get your 'being resident of the real world drink driving is sometimes a necessary evil' - if you are out with clients do they care if you drink non-alcoholic drinks because you have to drive??? They may just respect you for that sensible decision and do more business with you!!

lSO, to kinda get this topic back on track, there have been some interesting things with the road blocks so far this month. It appears the checkpoint police have changed up their tactics a bit. They seem to be employing a new roving roadblock tactic.

-Mestizo

I know this may seem extreme, but--what say nobody drive drunk for a while?

For a while? Why are you advocating irresponsible behavior, by setting a limited time period?

( rolleyes.gif )

Na he is just trying to help you operate every hour of the day rather than have to work around 3 of them.

15_8_217.gif

there is that website where they tell you,where police are.also just remember to wear your helmet and drive slow past the police stops.if you drive ok and not silly you should be waved thru

Methinks wearing a helmet while driving a pickup truck would be a dead giveaway to the BiB w00t.gif

It would help if Chiang Mai had a decent public transport system. The grubby songthaew stop at 7pm. Try getting a taxi after about 11pm - and no chance of him using his meter, and a tuk-tuk on top of a few pints is going to have you chucking up everywhere - especially if you're going some distance. No problem here in Bangkok: cheap metered taxis 24/7. Not condoning drink driving but I can understand why people do it.

• Like 1

They need these places set up on the roads leaving the inner city for the Super Highway and ring roads. Having them at Tha Pae Gate is just revenue raising and is doing almost nothing to improve safety in Chiang Mai.

better get a pushbike

In many jurisdictions riding a bicycle impaired by drink or drugs is an offense.

True story, some time ago of a guy riding a bicycle in Brisbane ,Australia without a helmet and talking on a mobile phone was apprehended.For both offences he was fined $100 (approx 3,000 baht)

Not sure if he was drug tested or breathalysed smile.png

• 2 weeks later...