Flooding Worsens In East And North Thailand

webfact

INUNDATION

Flooding worsens in east and north

The Nation

30190766-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The flood situation in many provinces continues to be of concern, particularly in the eastern provinces.

In Sa Kaew, flood water drained into the Prachin Buri River, which eventually overflowed and flooded the province's Kabin Buri district, affecting agricultural areas and homes.

In Sri Maha Pho district, residents have been forced to move their cars and motorcycles as well as pets to higher ground at the entrance to villages for fear that the flood water would keep on rising.

Some of the villagers have left their homes and are now staying on the road, which is causing problems for them.

Villagers at Tha Na market in Nakhon Pathom’s Nakhon Chaisi district, meanwhile, are filling sandbags for an additional flood protection dyke on top of the barrier along the Tha Chin River after the water overflowed into the municipality and the 100-year-old Tha Na market.

Local authorities are using pumps to drain floodwater into the Tha Chin River to protect paddy fields and orchards.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has reported that 15 provinces have been affected from the flood - Tak, Sukhothai, Pichit, Nakhon Sawan, Chai Nat, Ang Thong, Ayutthaya, Suphan Buri, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaew, Nakhon Pathom and Chaiyaphum, affecting more than 210,000 people.

Lampang governor Tawatchai Terdpaothai has announced five additional districts as disaster zones as a result of forest runoff and flash floods.

Twelve of Lampang's 13 districts of Lampang have now been declared disaster areas.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-20

If something happens regularly and is expected, why is it news?

KInda depends on how much worse it is then other times and of course last year made it news. I for one am really interested in it because i got flooded last time. It never happened before here so i keep my fingers crossed last year was the last.

Also its a good test to see how well the money the government spent was used.

If something happens regularly and is expected, why is it news?

KInda depends on how much worse it is then other times and of course last year made it news. I for one am really interested in it because i got flooded last time. It never happened before here so i keep my fingers crossed last year was the last.

Also its a good test to see how well the money the government spent was used.

Take a look at the weather patterns this and last year I personally believe if the storms that assulted China this year had hit Thailand like last year it would have been an instant replay of last years flooding.

Edited by MauriceVanTine
  • Like 2

Terrible for all those people........... My house got flooded 2 years in a row, I'm living near the Pasak river, so any news about flooding is welcome........

2 years in a row and this year might be the third year. sad.png I would seriously consider moving.

Flood plains & rice patty fields flood when heavy rains occur every single year in Thailand without fail and have for a very long time and will continue to happen for the foreseeable future. There is no economically and/or environmentally feasible way to eliminate this natural occurence but continued efforts and thoughts can be used in regards to developing and building in such areas as well as having limited ability to redirect the flooding to other areas.

• Like 1

It really would be a bit silly to actually solve the flood problem, as then there would be no excuse to ram through infrastructure spending every year which benefits the few at the expense of the many. The wheels need to be greased so that the cogs many turn.

Flood plains & rice patty fields flood when heavy rains occur every single year in Thailand without fail and have for a very long time and will continue to happen for the foreseeable future. There is no economically and/or environmentally feasible way to eliminate this natural occurence but continued efforts and thoughts can be used in regards to developing and building in such areas as well as having limited ability to redirect the flooding to other areas.

Floods in the padis.. What a crazy thing to prevent. However, rivers busting banks and inundating built up areas is really a matter of how high to build the walls.

All costly, but yesterday the budget for a 250 km long extra river was 200 bn. Dont tell me you cant raise the existing banks of the chao praya by 5 metres for the same price?

What lessons were learnt from last year then? It should not be acceptable for this level of flooding to happen againso soon, who is presponsible for the situation, its just not good enough, or maybe those in power think it is! The government should be ashamed, they are not taking care of their citizens.

Floods in the padis.. What a crazy thing to prevent. However, rivers busting banks and inundating built up areas is really a matter of how high to build the walls.

All costly, but yesterday the budget for a 250 km long extra river was 200 bn. Dont tell me you cant raise the existing banks of the chao praya by 5 metres for the same price?

Think about it ... walling in rivers across Thailand that are used by so many for commerce, shipping, fishing .... Walling in certain sections would just cause flooding in other areas creating devastation elsewhere instead of the natural flood plains.

What people need to understand is that flooding is part of nature just like storms, earthquakes and so on. Nature causes disasters all over the world and the best way to deal with nature is not to try to control it but prepare and build to withstand the most common events such as flooding in Thailand.

It is amazes me that some people (not saying you) act as though flooding is a new thing in Thailand and not something that has happened every year for centuries but has in fact been tamed greatly through man made infrastructure projects but you can only reasonably do so much to control nature.

Yes last year had the worst flooding in 50-years due to the worst rains in as many years but every year areas of Thailand floods even in cities and where they build things on raised foundations and use pilings hammered deep into the earth because they literally are building over a swamp.

exactly, it has flooded every year for the 15 years i spent in Thailand.

Its not certain whether the flooding is getting worse or if there is simply more reporting.

BKK however seems to have gotten worse.

Its much cheaper to just dig trenches to create new water pathways than to pour concrete and make barriers. Edited by KRS1

• 2 weeks later...