Thai Resident Application - Successful!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious Lop,

Did you by chance have some sort of visa extension back in 1969? The reason I ask is from reading Arkady's history of Thai immigration laws, any extension of visas then was effectively PR.

From memory, PR as we know it wasn't introduced till the mid to late 70's.

I stand to be corrected on that though.

Do you have a Link for Arkadys' Post Samran - I'd be interested to read it?

In my case I arrived on a Non Immigrant Visa on 17 November, 1971, I am hazy about the actual process but I seem to recall that I was told my Company automatically applied for my PR and at that time there was a limit of 200 applicants per Nationality - at least for Brits but I believe this number varied according to Nationality.

Whatever the system was at that time I received my Alien Registration Book (ใบสำคัญประจำคนต่างด้าว) dated 17 February, 1972 (exactly 3 months later so maybe it was automatically issued by Immigration on the date of Visa extension as you mention and had nothing to do with my Companys' application).

I don't recall when my Certificate of Residence (ใบสำคัญถิ่นที่อยู่) was issued since I do not have the original - this document is in its 4 or 5th incarnation since it is stamped with the Re-entry Visa and Endorsement and Immigration stamps whenever I leave / re-enter the Country so it fills up quite quickly.

Slightly off-topic but another advantage in "the old days" was that I received a lifetime Work Permit too, not only does it not need renewal but it is transferrable between Companies.

Patrick

Sorry Patrick, I'm unable to recall exactly where I saw it. As you know, there are a few of us who follow this particular subject matter, so it is simply I recall Arkady talking about at some point. Suspect it is there in Camerata's guide to PR somewhere. In any case, I rather suspect he'll be along shortly to elaborate/correct me!

This doesn't exactly answer the question and it is from 1953. It will make you smile though.

That is gold, Dork.

Searching through old emails I can see that I had originally stolen it from 2bangkok.com which is/was a great site (often with some unique titbits) I used to follow regularly. For some reason it has dropped off my radar in recent years.

Anyway, here is the link.

Edited by lopburi3
link removed per forum rules

Searching through old emails I can see that I had originally stolen it from 2bangkok.com which is/was a great site (often with some unique titbits) I used to follow regularly. For some reason it has dropped off my radar in recent years.

Anyway, here is the link.

Good man! Thanks very much.

That is gold, Dork.

Yes though things have definitely changed, some not at all.

I recall Arkady saying that the Alien Registration Certificate was a hangover from the days of mass Chinese immigration. This would seem to confirm that. I suspect that if you asked why, even today, the photos have to be 6cm x 4cm and the red book is issued for either one year or five there is no living person that could answer you.

That is gold, Dork.

Yes though things have definitely changed, some not at all.

I recall Arkady saying that the Alien Registration Certificate was a hangover from the days of mass Chinese immigration. This would seem to confirm that. I suspect that if you asked why, even today, the photos have to be 6cm x 4cm and the red book is issued for either one year or five there is no living person that could answer you.

Thai immigration seem to have their feet in both centuries.

Nobody can doubt that the Thai passport service is one of the most efficent pubic services you'll see anywhere in the world, and now with the automatic gates, using my Thai passport, is a pleasure (although they still insist on collecting the arrival and departure cards, why, I don't know).

But then the PR system seems have elements which have changed little since the 50's or whenever PR was established as you say.

You'd think if they can issue ID cards and two year extendable work permits to Burmese, Lao, and Cambodian workers who are in LOS under the migrant labour scheme, that they'd at least be able to give PR's something similar. But I guess the anwers is 'no yet'.

Nobody can doubt that the Thai passport service is one of the most efficent pubic services you'll see anywhere in the world, and now with the automatic gates, using my Thai passport, is a pleasure (although they still insist on collecting the arrival and departure cards, why, I don't know).

Agreed. All the other ministries must get quite annoyed with the MFA constantly being so progressive & efficient.

Ok well thanks for the explanation. I thought that what you have just received was "Thai Citizenship" not just residence. Where you can vote, collect the pensions etc but this is new news for me. This took 6 years and now you also need to apply for citizenship?

I am confused however congrats on your status (I think.) tongue.png

PS: Can someone then explain what the difference is in Citizenship and this Permanent residence?

Easy, with permanent residency you do not need a visa of any kind anymore, you come and go as you please.

Only once every 5 years have to check in at the police department.

Not many more advantages, still need a workpermit if you want to work etc. Still cannot own land...

Citizenship is one step up from that. You become a Thai citizen and will get every right/duty any other Thai citizen has (some with a delay, you only get voting rights after 5 years).

No restricted occupations (can become a tuk tuk driver if you so please), can own land, companies and so forth without any of the restrictions foreigners have. For all legal means and purposes you are the same as any other Thai national...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Don't forget that you still need to do the annual pilgrimage to the immigration office to get a reentry permit. A multiple reentry will set you back 5k.

A multi entry permit was Thb 3,800 a couple of months ago?

It was 3800 baht 30 minutes ago as well.

I love my 90 day visa run - get to ride my bike to Mae Sot and eat Moei river fish! Of course, that's just a weak excuse for a ride...

Thanks for the update Mac - I might consider this if the current run-rate is maintained...

Congratulations Mac! I am sure almost all

of the rest of us would love to be rid of

the whole Visa/90-day Report hassle!

On the day of receiving residency I also had to pay 191,400 Baht in government fee plus some money as a token of appreciation. It was a long process.

You made a payment to a public official? Not sure I'd advertise that fact here.

For the record: such payments are NOT legal and NOT required.

True, it's not required. But you can have your picture taken with two officials, if you opt for such a payment. Although with this amount of appreciation money I would have expected at least the chief of the division to be in the photo... sad.png

hey, he got the immigration officals doing Charlies Angels poses.

Not bad value for money all considered.

Samran, these were no Charlies Angels poses but W sign of Walen school -)

Below are some examples.

Walen School

Knowledge is power - share it!

post-46756-0-80995900-1348587393_thumb.j

post-46756-0-13332400-1348587410_thumb.j

post-46756-0-53037000-1348587446_thumb.j

post-46756-0-73917500-1348587460_thumb.j

post-46756-0-20323800-1348587492_thumb.j

post-46756-0-90078100-1348587517_thumb.j

post-46756-0-54370400-1348587527_thumb.j

post-46756-0-86530700-1348587536_thumb.j

post-46756-0-71022800-1348587545_thumb.j

post-46756-0-11513900-1348587830_thumb.j

Edited by MacWalen

Hey I've Been living in thailand since June 2009 go back to my origin country every 15 months and get in a week a business visa for another 15 months stay. Now I'm having a baby but I'd like to get same you the Thai residency can you tell me what's the step to get it please? Thanks

On the day of receiving residency I also had to pay 191,400 Baht in government fee plus some money as a token of appreciation.

laugh.png

Having to do that puts me off straight away! No thanks. I will never give a satang extra to any government official to just do the job they're paid for. Even if it does spite my face.

Congrats though, on doing something many want to do.

Edited by cbrer

I have received my Thai ID/passport today. Very happy. It looks like it was printed 50 years ago.

I am confused again? Did you get citizenship or permanent residency? I thought PR. Does PR get you a thai passport?

Edited by yankee99

I have received my Thai ID/passport today. Very happy. It looks like it was printed 50 years ago.

I am confused again? Did you get citizenship or permanent residency? I thought PR. Does PR get you a thai passport?

he got PR. What he is getting appears to be the residency booklet. It isn't a Thai passport (I've got one of those, I should know wink.png )

Edited by samran