Security Tightened Following Car Bomb

Lite Beer

Security tightened following car bomb

The Nation on Sunday

30190936-01_big.jpg

PATTANI: -- Security measures have been beefed up in the deep South following Friday's car bombing in Pattani's Sai Buri district, which killed six people and wounded some 50 others.

Pattani Governor Theera Minthasak said the insurgents had shifted from attacking officials to terrorising city residents and destroying the economy, in an attempt to discredit the state. He called for security to be beefed up, saying Friday's bombing might have been carried out by the same group that attacked the CS Pattani Hotel and a Honda showroom last month.

He reported that 26 injured persons remained hospitalised.

Combined forces of the Army and police tightened security in four Songkhla districts bordering the restive southernmost region. Songkhla residents were urged to look out for 10 stolen cars that might be used as car bombs, while officials manned strict checkpoints in Chana district to prevent any violence spilling over into Muang and Hat Yai districts.

However, the regional unrest continued yesterday with a roadside bomb attack at 11am in Narathiwat's Chanae district, which wounded a defence volunteer, Yasa Jehsor, 24.

Following a report of a suspected bomb discovery, Yasa and rangers from the 46th Rangers Regiment inspected the item. Insurgents detonated the bomb from a hidden location, causing Yasa's left leg to be injured by shrapnel.

Speaking on "The Yingluck Government Meets the People" TV programme, Deputy Prime Minister Yutthasak Sasiprapha rejected criticism that the operational centre for the Committee to Mobilise Policy and Strategy to Solve Problems in the Southern Border Provinces, which will be formally established by the premier soon, was redundant. He said it would act as a secretariat working with the Internal Security Operations Command and Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre to streamline intelligence gathering.

Discussions between the government and the opposition on tackling the southern unrest had gone well and the government believed that the Democrat Party's nine-point proposal was valuable, Yutthasak said.

Some of the suggestions had already been implemented, some were in the planning stages and others were under consideration, he said.

He said the decision of 93 insurgents to lay down their arms and surrender to the authorities was a good thing and in line with the government's policy to solve the unrest using peaceful means. However, he admitted that the government still had a 30-per-cent shortage of manpower in the region, hence soldiers from other areas would be deployed, and withdrawn once peace was restored. He said the situation in the region would gradually improve.

National Security Council deputy secretary-general Paradorn Pattanathabutr revealed a plan for next year to revoke the Emergency Decree in some areas of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat. He said the violence was limited to about 12-15 per cent of those provinces, while the remaining 85 per cent had not seen attacks.

Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej unveiled a plan to seek Cabinet's approval to boost the number of teachers in the South by 10 per cent and provide scholarships to the children of victims of the unrest.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-23

I wish someone would explain what 'tightening' security measures actually means? It is fairly obvious these nut cases are free to travel around and do what they want. So what exactly does tightening mean? They are obviously known amongst their communities so instead of pumping billions to projects in bangkok, make a substantial offer to 'dob' in these people - offer 100,000 baht or 1M baht as money is the most influential item in Thailand. 1M spent on a reward is nothing compared to the cost of the community, the army, the security ongoing. It is petty cash! Similarly for every other person they finger, reduce their sentences by 1 year, so dob in 10 others and get 10 years off yours after a conviction! And yes, that would open pandoras box for revenge tittle tat but due process of law if there is any down there, will sort out the players from the innocent. Just do it...

I wish someone would explain what 'tightening' security measures actually means? It is fairly obvious these nut cases are free to travel around and do what they want. So what exactly does tightening mean? They are obviously known amongst their communities so instead of pumping billions to projects in bangkok, make a substantial offer to 'dob' in these people - offer 100,000 baht or 1M baht as money is the most influential item in Thailand. 1M spent on a reward is nothing compared to the cost of the community, the army, the security ongoing. It is petty cash! Similarly for every other person they finger, reduce their sentences by 1 year, so dob in 10 others and get 10 years off yours after a conviction! And yes, that would open pandoras box for revenge tittle tat but due process of law if there is any down there, will sort out the players from the innocent. Just do it...

Informants have been used for quite a while, you're not the first one to think up that idea.

Tightening security most probably means we'll double the amount of conscripts riding 2 up on motorcycles , double the targets for the bad guys.

Totally useless tactic , can't hear anything , can't smell anything & visibility is limited. Also the soldier riding pillion is restricted in the use of his personal weapon.

Get off the bikes and patrol !!! You might find something .

Tightening security most probably means we'll double the amount of conscripts riding 2 up on motorcycles , double the targets for the bad guys.

Totally useless tactic , can't hear anything , can't smell anything & visibility is limited. Also the soldier riding pillion is restricted in the use of his personal weapon.

Spot on Ron - riding two up and a Honda wave is no way to transport troops or do recon work in a terrorist insurgency.

