New Honda Crv Finally Launched In Thai!

RevStar Zen

post-158257-13479907489016_thumb.jpg

www.honda.co.th/crv

Seems to me Honda had used the same SOHC engine from the 9th generation to power the CRV at least in 2 litre guise providing the same 155bhp as previous generation CRV..

Surprise surprise. Call it "all new", give it new head lights and rear lights as PRESTO. It's ALL NEW.

Toyota and Honda sucks big time.

• Like 1

It's not just Toyota and Honda that call a minor facelift a new car. In fairness to Honda, the new CR-V is more than new front and rear lights. Unfortunately, judging by the publicity photos, the new body, like the old model, is not the most attractive car in the carpark. As Thaicruze said the old engines appear to have been carried over and Honda don't seem to have added many new features. They probably don't have too considering the current competition.

So if you want a medium size (smaller than a Fortuner) 5 seat wagon / SUV, in the 1.1 to 1.5M baht range, what do you buy?

Ford Escape, Nissan X-Trail, (Aged model due for replacement, resale value)?

Suzuki Vitara, Hyundai Tucson, (resale value and dealer support)?

Subaru Forrester, Ssangyong Korando (resale, dealer support and more $$)

Captiva, (bigger and styling similar to CRV anyway).

I can see why the old CR-V sold well.

• Like 1

The SOHC 2.0 is actually a new(ish) engine. Honda used the k20 before which is DOHC. Still, I wouldn't consider a CRV or similar, if it does not have a diesel engine. A 2.0 petrol will always struggle when hauling 1400+ kg or so.

It was also a factor pushing me to the PJS: I would not want to use a petrol engine with such a large car.

It's not just Toyota and Honda that call a minor facelift a new car. In fairness to Honda, the new CR-V is more than new front and rear lights. Unfortunately, judging by the publicity photos, the new body, like the old model, is not the most attractive car in the car park. As Thaicruze said the old engines appear to have been carried over and Honda don't seem to have added many new features. They probably don't have too considering the current competition.

So if you want a medium size (smaller than a Fortuner) 5 seat wagon / SUV, in the 1.1 to 1.5M baht range, what do you buy?

Excellent car comparison list! thumbsup.gif

The SOHC 2.0 is actually a new(ish) engine. Honda used the k20 before which is DOHC. Still, I wouldn't consider a CRV or similar, if it does not have a diesel engine. A 2.0 petrol will always struggle when hauling 1400+ kg or so.

Exactly!!

I'll never forget that sickening feeling when the 2.0L rental CR-V seemed as though it had lost power and literally almost started rolling backwards when it had trouble traversing a steep hill in the middle of nowhere in Petchabun province .... never again an under powered car for me! blink.png

It's not just Toyota and Honda that call a minor facelift a new car. In fairness to Honda, the new CR-V is more than new front and rear lights. Unfortunately, judging by the publicity photos, the new body, like the old model, is not the most attractive car in the car park. As Thaicruze said the old engines appear to have been carried over and Honda don't seem to have added many new features. They probably don't have too considering the current competition.

Excellent car comparison list! thumbsup.gif

Exactly!!

I'll never forget that sickening feeling when the 2.0L rental CR-V seemed as though it had lost power and literally almost started rolling backwards when it had trouble traversing a steep hill in the middle of nowhere in Petchabun province .... never again an under powered car for me! blink.png

Is that model u've rented a 2wd model?Perhaps the 4wd would have handled the steep hill better..

post-158257-13479907489016_thumb.jpg

www.honda.co.th/crv

Seems to me Honda had used the same SOHC engine from the 9th generation to power the CRV at least in 2 litre guise providing the same 155bhp as previous generation CRV..

Surprise surprise. Call it "all new", give it new head lights and rear lights as PRESTO. It's ALL NEW.

Toyota and Honda sucks big time.

Thaicruze...i am always eagerly waiting for your reply as i find your reply has that straightforward but in a very amusing way.

I do agree Toyota and Honda sucks in their cost-cutting measures over their volume selling cars.But do think about NSXs and Supras?I wish Honda would concentrate more on their NSX rather then their nonsensical asimo robot!

U're right..my mistake..they were using the K20 DOHC engine previously on the previous gen CRV.

Now for the "All-New" CRV is the R20 SOHC..cost cutting measures?Hmm..

