Denon Avr-1603 Power Converter Question

patekatek

I brought my Denon AVR-1603 to Thailand with me when I moved from the USA. Before I go purchase a power converter from 220v to 120v, I thought I would ask on this forum what size of converter should I buy and trust it won't ruin my receiver?

I don't have the manual for the receiver and on the back by the power cord, it states 120v input and 4 amps at 60hz.

I assume, naturally, that I have to have at least a 120v input, but if I buy a converter that has a higher maximum output than 120v, will it fry anything in the receiver?

I do have one KC Transformer available that is 220v converted down to 110v/100w output and another that has 110v/200w output. My wife purchased these at some shop thinking I could use them. However, as stated above, I'm afraid of frying a component if I try using them.

Thanks, in advance, for any recommendations.

dj

120V@4A will be 480 Watts but that usually means absolute maximum and not necessarily what the average operational power will be. Your 220 to 110 100w is way undersized for the receiver. I would recommend 220 to 110 @500W step down transformer which is pretty cheap in Thailand. The voltage in Thailand can average around 236V from my experience which is about 7% higher and the 110 output will be 117V. This is not a problem as most equipment voltage ratings are acceptable within 10%. The 50Hz will not be converted to 60Hz though. However if it uses a switching supply, not an issue. If linear supply, then the transformer may get slightly warmer than normal.