Thai Resident Application - Successful!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my Thai ID/passport as I am supposed to use it to identify myself in Thailand and use it when leaving and entering Thailand. At least this is my understanding what an ID/passport is.

Thai passport

The Thai passport is the passport issued to citizens and nationals of Thailand by Passport Division, Department of Consular Affairs within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For Non-Thai citizen who holding certificate of Permanent Residence in Thailand if holding a valid former national passport a travel document for alien will not issued.

Although they do call this a type of passport

Types of Thai Passport

Travel Document for Alien (Yellow cover) - Issued for Non-Thai citizen who holding certificate of Permanent Residence in Thailand for travelling aboard. This travel document must to apply Re-entry permit before leaving Thailand for travelling aboard.
Edited by mania

This is my Thai ID/passport as I am supposed to use it to identify myself in Thailand and use it when leaving and entering Thailand. At least this is my understanding what an ID/passport is.

You don't need to show the Red book when leaving or entering Thailand.

In his post Mac is holding a red book that should be his new Alien Registration book issued by the Thai Police. He will need an endorsement in it for travel. He must have also been issue a Certificate of Residence- blue book by Immigration since it is needed to get the red book. Mac must also have his passport (from is orgin country) stamped with the re-entry permit before travel. It is unlikely Mac actually has a Thai ID/passport since only Thai citizen can hold these.

In his post Mac is holding a red book that should be his new Alien Registration book issued by the Thai Police. He will need an endorsement in it for travel. He must have also been issue a Certificate of Residence- blue book by Immigration since it is needed to get the red book. Mac must also have his passport (from is orgin country) stamped with the re-entry permit before travel. It is unlikely Mac actually has a Thai ID/passport since only Thai citizen can hold these.

Actually, the endorsement goes in the blue book.

So where will I get my reentry? In my passport or in my red book? Which book will the immigration stamp? I believe not my passport anymore. I am new to it so I am confused myself. I thought the red book is my ID in Thailand that serves as an ID and also as a type of a resident passport. I am not a Thai citizen.

So where will I get my reentry? In my passport or in my red book? Which book will the immigration stamp? I believe not my passport anymore. I am new to it so I am confused myself. I thought the red book is my ID in Thailand that serves as an ID and also as a type of a resident passport. I am not a Thai citizen.

Re-entry visa will be stamped in your passport as well as Blue book. Exit & entry stamps in both books as well. Nothing in the Red book except for renewal every 5 years or change of address.

Edited by Payboy

Re-entry visa will be stamped in your passport as well as Blue book. Exit & entry stamps in both books as well. Nothing in the Red book except for renewal every 5 years or change of address.

Playboy, so when I travel I just take my blue book and passport and leave red book at home?

Edited by MacWalen

So when I travel I take just my blue book and passport and leave red book at home?

Yes, Red book not required to be presented at immigration check points.

When you apply for an Endorsement and a Re-entry Permit you will need to submit your foreign Passport, Alien Registration Book (the Red one) and your Certificate of Residence to Immigraion, although nothing is stamped in your Red Book.

Actually the Certificate of Residence is more important / useful as an I.D. than the Red Book, I carry small photocopies in my wallet in case I am asked for I.D.. As Payboy mentions the Red Book is only really used every 5 years when you have to renew it at the local Police Station.

Patrick

When you apply for an Endorsement and a Re-entry Permit you will need to submit your foreign Passport, Alien Registration Book (the Red one) and your Certificate of Residence to Immigraion, although nothing is stamped in your Red Book.

Actually the Certificate of Residence is more important / useful as an I.D. than the Red Book, I carry small photocopies in my wallet in case I am asked for I.D.. As Payboy mentions the Red Book is only really used every 5 years when you have to renew it at the local Police Station.

Patrick

Really appreciate this info guys. I was under the impression that the red one was the ID/passport for residents. Learning something new everyday.

