Have You Picked Up Any “Thai” Traits?

Gone

Well I was hoping that this did not turn into a Thai bashing thread but I guess to be expected.

I must say I liked quite a few posts though and reminded me that I also ca't go back to having no ice in my beer glass.

I also don't use toilet paper any more. lol

I have also learned how to use bunjy chords to tie a house worth of items to a motorcycle or to carry 2 weeks worth of groceries around one arm while smoking.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel dirty if I use toilet paper.

I mean, do you wash your hands with paper or water?????

I use both. Not drying your hands increases the spread of bacteria.

I've never been totally comfortable with the no toilet paper water only option either. If only because water hitting the area often seems to backsplash onto the butt cheeks...sad.png

I am afraid i have adopted the Thai attitude to being able to stand/sit or lie around and watch time pass by. Something similar to suspended animation . Procasternation has always been a trait of mine but now it is an occupation. Time frames have expanded to a plus 3 months or more . Soon it will expand to years and the "why bother" time frame . My gf even harrasses me about getting things done. Life is sweet in this trance like space of mine.

• Like 1

Sadly I drove the same way back home. But now I'm expected to pass around corners and race the traffic signals. One way signs are merely a suggestion and my turn signal lever has cobwebs.

"Turn signals different Thailand" (like electricity, plumbing, logic...)

Turn signals are to show what you just did, not what you intend to do.

In the 10 years I've been here, I have definitely become more tolerant. Things which , in the past, would have had me "spitting the dummy" now no longer affect me.

I wouldn't say I now accept shoddy work or second rate service as the norm but I have learnt to view more things as " not my business" or " not my problem" whereas in the past I would have been fuming.

A Thai trait ? I think so.

• Like 2

I've realized when wearing sandals I unconsciously find myself developing what can only be called an exaggerated "Liam Gallagher" Mancunian Swagger. My feet point to quarter to three on each step, the arms seem to become disjointed at the shoulders and just flail about uncontrollably, I lose all ability to generate enough energy/power to actually perform a complete step without dragging my feet along. And I kind of sit back in my posture, as if I'm locating with my backside an invisible Bar stool.

• Like 1

I used to own a boat but I traded it for a water pushing machine

I don't get it.

I've realized when wearing sandals I unconsciously find myself developing what can only be called an exaggerated "Liam Gallagher" Mancunian Swagger. My feet point to quarter to three on each step, the arms seem to become disjointed at the shoulders and just flail about uncontrollably, I lose all ability to generate enough energy/power to actually perform a complete step without dragging my feet along. And I kind of sit back in my posture, as if I'm locating with my backside an invisible Bar stool.

That one either..

Should I have started a "Thai Bashing" thread instead?

You did. What else could you have meant by "Thainess."?

I have to admit though, the comments are pretty accurate. Not anything I haven't heard a million times from other expats sitting in a bar.

Should I have started a "Thai Bashing" thread instead?

I have never understood why so many people live in THAIland if you don't like Thais?

Why would you think we are Thai bashing.

I actually think the ability to lie in any situation is something more western people should learn to do (apart from western politicians who are already taught that).

I procrastinate about everything. No worry, no worry, why hurry? There's always tomorrow.

Indeed, saying tomorrow in Thai is like saying manyana, but without the sense of urgency.

Tomorrow? Why rush if there is a day after tomorrow?

When I can't find something, looking in the most un-likely place and finding it.

Worst thing for going missing is socks. The servants seem to think that after one wearing they are used, and either throw them out or store them in a plastic bag in the kitchen. wacko.png

I once returned to my hotel after a night out, I had the very bright idea to hide my wallet in the most obvious place, in the theory that as it would be so obvious that no one searching for it would find it (ok, I had a few drinks)

Next morning, woke late and had to hurry to catch a minibus All ready to leave "Where's my Wallet" I searched for 10 minutes and couldn't find it, i remembered that I had decided to hide it in an obvious place, by couldn't remember where. Rang my frind in the room next door and told him I couldn't find my wallet anywhere. He came to my room, glanced around and pointed with his finger.

My wallet was underneath the hotel telephone that I had rung him with to tell him that I couldn't find my wallet. It wasn't a small thin wallet that was in a groove at the base of the phone. No, it was a fat chunky wallet (lots of useless paper, flights stubs etc)

i just had to laugh.

On the socks, I buy all socks the same style in three colours, Black, Brown, White. This way I will always be able to match up socks and should only be left with 1 odd sock from each colour. that is until one day, i am left with 1 sock only.

P.S. I don't wear socks with sandals

I am afraid i have adopted the Thai attitude to being able to stand/sit or lie around and watch time pass by. Something similar to suspended animation . Procasternation has always been a trait of mine but now it is an occupation. Time frames have expanded to a plus 3 months or more . Soon it will expand to years and the "why bother" time frame . My gf even harrasses me about getting things done. Life is sweet in this trance like space of mine.

I would like to thank you for the effort that you have expended in posting this. It's sacrifices like yours that restores my faith in human kind.

75% of the comments in this thread are in violation of forum rules. The other 25% aren't funny at all.

Hee hee, I wasn't sure if you had no sense of humour or were just winding up the posters. Yep, a windup merchant for sure. Nice one thumbsup.gif

Edited by I Like Thai
  • Like 1