The Definitive Non-Starbucks Coffee Thread

JSixpack

Due to a raging pent-up demand to inform the world about what non-Starbucks coffee and coffee shops one has the superior taste, intelligence, and politics to prefer, tell us all about it right here. Get it out, once and for all!

OK. What's your favorite coffee shop in Pattaya? Why?

What's your favorite homebrew? What's your daily go-to?

Me, I don't really have a favorite shop, as I'm not that much of a gourmet. I can afford any w/ no sweat. I can say I did have a great (or so it seemed to me) cuppa at a newcomer, Coffee Corner, recently. There's one on Naklua Rd. down from Boncafe, and one on the 2nd Rd side of Royal Garden.

As for favorite homebrew, I was drinking the Executive blend by somebody or other, then I found that the price of Boncafe's All Day blend was a lot cheaper if purchased at the Boncafe shop, and quite good, too. So I stayed w/ that for a couple years I guess. Then the price of Boncafe rose unreasonably IMO (it's the principle of the thing) and so, hell, I hit coffee skid row and am just drinking Douwe Egbert's now. The caffeine fix is what's most important anyway. smile.png If I want something better, I'll drink it in a shop.

I confess, at the risk of offending delicate sensibilities, I enjoy Vietnam coffee best of all, nice flavor, and when I come back from a visit to VN I bring several bags of it. It's a lot cheaper than the premium blends in Thailand. I don't prepare it the VN way, though, I just dump it in my regular ol' coffee maker and go with it, good 'nuff.

Your turn!

I agree with you regarding Vietnam coffee, I miss my morning ca phe sua da. I used to find the way it was served where you had to wait for the water to slowly percolate through the grounds and into the glass annoying but after awhile came to enjoy the ritual and the anticipation.

favourite coffee shop my own

favourite coffee boncafe mocca bean ( purchased at makro far cheaper than the bon cafe shop) have access to espresso machine all day so don't have to drink any other

why is the text in this thread so wide or is it my comp

• Like 1

I brew all my coffee at home and I was fortunate to meet up with an expat that started an import coffee business. He imports beans from Vietnam and roasts them all here in Pattaya. He is based in BKK but his warehouse and roasting facility is on the darkside. Until I met him I was importing vietnam coffee (pre roasted) for personal consumption but my shipment got pulled by lamchbang customs and they made me pay all sorts of duty and said I wasn't allowed to bring in coffee without a license.

My mate has both robusta and arabica beans and he also has local Thai beans he roasts. If you are interested then shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with him.

He was selling under the name brand California Gold but I believe he has started a new brand called Route 66. I have never seen any of it sold here in stores and I think he typically charges about 600thb per kilo

Ground coffee in the mug. Add hot water and sugar. Done. Best thinkable coffee and prepared like that for 100s of years.

Whenever I have to have a coffee in one of those fancy schmancy frappucino outlets, I force the staff at gunpoint to make the coffee raro style.

sent from my Android phone

Ground coffee in the mug. Add hot water and sugar. Done. Best thinkable coffee and prepared like that for 100s of years.

Whenever I have to have a coffee in one of those fancy schmancy frappucino outlets, I force the staff at gunpoint to make the coffee raro style.

Now, which ground coffee is that?

favourite coffee boncafe mocca bean ( purchased at makro far cheaper than the bon cafe shop) have access to espresso machine all day so don't have to drink any other

That's good tip. I'll check out Makro one of these days.

I got a Senseo Coffee Machine sent over from Europe.

(And in the mean time bought another one which is in our house in Buriram)

Favorite Coffee: (all Senseo)

Easy Weekend or

Morning Americano

Espresso Roast

The coffee pods get brought over by friends or when no one is coming by Fedex.

220px-Philips_Senseo.JPG

Edited by MJCM

That's good tip. I'll check out Makro one of these days.

84 baht for a 250 g bag of beans and just over 100 baht for ground

I got a Senseo Coffee Machine sent over from Europe.

(And in the mean time bought another one which is in our house in Buriram)

Favorite Coffee: (all Senseo)

Easy Weekend or

Morning Americano

Espresso Roast

The coffee pods get brought over by friends or when no one is coming by Fedex.

220px-Philips_Senseo.JPG

Boncafe has coffee pads for your Senseo. 18 pads for 260, Baht. Each pad is individually packaged . I use the Decaf, and it's not bad, although the DE coffee is much better.

BTW here it's called coffee PODS

Yermanee wai.gif

Instant coffee is of course the poor relation but how you make it can result in a huge difference in how it tastes.

I was once told never to pour boiling water directly on to coffee powder or granules and that if you are making white coffee then to always put the milk and the granules in the cup first.

For me it works and the difference in the taste is huge.

For ground coffee I always buy it in small quantities and suck out the air from the packet after each use. I think the longer you can keep it from oxidizing the better.

If I buy coffee beans I keep them in the freezer and only take out what I need for immediate use.

Finally, the first coffee you get in the morning is always better if you can get someone else to make it.

sorry for the ommission! I usually buy at Foodland the Duang Dee Hilltribe coffe, the red-brown package - whatever blend that is.

sorry for the ommission! I usually buy at Foodland the Duang Dee Hilltribe coffe, the red-brown package - whatever blend that is.

And never ever instant coffee. NEVER. That stuff is not made for human consumption.

And never ever instant coffee. NEVER. That stuff is not made for human consumption.

Gotta agree w/ you there, man. Though it seems even worse here, for some reason.

Somebody above does like it, however.

Boncafe has coffee pads for your Senseo. 18 pads for 260, Baht. Each pad is individually packaged . I use the Decaf, and it's not bad, although the DE coffee is much better.

Yermanee wai.gif

Thanks for the tip, I also have something called a Coffee Duck (only works on some Senseo models) then you can use any ground coffee, how ever the taste is not the same as when using the pads or pods thumbsup.gif

image_cd_2.jpg

Yermanee wai.gif

Thanks for the tip, I also have something called a Coffee Duck (only works on some Senseo models) then you can use any ground coffee, how ever the taste is not the same as when using the pads or pods thumbsup.gif

image_cd_2.jpg

Maybe the coffee not grounded fine enough ?

Anyway I use a Princess because my first Senseo gave up after 2 months and Philips was useless in finding a solution for repair, and also (my experience) the coffee is hotter.

cheers

Yermanee wai.gif

I like a 10/15 Baht Boran from the mobile coffee carts in the street , beats the muck served up at most of the tourist orientated places.

Boran's got everything you need in the morning; caffine,sugar & fat ( carnation)

You do know that the coffee they use on those sock filters is only like 25% coffee. The rest is corn, soybean and other fillers.... That is why they can buy it for like 80thb a kilo.

Spend the $25 and get yourself one of these

http://www.amazon.co...words=aeropress

you will not regret it.

Looks like a nice machine but I will have to stay with my drip brewer .

i am concerned about cafestol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafestol

You missed the point that it uses a filter.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Micro-Filters-Package-of-350/dp/B000LTOCSG/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_y

• Like 1