Mixed Views On Truth For Reconciliation Commission Of Thailand Report

webfact

Mixed views on TRCT report

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The People's Information Centre (PIC) yesterday attacked the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand (TRCT), claiming its final report on the 2010 crackdown plunged the country deeper into division.

Assoc Prof Puangthong Pawakkrapan, a representative and Chulalongkorn University Political Science lecturer told a press conference the TRCT final report paid too much attention to the "men in black" but failed to clarify who they were or reveal how people they killed.

Although PIC believed that the "men in black" existed, the agency believed security officials used the men in black as a reason to crack down on unarmed red shirts. He said the fact that the TRCT cited the men in black as causing the soldiers to die, the agency hence defended former PM Abhisit Vejjajiva who had responsibility for the crackdown. He said the TRCT should reveal clips of men in black to identify who they were as red guards and security officials also put on black during the unrest.

Puangthong said the report also failed to clarify if it was suitable that troops used real bullets.

Meanwhile, more than 53 per cent of people surveyed by Dusit Poll backed the TRCT’s final report, saying it revealed details, was well-studied, with fact, and evidence, and conducted by acceptable experts, who aimed for national reconciliation. But 46 per cent did not approve, saying it was not clear about violence that led to casualties. They also questioned the TRCT’s neutrality.

About 42 per cent believed it was possible to use the TRCT report to achieve nation reconciliation if both political camps did not to utilise it to their advantage, but 25 per cent said it was almost impossible because the country was too deeply polarised.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-24

Every government everywhere when they set up a committee to investigate something control the game as it is a show. They select people who are politically like minded, they set terms of reference of what can be looked at and commented on and what can't, they limit the information available to them, then, even then often they won't release the report as it still didn't give the answers they wanted.

How did that 9-11 investigation turn out?

• Like 1

There are too many grey areas.

The people who criticize any attempt to establish the truth are under the illusion that it is possible to prove black and white.

If legal decisions are made, based on unsubstantiated 'facts' there will be yet another division in Thai politics and society.

IMO nothing will be gained from trying to establish 'the truth' (an interesting concept in Thailand).

What happened shouldn't have happened.

A number of factors were present which appeared to trigger the problems.

That much seems to be as much as can be stated as a categoric truth.

Best of luck Thailand.

FWIW the Dunsit poll was conducted in BKK and nearby provinces Between 18-22/9 with 1084 respondents. Haven't seen that mentioned by the nation so far.

I'd be curious how many of the 1084 had read the report before being surveyed.

cool.png

Who cares it is a Thai poll and the one thing they don't know is how to take a non biased poll. Thailand the hub of all nonsense poll's.Could be they all read it or none of them read it.

How was the question phrased and what area was it taken in. Was it all collage students or people over 75. They can come up with any answer you want.

• Like 1

considering the TRCT recommended no follow up charges or prosecutions, would they have a problem with the proposed reconciliation bills by ptp?

somchai said "TRCT has no intention to bring anyone to justice or to blame anybody. Let us look ahead," he said as he acknowledged that both sides had their own "version of truth" about what happened.

no intention of bringing anyone to justice or blaming anybody?

what would his argument against amnesty be then, if in fact he is against it? i'm not aware of his view on it.

Edited by nurofiend

Every government everywhere when they set up a committee to investigate something control the game as it is a show. They select people who are politically like minded, they set terms of reference of what can be looked at and commented on and what can't, they limit the information available to them, then, even then often they won't release the report as it still didn't give the answers they wanted.

How did that 9-11 investigation turn out?

Pretty sure most of that doesn't happen where I come from. Obviously there has to be a decision on what is to be looked at otherwise it would never end. Sometimes there are security issues surrounding some information.

If the members are biased or the report isn't published then it will look bad for the government anyway.

FWIW the Dunsit poll was conducted in BKK and nearby provinces Between 18-22/9 with 1084 respondents. Haven't seen that mentioned by the nation so far.

I'd be curious how many of the 1084 had read the report before being surveyed.

cool.png

To be honest I don't read much TV these times. I see a lot of comments about the TRC report but so far haven't found any details of the report itself. Could someone be nice enough to direct me to the posts/threads in this forum where I can find a copy of this report ? Not comments about the report, just a fair summary of the main points of the report.