The Taliban would be dancing in the streets of Karbul if ISAF decided to use this tactic to move its combat troops around Afghanistan. And the coffins would flood back to ISAF countries

Edited by jonclark

Spot on Ron - riding two up and a Honda wave is no way to transport troops or do recon work in a terrorist insurgency.

The Taliban would be dancing in the streets of Karbul if ISAF decided to use this tactic to move its combat troops around Afghanistan. And the coffins would flood back to ISAF countries

yes. With all,of the available technology available in this modern era, there is no substitute for soldiers on the ground patrolling, on foot.

I often wonder when I read articles like this - where government ministers or spokespeople comment on the latest situation - whatever it may be - whether the source reporter has misheard or mistranslated what was actually said.

Either the latest solution seems totally ridiculous and detached from reality or there's an all too familiar feeling of deja vu.

Tightening of security being a case in point - I've lost count of the number of the so called military and civil strategies and initiatives apparently taken in the far South to tighten security and resolve the situation.

Now it seems there's a 30% shortfall in military personnel needed to provide the desired level of security, so more are on their way.

And meanwhile, we here on TV shake our heads in collective disbelief as this fiasco goes on and on and more people die.

I often wonder when I read articles like this - where government ministers or spokespeople comment on the latest situation - whatever it may be - whether the source reporter has misheard or mistranslated what was actually said.

Either the latest solution seems totally ridiculous and detached from reality or there's an all too familiar feeling of deja vu.

Tightening of security being a case in point - I've lost count of the number of the so called military and civil strategies and initiatives apparently taken in the far South to tighten security and resolve the situation.

Now it seems there's a 30% shortfall in military personnel needed to provide the desired level of security, so more are on their way.

And meanwhile, we here on TV shake our heads in collective disbelief as this fiasco goes on and on and more people die.

The 30% shortfall are all in coffins sad.png

yes. With all,of the available technology available in this modern era, there is no substitute for soldiers on the ground patrolling, on foot.

Not that it matters here, but ISAF troops rarely do foot patrols anymore ... too much Green on Blue issues. We've stopped training the Afghan military now, too ... but that is a different story. (And yes, I work in Kabul and live in Thailand.)

And for what its worth, Kabul is already full of Taliban ... including in the Afghan government. Sadly.

In the past 6 years, an estimated 4500 people have been killed from bombs or shootings. In 2011, a total of 108 school teachers had been shot and killed (this total will be more when 2012 ends). This is a war, not a scuffle...and if the government is going to do the "Thai way" and just hope it goes away, it won't. I believe that they are afraid to get harsh on these insurgents/ rebels because the trouble may go up to BKK.

The insurgency in the South of Thailand is one of the most bizarre political phenomena in recent memory. There are no stated demands. There are a panoply of splinter groups that carry out attacks without seeking recognition on any real political level (with the possible exception of the PULO) and without any organized, united stance. Bin Laden hid for years without being detected. The Southern Thai (really Malay) insurgents are incredibly inconspicuous and they (by definition) terrorize the local communities into obedience. The chances of effectively and competently using informant networks are largely nil. It would be easier to hunt down Taliban or Al Qaeda insurgents, as they actually project a stated motive. A murder without a motive is hard to prove.

• Like 1

Poor Hat Yai. I was first there about 10 years ago. The big bus station was an open area, and is now surrounded by a stone wall.

I was there for New Year's Eve a few years ago. There was a big street festival in the downtown area, and all entrances to the area had a police checkpoint. Yeah right, I thought, the usual BiB smoking cigarettes and picking their nose, but I watched and they really were checking people's bags (even mine) and not allowing moto-bikes through, and were being diligent about it.

A few years ago (maybe 4 years?) the tactics of these insurgents changed drastically, from the ruthlessness of the attacks to the quality of munitions being used. I think there is a larger influence behind this. I can't say who, but I have my suspicions.

Poor Hat Yai. I was first there about 10 years ago. The big bus station was an open area, and is now surrounded by a stone wall.

I was there for New Year's Eve a few years ago. There was a big street festival in the downtown area, and all entrances to the area had a police checkpoint. Yeah right, I thought, the usual BiB smoking cigarettes and picking their nose, but I watched and they really were checking people's bags (even mine) and not allowing moto-bikes through, and were being diligent about it.

A few years ago (maybe 4 years?) the tactics of these insurgents changed drastically, from the ruthlessness of the attacks to the quality of munitions being used. I think there is a larger influence behind this. I can't say who, but I have my suspicions.

I was in Hat Yai in 1991 , lovely place then , great nightlife and no security related issues.

The insurgents tactics will always change , to counter the security measures that the Thai authorities have in place. Having worked in Iraq since Feb 2004 , it is quite obvious that the TTPs ( tactics , techniques & procedures ) of the terrorists are following the same trend , evolving from small scale , basic devices , small devices to larger ( car bombs - VBIEDS ) , more lethal and deadly attacks.

The Thai security forces need to take off the gloves , and target these terrorists for what they are , murderous scum , who need to be eradicated !!