32" Tv/computer Monitor Dead, Lg Cannot Repair

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, CM TV friends,

Following my divorce from television more than five years ago, I used my 32 inch excellent quality (for its time) 32" LG monitor as a computer monitor. Obviously, the monitor is way out of warranty now.

It now shows no red light indicating its getting power, and the on/off switch does nothing. Of course I did the obvious checks: swapping power cables, vacuuming out the male AC socket on the tv, even testing with a volt-ohm-meter to make sure power was available at the female end of both power cables I swapped.

So, off to LG service center near Pratu Chiang Mai (very nice people). They let me know they can't repair it because of "obsolete parts."

Now, a failure of power-on can often be a failure of the internal switching power supply only (if you are lucky).

So, where can I find a shop in Chiang Mai which has techs that can actually open up the set, do the obvious checks on the power supply. If it is the power supply only, the probable range of voltage outputs of said power supply probably fall within very standard ranges for both DC and AC outputs, and could be potentially replaced: if it's a "higher-level failure:" then it may not be repairable.

I''ve searched the previous threads on this forum for this and similar topics, and one recommendation, from some time ago, is some shops in the area of Icon Plaza (I know where they are).

Anyone seen a shop in their area full of big LCD tee-vees with someone actually working on the "guts" of one of them ?

Future Electronics. and Amorn: are both out: they do nothing, and: Future Electronics has extremely rude staff (and are nothing but a drop-zone for shipping stuff in warranty to Bangkok).

thanks ! ~o:37;

Hi orang37, I'm not sure I understand the problem with Amorn Repair Center behind Icon Plaza. I understand what you said about Future. Did they refuse to open it up and have a look? That would surprise me.

I've taken perhaps 10 different things to Amorn for repair; computer monitors, fans, photography lights, UPS battery supplies, microwave ovens, stereo system, and the list goes on. They never refused to service anything.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Elektrified,

Appreciate your response !

My experience with Amorn was with their outlet in the ground-level parking lot of what used to be Carrefour and is now Big C II: took a Toshiba microwave several years old there (former top-of-the-line model); they called me two days later and said could not repair: that calls into question, for me, whether they ever sent it to their (assumedly larger ?) facility somewhere, and actually opened it. However, they were polite, and only charged me 200 baht, so: no complaints.

The Future Electronics office on the Superhighway (west side), not that far after you cross the intersection with the road to Doi Saket heading south, do not open anything up to my knowledge: while they are supposedly an authorized drop-point for Toshiba service, they claimed that all they could do was charge me 1000 baht for shipping the unit to Bangkok. They claimed they could not telephone the main service center in Bangkok by phone or e-mail, for Toshiba, and inquire if they even had available replacement parts for the specific model I had ... magnetron, transformer, or capacitor, are the most probable failure causes for a microwave ... and, as I said, their behavior was rude in the extreme (for Thais, and my behavior certainly gave them no reason to be rude).

Since I have to go to Pratu Chiang Mai to pick up the teevee anyhow, maybe it's worth a swing by that area in the nest building past (heading east) Icon Plaza, where, in the long-ago past,I do remember there were some active repair shops for computer parts.

I consulted with Khun Khong, the magician who resurrected my Acer notebook several years ago (and who I recommended to Gonzo, who also had a good experience with him for his notebook failure) on tv-repair in CM, and he recommended ... Future Electronics, not realizing the place he recommended on T. Chang Pluek had moved to the Superhighway several months before.

Fortunately I had an old 19 inch monitor at hand, but my old eyes really miss the big 32" display.

And, at this point, I don't want to buy another large monitor (not in Chiang Mai anyway), because: within three or four months, much lower-cost monitors using IPS (in-plane switching) LED technology will be available which are quite superior to the current LCD LED's on offer, and, imho, there's such a glut of older LCD LED monitors around, I believe their prices will be slashed at least 40% off what they are now.

These IPS monitors, in 24 inch size, are going for around US $300 in the US now. http://www.newegg.co...ion=ips&x=0&y=0

Economies of scale, as production yields increase for IPS panels, should drive down the still relatively high price of the rarer 27 inch and 30 inch models.

best, ~o37

Edited by orang37

My experience with Amorn was with their outlet in the ground-level parking lot of what used to be Carrefour and is now Big C II: took a Toshiba microwave several years old there (former top-of-the-line model); they called me two days later and said could not repair: that calls into question, for me, whether they ever sent it to their (assumedly larger ?) facility somewhere, and actually opened it. However, they were polite, and only charged me 200 baht, so: no complaints.