Really appreciate this info guys. I was under the impression that the red one was the ID/passport for residents. Learning something new everyday.

Just to re-emphasise (probably not necessary but just in case!).

As a Permanent Resident of Thailand when you leave the Country (with an Endorsement and Re-entry Permit of course!) you MUST take with you your Certificate of Residence plus - obviously - your foreign Passport (the "Red Book" you can leave at home).

Both Passport and Certificate of Residence will be inspected and Stamped to ensure you can re-enter Thailand with absolutely no problems.

And - as I believe has already been mentioned - do NOT forget to get an Endorsement and Re-entry Permit before you leave the Country ............. do so and you may possibly lose your Permanent Residence status and have to start from "square one" all over again.

If you travel frequently - or feel you may have to travel at short notice - best to get a Multiple Re-entry Permit; at Baht 3,800.- it's not going to break the Bank. There used to be a facility at Suwannaphumi to get an "emergency" Re-entry Permit etc. as you go through Immigration but I am not sure if that is still available - and "fer sure" I would not risk it NOT being available and have to go through the whole Permanent Residence rigmarole - and expense - again!

Patrick

Sorry, but I just want to be crystal clear on the requirements & terminology being used, as I'm still a little confused. TM13 is for Endorsement of Re-entry Permit. From the above comments the re-entry permit goes into both the blue residence book & your passport? On this form there is no mention of single or multiple, just an application fee of 1,900 Bht.

TM 22 Application For Non-Quota Immigrant Visa. There is a choice for single 1,900 Bht or multiple 3,800 Bht. So where does this go? I would assume passport, but does it also go into the blue residency book as well?

As a Permanent Resident of Thailand when you leave the Country (with an Endorsement and Re-entry Permit of course!) you MUST take with you your Certificate of Residence plus - obviously - your foreign Passport (the "Red Book" you can leave at home).

Both Passport and Certificate of Residence will be inspected and Stamped to ensure you can re-enter Thailand with absolutely no problems.

And - as I believe has already been mentioned - do NOT forget to get an Endorsement and Re-entry Permit before you leave the Country ............. do so and you may possibly lose your Permanent Residence status and have to start from "square one" all over again.

If you travel frequently - or feel you may have to travel at short notice - best to get a Multiple Re-entry Permit; at Baht 3,800.- it's not going to break the Bank. There used to be a facility at Suwannaphumi to get an "emergency" Re-entry Permit etc. as you go through Immigration but I am not sure if that is still available - and "fer sure" I would not risk it NOT being available and have to go through the whole Permanent Residence rigmarole - and expense - again!

Patrick

And this costs 200,000thb.

Think I'll stick to my 5k Non-Imm visas thank you very much.

Edited by cbrer

Patrick

And this costs 200,000thb.

Think I'll stick to my 5k Non-Imm visas thank you very much.

horses for courses (of course), but for some the certaintly of stay without the income requirement, plus the stepping stone to citizenship makes the $7000 one off fee worth it.

• Like 1

Would Thailand really close the doors on foreigners and kick out those foreigners without PR or Citizenship?. Unlikely. And if it did I'd probably guess it would be because the country has become like North Korea and most foreigners (and thais for that matter) wouldn't want to stay anyway. On the other hand there are those that believe the $7000 for PR and citizenship is worth it for their own life plans.

Would a native born Thai think so? Who knows, but it's only the applicants own value judgement decision to decide if they want to spend that much money to reside here permanently, and the incurred costs associated with ongoing re-entry permits.

I'd don't know why there is so many negative comments back and forth on this topic?

Would Thailand really close the doors on foreigners and kick out those foreigners without PR or Citizenship?. Unlikely. And if it did I'd probably guess it would be because the country has become like North Korea and most foreigners (and thais for that matter) wouldn't want to stay anyway. On the other hand there are those that believe the $7000 for PR and citizenship is worth it for their own life plans.

