No Gap/space Between Tiles / Wall On Top?

We found a guy renovating our bathroom perfectly and so we trusted him as well to put tiles on our floor in the bed rooms.

He started and put just 9 tiles on the floor, yesterday we inspected it and found out that he did not put any space between the tiles. I have never seen tiles on any floor without a gap between the tiles. From my knowledge there should be a gap of about 2 mm always...

The two rooms are about 45 m2 in size yet to be separated by a wall. The renovating guy want to put the wall on top of the tiles then. Wouldn`t it be the better idea to build up the wall first and put the tiles then?

Yes the walls and door frames first then the tile is best, but if the tile is the same type in both rooms depending on the type of wall erected it can be done. There are ways to lay tile seamless - depends on the tile type - but most tile has a space for grout. If it is seamless tile it makes a better looking floor which is easy to keep clean. If it is the wrong type of tile and you lay it seamless the right amount of grout won't get in the right place and the seam will never be tight enough and they fill with dirt and look like hell.

The "seamless" tiles are called "rectified" tiles, referring to the "right-angle" or "rectangular" edge.

Inspect your tiles and if they have square edges, usually homogenous right through rather than glazed earthenware, a very small grout line is fine as RKASA says.

Edited by cheeryble

Thank for the replies so far... My first thought was that the fine small dirt when sweep out will fall into this small gap and become a dirty view...

On site it looks like this:

113tiles1.jpg

Edited by zappalot

Thank for the replies so far... My first thought was that the fine small dirt when sweep out will fall into this small gap and become a dirty view...

On site it looks like this:

113tiles1.jpg

this is a normal gap for the kind of tiles you're using,and it is grouted anyway,so there will be no space left to collect dirt.

it is not grouted yet...

i guess he will do it later then.

another friend extra just came to see this and he told us that it is ok so far. he is a condo project manager...

i am not an expert, i just thought that i have never seen tiles without a gap 1-2 mm anywhere...

Another one of the main reasons for having a 2-3mm gap is due to many types of tiles not being perfectly square and/or straight. Having a gap and grouting hides the imperfections of the tiles. The first time i saw no gap I too was dubious but the latest fashion is to buy tiles that are made specifically to be laid butt up to each other. Be careful though because tiles that are not perfectly straight, will look like a dogs dinner.

i brought 2bags of spacers from the uk before we had our kitchen built still got them the tilers didnt have a clue what they were,they didnt measure the amount of water&grouting ending up like dried flour,had to scrape it all off and re-grout myself,you cant educate mutton.

• Like 1