'sleeping Beauty' Model Prompt Crackdown On Beauty Clinics In Thailand

webfact

I accept what your saying, but why does the Nation connect this case with Kleine-Levin syndrome then, as they say she had been diagnosed with this at a private hosptial in the OP ?

I would say it's a translation error which occurred when the Thai story was translated to English since Kleine-Levin syndrome doesn't suddenly appear when someone's heart stops beating, they fall unconscious and their brain is damaged due to lack of oxygen as it states in the OP.

The Thai phrase เจ้าหญิงนิทรา that the Thai newspapers often use for female patients who are in a coma or unconscious with brain injury (and they used in this story too in eg Matichon) translates as 'sleeping princess', and Kleine-Levin syndrome is often called 'sleeping beauty syndrome' so I believe the confusion occurred there.

I suppose it's just possible they did diagnose her with the syndrome but to do it that quickly? It's a disease of exclusion and takes a long time to diagnose.

Edited by katana

Patients seeking aesthetic treatments should ask the clinic's doctor to show his or her medical license

Yeah right, "Doctor, before you start the operation to remove the brain tumor, would you be so kind as to let me have a look at your medical license" cheesy.gif

why is this funny? i just don't get it. or is it supposed to be funny only to you, hence the smiley? I

the sad fact is most thais are terrified of doctors and would not question their authority, making them dam_n easy to impersonate.

the sad fact is most thais are terrified of doctors and would not question their authority, making them dam_n easy to impersonate.

I've spent a lot of time around Thai hospitals, and haven't found "terrified" to be my sense of how most Thais regard doctors.

I agree there's a tendency among Thais to not question the authority or judgment of their doctors, and many Thai doctors don't expect any questioning behavior from their patients. But I think that's more out of regard for their status and presumed knowledge. Hence why doctors are often referred to as "ajarn."

I accept what your saying, but why does the Nation connect this case with Kleine-Levin syndrome then, as they say she had been diagnosed with this at a private hosptial in the OP ?

I would say it's a translation error which occurred when the Thai story was translated to English since Kleine-Levin syndrome doesn't suddenly appear when someone's heart stops beating, they fall unconscious and their brain is damaged due to lack of oxygen as it states in the OP.

The Thai phrase เจ้าหญิงนิทรา that the Thai newspapers often use for female patients who are in a coma or unconscious with brain injury (and they used in this story too in eg Matichon) translates as 'sleeping princess', and Kleine-Levin syndrome is often called 'sleeping beauty syndrome' so I believe the confusion occurred there.

I suppose it's just possible they did diagnose her with the syndrome but to do it that quickly? It's a disease of exclusion and takes a long time to diagnose.

Translation error (epic failure) that is the reason for 'Bangkok Pretty....', instead of 'Bangkok Beauty....' too

Translation error (epic failure) that is the reason for 'Bangkok Pretty....', instead of 'Bangkok Beauty....' too

Not necessarily. A pretty is colloquially a promo girl

Edited by Thai at Heart

Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said on Thursday that the he has instructed someone to do something, who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn file a report that something was done, and enter it into the bloated, error-filled database for future review by someone with 35 windows open on their monitor, of which only two or three of those windows are work-related.

Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said on Thursday that the he has instructed someone to do something, who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn instruct someone to do something...who will in turn file a report that something was done, and enter it into the bloated, error-filled database for future review by someone with 35 windows open on their monitor, of which only two or three of those windows are work-related.

Who will in turn instruct you... Thanks.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said he has instructed the Health Service Support Department (HSSD) to inspect and strictly control beauty and aesthetic clinics nationwide.

Clinic operators who are found to be giving beauty injections without medical licenses will serve jail sentences, he added.

How's this in any way going to deal with the kind of fraud and quackery involved in this particular case?

The victim here had not gone to a medical office or beauty clinic, but instead, to the condo of some guy who presumably had no legal right to perform the procedure he performed on her.

I suppose there are some actual clinics and salons that do illegally provide these kinds of treatments, using other than real doctors. But that wasn't what led to this unfortunate woman's demise.

pity the gov;t did'nt care as much about all the illegal abotion clinics that are responsible for hundreds of deaths every year , .....the excact number we will never know,......nice to see they have their priorities sorted , the least thais deserve is a safe clinic under gov;t control/sponsorship not just for vanity ............the hub of compassion and care.