Would a native born Thai think so? Who knows, but it's only the applicants own value judgement decision to decide if they want to spend that much money to reside here permanently, and the incurred costs associated with ongoing re-entry permits.

I'd don't know why there is so many negative comments back and forth on this topic?

Most of the poo-poo's come from people who would never qualify for either PR or citizenship in a million years. I think that pretty much answers your question.

McWalen, don't pay attention to the haters, congratulations , man, you are very lucky and you also expended a lot of effort getting that PR, I really would like to get it too, hopefully after three years I will apply for it, for me is crucial since my wife is Thai, my Doughter is also Thai, I love this country, its food, its culture and its temples, and finally, my country is so fuc_ked off that I don't want to go back, so , enjoy your the land of smiles, and have a happy life wai2.gif

Point taken Dave, so being more specific it is permanent residency. No more Thai visas needed. If I make a kid he will be Thai, taking a Thai queue at the airport immigration and few other things. In time being able to apply for Thai citizenship.

first congradulations.....You dont need permanent resisdency for you child to be thai. This assuming the mom is thai....

If it is not to personal what did this cost? Also did you have any surprises like having to sing songs?

Yankee, I had to pay taxes based on at least 80,000 Baht salary for the last 10 years which amounts to about 10,000 Baht per month, also time and money to prepare all the paperwork. On the day of receiving residency I also had to pay 191,400 Baht in government fee plus some money as a token of appreciation. It was a long process. I got accepted in the business category. I believe family category would be easier and cheaper. Did not have to sing a song but had to pass Thai exam but it was not a hard exam, just everyday chat. Also they talk to you in Thai each time I went there to make extensions and also this time.

So you are in for over one million baht, legal fees and a ton of paperwork - for this you get...?

No visa and need to report on departure (presume rentry?)

BTW I use the Thai queue with my wife and if I had a spawn it would have my name on the paper.

Why would you want the expense (1m++thb)? For what? Really, I am not seeing it. I see no benefit so help me out. You don't have to visit Immigration office??

I think there is a subset of guys that like to feel like they belong as much as possible, PR makes them warm and fuzzy. Another similar group are the document collectors: taben bahn, etc...

Not only loss of 1m but on interest, dividend, profit..

Edited by bangkokburning

Point taken Dave, so being more specific it is permanent residency. No more Thai visas needed. If I make a kid he will be Thai, taking a Thai queue at the airport immigration and few other things. In time being able to apply for Thai citizenship.

first congradulations.....You dont need permanent resisdency for you child to be thai. This assuming the mom is thai....

If it is not to personal what did this cost? Also did you have any surprises like having to sing songs?

Yankee, I had to pay taxes based on at least 80,000 Baht salary for the last 10 years which amounts to about 10,000 Baht per month, also time and money to prepare all the paperwork. On the day of receiving residency I also had to pay 191,400 Baht in government fee plus some money as a token of appreciation. It was a long process. I got accepted in the business category. I believe family category would be easier and cheaper. Did not have to sing a song but had to pass Thai exam but it was not a hard exam, just everyday chat. Also they talk to you in Thai each time I went there to make extensions and also this time.

So you are in for over one million baht, legal fees and a ton of paperwork - for this you get...?

No visa and need to report on departure (presume rentry?)

BTW I use the Thai queue with my wife and if I had a spawn it would have my name on the paper.

what is a spawn?

Congratulations, though your kid would be Thai anyway, right? A couple of questions for you: Other than not needing a visa and being able to join the Thai que what actual beenfits do you get for parting with, what, 190,000 baht?

As for thai citizenship why would you want it? other than to buy property and own a company?

Cheers

PS whats with the hand jestures?

so being more specific it is permanent residency.<snip> If I make a kid he will be Thai

If I made a kid here would he not be Thai ?

so being more specific it is permanent residency. <snip> taking a Thai queue at the airport immigration and few other things

Work permit also gets you into the Thai queue, I assume you have one for what ever it is you do at your school.

So does having a Thai Mrs.