U're right..my mistake..they were using the K20 DOHC engine previously on the previous gen CRV.

Now for the "All-New" CRV is the R20 SOHC..cost cutting measures?Hmm..

Profit making measure.

• Like 1

Yep, 1.2 - 1.5M but you are stuck with the 2.0L in the lower priced models. The 2.4L starts at 1.4M.

I didn't notice the change in engines on first look either. I gather Honda have been swapping a lot of models from DOHC to SOHC. If you look around the Honda forums, seems conventional logic and the Honda fans agree on the K series DOHC having more power at high revs (>7,000) in the sportier models, but the R Series SOHC having similar power and better mid range and economy in more mundane models, at the cost of bragging rights. Considering the CR-V's market and weight, the SOHC engine may be better. Probably save a buck for Honda as well.

Even though I don't particularly like the Captiva, I would get a Captiva Diesel before I get this.

Ford is just Fugly to me.

It's weird this category. It's not a full size SUV, but not a full size car. It's like in between.

Get a big car, or go for broke and get a Pajero sport. That's what I would do.

I mean, the CRV isn't a bad car, it's just like something I would buy my wife or my sister. Not big enough to have cojones.

Edited by thaicruze

The selections on offer in this sector are pretty dire and the arrival of the new She-RV will not improve things at all.

The only potentially interesting car on the horizon may be the Kuga (new Escape) when it arrives. Has good reviews from elsewhere, just a question of what engines they will put in it for Thailand. Comes with the 2 litre TDCi in the UK which would be ideal, and a 2.5 litre 5 cyclinder petrol turbo elsewhere. Not sure if there are plans for using the 2 litre GDI as per the new Focus, or ever the eco-boost.

I spotted one last week when I was outside of Thailand, can't say I am completely sold on the looks but against the other current options not so bad.

The competition for the CR-V will probably not improve until / if the new Ford and maybe the Mazda CX5 are available.

The Captiva is still the CR-V's main competitor but it is actually closer in size and weight to the Fortuner / PJS than the CR-V. Chev charge an extra 128,000 baht for the diesel version of the Captiva. The 2.7L petrol version would probably be pretty bad on Fuel pushing a 1.9 tonne wagon around. I wonder how much better the fuel consumption is with the Diesel. Any Captiva owners

Thai cruze, the main attraction of this category seems to be the fact that:

a) They are smaller than the Fortuner / PJS size and more car like so better to drive in town.

cool.png They are not full size cars but are close in size, weight and cost. As a wagon, they can still carry more than a Camry or Accord.

c) They look high so people THINK they can drive through flood water etc.

Hence the popularity with ladies.

Strange how unpopular regular station wagons or estates are in Thailand?

Don't think Toyota and Honda even try. Do Chev?

post-149670-0-10367000-1348122788_thumb.

Yep, 1.2 - 1.5M but you are stuck with the 2.0L in the lower priced models. The 2.4L starts at 1.4M.

I didn't notice the change in engines on first look either. I gather Honda have been swapping a lot of models from DOHC to SOHC. If you look around the Honda forums, seems conventional logic and the Honda fans agree on the K series DOHC having more power at high revs (>7,000) in the sportier models, but the R Series SOHC having similar power and better mid range and economy in more mundane models, at the cost of bragging rights. Considering the CR-V's market and weight, the SOHC engine may be better. Probably save a buck for Honda as well.

I also think the SOHC engines will also be more economical, while sacrificing a bit of top end performance. My 2.0 k20A3 hits it's straps about 5000 rpm to redline - pretty useless for driving around town where low to mid rpm pull is needed.

I also think the SOHC engines will also be more economical, while sacrificing a bit of top end performance. My 2.0 k20A3 hits it's straps about 5000 rpm to redline - pretty useless for driving around town where low to mid rpm pull is needed.

Ya..the low-to-mid-end torque is most necessarily used in town driving where you'll utilise at least 50-75% of the power mostly...hence the SOHC engines and cheaper to produce for Honda as well!

was at the honda dealer in Pattaya yesterday and the 1st show car 2.4 E arrived already - looks and feels great but as usuual no test drive possible. According to the manager they will get only 4 - 5 cars in October and the waiting list/pre bookings has already 40 names on it.

The cars look more solid and optic and interior quality seems way better than the old version.

Anyway have to sell my Accord 1st before continuing dreaming :-)

• Like 1