The Future Electronics office on the Superhighway (west side), not that far after you cross the intersection with the road to Doi Saket heading south, do not open anything up to my knowledge: while they are supposedly an authorized drop-point for Toshiba service, they claimed that all they could do was charge me 1000 baht for shipping the unit to Bangkok. They claimed they could not telephone the main service center in Bangkok by phone or e-mail, for Toshiba, and inquire if they even had available replacement parts for the specific model I had ... magnetron, transformer, or capacitor, are the most probable failure causes for a microwave ... and, as I said, their behavior was rude in the extreme (for Thais, and my behavior certainly gave them no reason to be rude).

Since I have to go to Pratu Chiang Mai to pick up the teevee anyhow, maybe it's worth a swing by that area in the nest building past (heading east) Icon Plaza, where, in the long-ago past,I do remember there were some active repair shops for computer parts.

I consulted with Khun Khong, the magician who resurrected my Acer notebook several years ago (and who I recommended to Gonzo, who also had a good experience with him for his notebook failure) on tv-repair in CM, and he recommended ... Future Electronics, not realizing the place he recommended on T. Chang Pluek had moved to the Superhighway several months before.

Fortunately I had an old 19 inch monitor at hand, but my old eyes really miss the big 32" display.

And, at this point, I don't want to buy another large monitor (not in Chiang Mai anyway), because: within three or four months, much lower-cost monitors using IPS (in-plane switching) LED technology will be available which are quite superior to the current LCD LED's on offer, and, imho, there's such a glut of older LCD LED monitors around, I believe their prices will be slashed at least 40% off what they are now.

These IPS monitors, in 24 inch size, are going for around US $300 in the US now. http://www.newegg.co...ion=ips&x=0&y=0

Economies of scale, as production yields increase for IPS panels, should drive down the still relatively high price of the rarer 27 inch and 30 inch models.

best, ~o37

I've had many different items repaired satisfactorily by Future but tend to use Amorn more because they are cheaper. Try the Amorn repair shop behind Icon Plaza on the northern moat road.

Could the fact that they no longer sell LCD and have not for a while have any thing to do with there reluctance to work on it?

Perhaps they are just trying to get you to upgrade to LED.

Some thing to consider the set is old and I have no doubt repairable but it will continue unlike you to age and parts unlike you be irreplaceable.

Just a thoughtsmile.png

Sounds like they couldn't be ass'd. They came out and changed a transistor on ours, which was just a month out of warranty! Cost a grand but better than lugging the chunk of s**t around. Incidentally, the on/off button was also FUBAR so could just be the actuator on yours.

Just have the back off, check the switch, and bung your volmeter across the incoming to rule out dodgy plug/cable. If no go, throw the thing over the hedge where all LG stuff belongs. whistling.gif On reflection, I wouldn't buy LG again as fundamental stuff like that just shouldn't go so early.

Agreed on the IPS monitors. I've got the Dell U2412M and it's pretty sharp. Your current setup will doubtless be sucking up the juice.

best, ~o37

I've had many different items repaired satisfactorily by Future but tend to use Amorn more because they are cheaper. Try the Amorn repair shop behind Icon Plaza on the northern moat road.

+1

Amorn Service Center in the back near the lift to Fitness Thailand is much different than the little shop in the Carrefour parking lot. They have about 20 or more electronic technicians working in there. I would be very surprised if they can't repair it.

We had a 42 inch LG plasma tv die just 2 months out of warranty LG... "Could not repair"

Bit the bullet on the 28K Baht paid for the set.

No more LG products in this household......Ever!

Total Crap

Edited by Pushit

Have you tried this chap here?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=18.791514,98.996269&spn=0.002087,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.7916,98.996214&panoid=fKeMlKrq_2Vas13T1pWbWQ&cbp=12,233,,0,11.67

It's been a while since i've had anything break, but he fixed my 24" computer monitor a couple of years back. Samsung just shrugged and said they don't have any parts for 24" LCD's (this was back in 2006).

Have you tried this chap here?

https://maps.google....12,233,,0,11.67

It's been a while since i've had anything break, but he fixed my 24" computer monitor a couple of years back. Samsung just shrugged and said they don't have any parts for 24" LCD's (this was back in 2006).

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Thailandf2rally,

Thanks, I'll bicycle, or get by there, and see if he's stlll there: looks close to the intersection with Thanon Tai Wang, but hard to be sure.

~o:37;

Thanks, Khun Bluweyze, I am curious; did you ever have anything repaired by Future that was out of warranty and that was more than a simple household appliance ?

I consider it possible that Amorn in the Big C II did ship the microwave over to the center behind Icon Plaza, since it's clear from the layout of the Big C shop they do no repair there.

~o:37;