Anyone Having Trouble With Vonage Calls?

grahamb

I know there are a few Vonage users here so hopefully someone else has experienced this and has the answer for me!

We have service from Vonage UK and until recently, all has been fine. When I tried calling at the weekend, I get the dialtone (from the Vonage router) but can't hear anything after that - it is just silent. In some cases, I get the ringing tone from the other end but it goes silent when they pick up the phone.

I know the calls are getting connected because we had one caller who called us back based on the Caller ID. When they called us, there was no problem - 2 way audio. When we had first called them, they answered the phone but heard silence at their end as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? If yes, do you know how to resolve it? I would try calling Vonage's technical support but as that would entail calling a UK number and I'd have to pay for that while Vonage isn't working well, I'm trying to resolve it via the internet first!

Technical details:

Vonage Linksys RT31P2 router connected to SMC7804WBRA Barricade ADSL Modem/Router

Using TRUE 2.5 Mbps ADSL in Bangkok. Regular internet surfing is the same now as it ever has been and call quality from the incoming call was as good as normal

I have been using the vonage (Canada) service in Bangkok with True ADSL for about a year. At first it worked perfectly, but eventually I started to have problems. Sometimes the incoming voice would be good, but out going was bad. Other times it was the opposite. I never had the exact problem you are having, not being able to call out, but able to receive calls with 2 way voice. The cause of the problem was random latency in the True ADSL. If I connected the VOIP router through a VPN internet connection, I didn’t have a problem. The solution to my problem was to have a vonage technician tweak my VOIP line beyond the simple things that we as users can do. I can’t remember all the details, but he adjusted the latency buffer, data packet size, and maybe something else. After that it worked great.

If you can receive incoming calls without a problem, try sending an email to vonage explaining you situation, and ask them to give you a call.

Good luck!