2012: Best Locations For Exchange Rates In Chiang Mai?

Nobelcat

I've found some older posts about different places to check for good exchange rates, but I thought I'd ask it again since I don't see anything current on the subject. For people who have decided to exchange money the paper way, where do people go? I use SuperRich in Bangkok, but I don't have a clue where to go around here. I was using one place, but today the exchange rate was 30.70 compared to SuperRich in Bangkok at 30.92. It's not a horrible difference (less than 1%) but I'd like to find a lower spread.

I'm on a scooter so if the better deals are to be had outside of City Center, just tell me. Also, do any of these places publish their exchange rates online?

We often use SK and know many others do too. Contact details on older threads (sorry don't have to hand). It's on the street parallel to night bazaar rd, nearer the river. There's also another good place, can't remember the name, on night bazaar rd, half hidden in the back of a photo shop very near the beginning of the road, on the right in the block of shops right after Siam Commercial Bank on the corner with Thapae Rd. We got Swedish Krone there last month when SK didn't have any.

Don't know of anywhere in CM that puts rates online. Good luck.

S.K. Money Changer

73/8 Charoen Prathet Rd.

A. Muang

Chiang Mai 50100

Thailand

Telephone:

• 053-271864
  • 053-818118-9
  • 053-273208

Walking east on Loi Kroh, about 500m beyond Night Bazaar, turn left before the old iron bridge/River Market restaurant.

Edited by kaptainrob
  • Like 1

Yeh, so went there today. Amazing rates and I do mean amazing. Rate today, on a weekend, was 30.76. The best rate I can get in Bangkok today would be 30.80, so I only loose 4 baht per $100 and that makes a trip to Bangkok no where near worth it. So anyways, I was very happy. I did have a damaged $100 bill (blame Bank of America) and they wouldn't change it. I somewhat expected this and they told me to go to any local bank. So being forced to try there for my last bill, I saw their rate today was 30.40! So yeh, good rates, and especially good rates for it being a weekend.

• Like 1

for convience there is a place near Montri Hotel, I use these guys as easy to get too and no crazy directions needed. They have always had much better rates than the banks also a Rich on Loh Kroh road in the bar area. I have never used them so do not know there rates

Does anyone know if you would get a better rate for American Express travelers checks versus US currency?

The rates are better but then they charge you a fee per each check so I think works out to the same. Nothing like 100 dollar bills and travellers checks are not the security they once were. if they think negilence on your part no reimbursement.