Nakon Phanom

Taco

For anyone who is in the neighborhood. Is it possible to rent motorbikes in nakon phanom? I see that air asia flies there and would love to cruise along the mekong for a few days but figure if its as quaint as it sounds that might be difficult.

question 2. i hear there is a 9 hole golf course near the airport somewhere. is that open and ready to get hacked?

and the final... decent hotel and watering hole... I speak thai and like to go local so up for whatever. places to meet a cute local girl as well? or is it way too small for that

any help would be greatly appreciated.

chock dee kap!

Yes, small motorcycles & bicycles, pedal saam lor is the way to go. Cruises exist along the Mekong, a little basic though. One can visit Laos but I think now that only Thais can cross at A. Muang NKP, Farangs have to go upstream about 12 km to the bridge crossing point and do the visa thing.

Don't know about the golf.

Hotel, I can think of 2 nice ones. Stayed at both, both on the banks of the Mekong within 100 metres of each other. The Viewkong Hotel - Have private karaoke rooms, nice riverside restaurants. Rooms nice. Also The Riverside Hotel, similar to the Viewkong (I like the Viewkong better). Beautiful sunrises if you stay in the riverside rooms. They are situated about 2 km South of the city centre.( Look them up on Google), Have hotels in the city centre, but you dont get the view.

Watering holes, nothing really farang. If you go to the clock tower in the city centre and take any of the roads that branch out from it (North/East-ish) you will come across local cocktail style watering holes/karaoke bars, small hole in the wall local noodle shop style of establishments. There are some nice restaurants in very pleasant settings, but you would have to ask a local. Good fish and seafood dishes. Quite pleasant and the locals good for a laugh. Try "Bar Koo", "OHIO BAR", Baan 117, Krua Kitty.

DUCK PUB (Night Club), typical Thai style, situated inside a soi on the right hand side of Hwy 22 (Sakhon Nakhon Road). It is within the city limits. There used to be another night club on the way out of town on the left side of Hwy 22 (Sakhon Road), but I think it is closed now.

Edited by bunjijohn

• 1 month later...

re: motorbike rental. I assume you mean motorscooters. There are 2 places I know of. Honda on bumrungmeaung road just up from the windsor hotel on the opposite side rents out motorscooters for 250 baht per day.

theres another place on nittayo road also but i havent used them.